Enves new 6.7 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

Quickdraw, your logic is verbose and peculiar :noidea: . I don't think it's necessary to construct a what the market will bear paradigm of the cost of hubs, distinguishing MSRP, "real world" (discounted online retailers) vs sale + ebay + gray market suppliers. One thing we do agree on though, it would be silly if you could buy all of the components individually at MSRP and save $300 by not having ENVE build them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quickdraw

by Quickdraw

BrianAllan wrote:Quickdraw, your logic is verbose and peculiar :noidea: . I don't think it's necessary to construct a what the market will bear paradigm of the cost of hubs, distinguishing MSRP, "real world" (discounted online retailers) vs sale + ebay + gray market suppliers. One thing we do agree on though, it would be silly if you could buy all of the components individually at MSRP and save $300 by not having ENVE build them

Funny, but I found your logic to be a bit off as well. I said nothing about ebay, gray market, etc. and only mentioned the sale price in passing. I was distinguishing retail, as you referred to when you said "Excel is selling the 240's below retail, so add ~$100 in to your wheelset price," from MSRP. They are not the same thing.

It is necessary to establish a price for the hub in the market and MSRP is not the price you would necessarily exect to pay, so for you to argue MSRP under the guise of retail is a non-sequitur. Excel sells the hubs at retail (and the hubs from Excel are brand-new and carry a full warranty from the manufacturer), so why would you have to add $100 to the price of the wheels, as you previously stated?

And I do not agree that it would make sense to pay MSRP (i.e. MSRP = "manufacturer's suggested retail price") for the parts, when you can get them at retail (i.e. more often than not, sellers set their own prices without adopting the MSRP). Lastly, you say "if you could buy all of the components individually..." as though that point is open to debate? So what's your point? Attack the messenger when you can't effectively address the message perhaps?

commfire

by commfire

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/ ... ets_177032

So these are apparently shipping now. Thoughts?

kdogg32

by kdogg32

So it seems accurate to say that the clincher versions of these new wheels will likely put on some serious weight.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Hey, maybe only the Americans will fully understand this, but it's pretty funny.

In http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/ ... qus_thread , ThatDudeOnABike 59 minutes ago in reply to j44ke wrote:"Ask your aerodynamicist if ENVE is right for you..."

bricky21

by bricky21

HaHaHaHa :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

First they have to create the name and then they can be marketed to after work racers for a huge price.

I'm guessing by this time next year many of our bio-mechanical optimization experts along with performance efficiency analysts will become certified aerodynamicists to the tune of $300.00 a session.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Well, now that you mention it, both Enve and that other product are about performance enhancement.

commfire

by commfire

Has anyone laid eyes on the 3.4's yet? The 6.7's are shipping, I am surprised they haven't started to pump up the 3.4's as they are to be released in Q3(maybe???)

ergott

by ergott

3.4 are due out in August.

I got a set of the 6.7 for myself to try out (can't recommend what I don't personally try first;-). Initial impressions are excellent. Weather and my knee are keeping me from really stomping on them, but I plan to race them on Friday. A sprint finish is expected. Report to follow.

-Eric

commfire

by commfire

Thanks Eric. What hubs did you go with? I would love to hear a your thoughts on them compared to the current line up....45's or 65's... once you get some miles under them.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Yeah, please let us know! I'm patiently waiting on mine to arrive:-)
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

ergott

by ergott

Alchemy hubs and CX-Rays. :thumbup:

-Eric

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We've put together a demo set recently and have been putting lots of miles on them everyday. Initial thoughts are nothing but favorable.

Yesterday was the first real crash test in that Richard managed to touch wheels on a 35 mph descent and went down really hard on them. After a visit to the emergency room we were able to inspect the wheels and found not a single issue with them.

We've got this set built with Tune Mig70 and their new soon to be released Mag170 rear, which I have to say has turned out to be a stellar new hub that has addressed just about every issue that previous models had. Total wheelset weight was 1361 grams.

A full report will be coming soon as well as a report on a visit to the Enve factory in Utah.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

madcow,

Your thoughts on stability in crosswinds, especially strong gusty crosswinds? Did that at all contribute to Richard's crash?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

It's been a bit unusual here lately, as it's usually super windy this time of year. Lately the wind has been steady and not gusty. I can say that they for sure felt far more stable in the wind than my current 65mm, I'd say they felt equal to or better than my 45mm. They are something that I'd have no problem riding every day.

As for Richards crash, no it had nothing to do with it. I think he was still mentally celebrating his being the first to the top of gates pass (which is really quite impressive.) Anyway, he just wasn't paying attention on the descent off the back side and while sitting in just overlapped a wheel.