Tufo Extreme Tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

I know their are threads on this topic. I always used a 3 day process for gluing new tubes on new rims. Anyway...I was talked into using Extreme tape for a set of GP 4000's on new rims. Is this reliable? They were raced in the rain today and seem solid. The will be raced in Belgian wet races next month. My question is if this stuff is reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

I've used Tufo standard tape some years ago when I used tubulars. I used them in really hot weather and in rain and I've never had a problem or any issues. Tufo Extreme will be stronger so I see no problem using tape instead of glue. If I ever go back to tubulars again I will use Tufo tape again.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

rainbowstripes wrote:I know their are threads on this topic. I always used a 3 day process for gluing new tubes on new rims. Anyway...I was talked into using Extreme tape for a set of GP 4000's on new rims. Is this reliable? They were raced in the rain today and seem solid. The will be raced in Belgian wet races next month. My question is if this stuff is reliable?

Thanks in advance.

I've used the tape and it's super strong. I've had it pull the laminate off the rim bed when I was trying to take a flat tire off it's that strong.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

buikpijn

by buikpijn

From what i've read/heard over the past months in tube-land is that the tape adds rolling resistance. (CRR) and the extreme tape is a PITA to remove. With carbon rims you might end up tearing some of the carbon fibre. It is durable though, the extreme tape is very tough/sticky.

The best way, coming from all different sides of independent experts, is to glue them using Vittoria Mastik.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

There is no "extreme tape" any longer.

They only make one version and it's not the same as extreme any more.

It's all white with an orange backing. The extreme was clear with a weave strip...

http://www.tufo.com/accessories-2/

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Please tell us how the new Tufo tape compares to the old regular and extreme tapes. Of course, I use glue myself, but in the interest of board knowledge ...

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Anyone know if the new tape might actually stick to Vittoria's basetape? The original extreme tape was utterly useless for racing on.

James_London

by James_London

New tape is fine with Vittoria tubs. I've had no problems with CG II, CX II or SCs. The shape of the base tape means the edges don't seem as well glued as a Continental tub but it's perfectly secure and I've not managed to roll one racing, hairing down alpine descents or otherwise.

Geoff

by Geoff

I got a set of Tufo MTB wheels from my Czech friends. They glued them up with Tuofo tires abs tape. I haven't flatted yet, so still have the tape.

As you may know, I have an affection for old-school methods, especially gluing tires. Truthfully, the tape has been fine. I can run the MTB tires really low, so that puts a heck of a load on the tape. No troubles yet. I guess I'll learn more when I try to remove it...

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

PezTech wrote:There is no "extreme tape" any longer.

They only make one version and it's not the same as extreme any more.

It's all white with an orange backing. The extreme was clear with a weave strip...

http://www.tufo.com/accessories-2/

Interesting....this was the tape...and it had "Extreme" on the exterior of the box..
What do you think?
Should I forget about glue and just use this?

Thanks

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

buikpijn wrote:From what i've read/heard over the past months in tube-land is that the tape adds rolling resistance. (CRR) and the extreme tape is a PITA to remove. With carbon rims you might end up tearing some of the carbon fibre. It is durable though, the extreme tape is very tough/sticky.min

The best way, coming from all different sides of independent experts, is to glue them using Vittoria Mastik.

I'll gladly give up up some .crr and ease of removal for a literally 15 min. process for two wheels....if it works....of course.
Thanks

hockinsk

by hockinsk

James_London wrote:New tape is fine with Vittoria tubs. I've had no problems with CG II, CX II or SCs. The shape of the base tape means the edges don't seem as well glued as a Continental tub but it's perfectly secure and I've not managed to roll one racing, hairing down alpine descents or otherwise.

Mmm, that sounds suspiciously similar to my experiences with the old extreme tape where only the white centre part would actually stick to vittoria's basetape and the transparent outer sections was next to useless. Certainly not stuck on securely enough for racing on unless you used raw basetape like on continental and tufo etc.

RWH

by RWH

Everybody here seems to be talking about Tufo tape, but does anyone have experience with Jantex tape from Velox (side effects like increased rolling resistance)?
Never give up, never say die.

James_London

by James_London

hockinsk wrote:
James_London wrote:New tape is fine with Vittoria tubs. I've had no problems with CG II, CX II or SCs. The shape of the base tape means the edges don't seem as well glued as a Continental tub but it's perfectly secure and I've not managed to roll one racing, hairing down alpine descents or otherwise.

Mmm, that sounds suspiciously similar to my experiences with the old extreme tape where only the white centre part would actually stick to vittoria's basetape and the transparent outer sections was next to useless. Certainly not stuck on securely enough for racing on unless you used raw basetape like on continental and tufo etc.

Is this based on having raced them with undesirable results? I've raced plenty on Vittoria/Tufo tape and never had an issue.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I've never seen anyone have an issue with tape... I have seen rolled glue jobs but never a tape job. And Phoenix is one of the worst places on the planet for riding temp.

One group of folks that always seem to complain about tape are people that get paid to glue tubulars. I've had a shop that glued one of my tubulars that rolled off tell me he couldn't believe I trusted tape :lol:

Glue done well is fantastic. I dont think tape is better in any way under use.

Tape just takes a lot of hassle away. And I've never noticed the difference between glue and tape in rr, and that's with the same wheels and tires and pressure and bike.

As for thinking the picture above was in a box that said "extreme". You're mistaken (according to tufo). The new tape was never sold as extreme, but the peel strip in the picture looks like it.

They believe this sticks more securely to more base tapes (but do not suggest any tires but tuff) and takes the same effort to remove, but comes off more uniformly.

I've not had to remove any so I don't know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com