Tufo Extreme Tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

PezTech wrote:It is a new version...

And yes it does make things easier and it works very well...

and it seems they made it wider :wink:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

LionelB wrote:I've used this tape once years ago (the regular one not the extreme). It was a major PIA at installation to center the tubular. But this was nothing compared to removing this sh*t from the rim.

Never again.

Mastik one works perfectly and is all I need.

I don't mean this at all as an insult, but You either didn't have the product being discussed in use now or simply didn't install it right...

Centering is extremely easy.

You peel off the wheel side tape seal and stick it to the wheel, but leave the tire side seal strip in place. Leave a small strip (2-3 inches) of the tire side hanging out.

You install the tire and inflate it a bit and center the bead (it's not yet sticking to the tape at all and moves easily). Once centered you pull on the tire side sealing strip (it's already centered) and inflate the tire and go ride.

The install will take less than 3 minutes and it's ready to ride.

Removal in most cases is also very easy. The tape strip usually stays stuck to the tire you're replacing, leaving only small patches of glue on the rim that can be removed the same methods as you would remove standard tubular glue... (taking a lot less time to clean up than a standard glued rim).

if the tape stays on the rim you peel up a couple of inches, roll it a bit and use pliers to pull it off... Again leaving a lot less clean up than glue, and pulling off the tape takes very little time.

There has never been a removal and / or re install of tape that has taken me as long or longer than glue takes... And / or meaning taken together and or as either removal alone or install alone.

And while I have seen incorrectly glued tires roll off, I have never seen a taped tire roll off first hand... and I live in one of the hottest places on the planet in phoenix Arizona... It's not hard to glue a tire well, but it can and is done. It's pretty difficult to screw up a tape job, which is likely why I have never seen a tire roll, despite very wide use of tape here...

I'm not saying glue isn't good. It's great when done well and guys that are comfortable with it have no worries... Another benefit to glue is that you can reused the tire more frequently and a taped tire is usually not reusable. Even when I glued tires, the number of times I reused a tire was so rare that it wouldn't make a diff for me, but the same thing that makes clean up a snap with tapes tires is very frequently also the reason that you can't reuse a tire... The tape and most of the residue peels off the rim along with the tire most times with both the old extreme tape and the new version... Simply full disclosure

a lot of the gripes I hear against tape are second hand bullsh!t and or about versions of the product that are long gone. It is very simply a much easier installation and through at ease of install, it requires far less skill to install securely.

I understand why guys who get paid to glue tires don't like it... I understand why some guys like glue...

What I don't get are a lot of the gripes that are very frequently not accurate about the ease of install and the quality of the product in use today.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Pez, I am glad for you that you are having a great experience with the tape. It was not mine.

I was happy with glue before the tape and I have been happy with it after. For me there is no hassle in gluing. So given that this is not broken for me I am not going to try to fix it,

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

a lot of the gripes I hear against tape are second hand bullsh!t and or about versions of the product that are long gone. It is very simply a much easier installation and through at ease of install, it requires far less skill to install securely.

I do not agree with this at all.
The reason why I (and most others) disagree is that those tapes come with a lot of hype and don't even answer to the basics of what a properly formulated rim cement should answer to.

You see, tapes like that are all about sticking it to the rim with as much force as possible and as wide a temperature range as possible without any "give". IOW it has no self-healing properties as opposed to a well designed rim cement.

Now, with such a tech, what's taking the heat? The base tape is one to be suffering and you are next in line when you need to push that shot tub off the rim.
In a nutshell, Park Tools site explains it very well. Euro, i.e. tradtional gluing as opposed to products marketed for convenience.

The fact the the new strips from Tufo are wider is a step in the right direction (Thx to Strobbekoen for pointing that out) which makes a big difference on saftety.
Nonetheless, it's not up to you or me to play guinea pig, is it?

IOW, you can actually manufacture a tape that does what it should do as easily as you can design a strip of polyester to make aligning tubs easier. After all it sells on initial conveniance brownies, not on performance, correct?

Note that if Jantex (Velox) would replace their silly paper strip...... Too many hints already.... :lol:

How about pushing that tub off a rim in the middle of Arizona? Or Alaska for that matter?

The point that you or anyone else for that matter has never seen or witnessed someone rolling a tub stuch with such tape is a cute remark but then I, or anyone else I know of, never rolled a conventionally glued tub either.

What I do know though is that a well designed rim cement does what it has to do without much inconveniece and it has done so for many decades.

Let us note also that tape, by its very nature, will invariably exhibit a higher rolling resistance....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

But after saying all that...

Tape simply performs consistently well and requires very little expertise to use...

Slowpoke

by Slowpoke

PezTech wrote:But after saying all that...

Tape simply performs consistently well and requires very little expertise to use...

Absolutely. I've been using Jantex for around 5 years, and have never had a problem with it. That doesn't mean someone else might have. It works for me. I don't ride anyone else's bike, and they don't ride mine. Just because someone else has a different experience, doesn't change the fact one single bit that it works great for me.

Experience. Tried and true. Consistently works. Easy. Fast. Durable. Proven over and over again by MY experience. If someone else doesn't like tape, I would suggest they not use it. I will continue to use it because IT WORKS FOR ME. Other people can use glue, zip ties, or epoxy - doesn't matter to me one bit.

If some self-proclaimed "expert" doesn't like tape, so what?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

So, it is convenience over performance?

If that's the case we no longer need to discuss anything in depth.

Jantex: a piece of textile doped in an inferior rim cement (Tubasti) with a paper layer on top of it.
Not all that convenient as the chance of ripping the paper strip is not unreal leaving you with a guessing approach on how to center the tub.
Surely you must have thought at some point that this old thing can be improved ? No one seems to bother.
I can see why but a tape that mimics a proper glue job CAN be developped, easily.

It may still be only slightly inferior to a proper glue job but it can be done.

Excuse me for wanting what's best for you. To me convenience is not an issue.
There's little point in entering a boxing match with your hands tight to your back.......

Ciao, ;)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

But after saying all that...

Tufo Tape simply performs consistently as well as glue and requires very little expertise to use...

Slowpoke

by Slowpoke

Like I said previously, that "textile" with the "inferior" glue, has worked consistantly for ME for over 5 years now.

Once I learned the proper way to remove the "paper" off the tape, I don't have a problem with the paper tearing or with centering the tire.

I don't care if Jantex is made out of Lasagna noodles and the glue is tomato sauce, as long as it works as well as it consistantly has in the past five years - for ME. It works, and works good. Easy, fast, convenient. No hassles, no mess.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

If you're happy with something that just "works" then that's fine by me.
Not saying either of the above does not work. Just not optimally so.

Ciao, ;)

Slowpoke

by Slowpoke

Glad you approve.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

PezTech wrote:But after saying all that...

Tufo Tape simply performs consistently as well as glue and requires very little expertise to use...

You mean convenience, not expertise I think.. Glueing is actually very simple, although it does take a lot longer, obviously.
As for performing as well as glue, that's not my experience. The tire does not feel nearly as connected as it does with a proper glue job. Just my opinion.

If the new tape is wider and thinner, that would be a step in the right direction (for ME :wink:) .

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Slowpoke wrote:Glad you approve.

I do not.

It's your medriocrity, not mine.

Tape represents a set of compromises as does anything else. Unless you are aware of what those compromises are and what the impact of your choice is, how can you choose?

Ciao, ;)

yongkun

by yongkun

Anyone used tufo tapes with vittoria cx tubes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IlFantasma

by IlFantasma

PezTech wrote:
I understand why guys who get paid to glue tires don't like it...

I get paid to glue tires and the Tufo tape is great.