Weight of pedal systems (pedal + cleat + hardware)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

I have searched other posts and the weight listings, but have not found what I'm looking for all in one place. Has anybody enterprising WW ever compiled the weights of the various popular pedal systems?

Based on Competitive Cyclist's website:

Speedplay Nanogram Zero Ti
2 Pedals = 130g
2 Cleats + Hardware = 88.5g (3-hole mounting)
System = 109.25g per foot

Any other accurate, comparable data like this out there on other pedal systems?

Thanks.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

savechief

by savechief

Thanks for the link, didn't know they had that on their site. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to include any of their competitor's newest pedals (Time iClic, Look Keo Blade, Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 or Ultegra 6700 carbon, etc.). Also, it would be nice to have an unbiased source for the weights.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

notsoswift

by notsoswift

RIDE did this last edition
They have a web version as well
At work so I can't post anything

ozdavo

by ozdavo

Keywin have a comparison on their new carbon pedal page

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Camilo

by Camilo

Regular (non carbon) Time RXS Pedals (ca. 2009): 250 gm
Cleats: 105 gm (including bolts)

Total package 355 gm.

austke

by austke

Aerolites are advertised as weighing,

Weight, Road Pedals -79 grams

Weight, TT Pedals -68 grams

Weight, Cleats and Hardware -58 grams

ave weight less than 140 grams

Hope that helps.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

timzcat

by timzcat

DuraAce 7900 Carbon pedals ~ 250g
Shimano SH11 cleats w/hardware ~ 72g
155g per foot

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

savechief wrote:

Thanks for the link, didn't know they had that on their site. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to include any of their competitor's newest pedals (Time iClic, Look Keo Blade, Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 or Ultegra 6700 carbon, etc.). Also, it would be nice to have an unbiased source for the weights.
They're unbiased and accurate. it just helps to compare your latest product against your competitors' older heavier products.

mfuchs1

by mfuchs1

Here are some weights I got off a calibrated scale at work.

Speedplay Zero with Ward Ti spindles
Pedals 157
cleats + Hardware 123
280 grams total

Look Keo Blade Cromoly
Pedals 228
cleats + Hardware 70
298 grams total

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Keywin CRM Ti
-3mm spindles:

Pedals: 192 grams
Cleats: 46 grams
Hardware: 28 grams
Total: 266 grams

Keywin CRM Ti
0mm spindles:

Pedals: 195 grams
Cleats: 46 grams
Hardware: 28 grams
Total: 269 grams

Weights taken on kitchen scale at home.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

HammerTime2 wrote:
savechief wrote:

They're unbiased and accurate. it just helps to compare your latest product against your competitors' older heavier products.

Not that I agree with Speedplay's marketing or business practices [because I don't], but the Nanograms are indeed a very light pedal system [and much lighter with the proper shoe]. Even if they used the newest products/specs, I do not believe you will find many that are lighter.

I do not agree that you need to add the weight of the 3 hole adapter to the total weight since you can by the proper shoe to eliminate the adapter. Less than 100g a pedal/cleat is impressive.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Butcher wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:
savechief wrote:

Not that I agree with Speedplay's marketing or business practices [because I don't], but the Nanograms are indeed a very light pedal system [and much lighter with the proper shoe]. Even if they used the newest products/specs, I do not believe you will find many that are lighter.

I do not agree that you need to add the weight of the 3 hole adapter to the total weight since you can by the proper shoe to eliminate the adapter. Less than 100g a pedal/cleat is impressive.

Problem is they are a limited use race day only pedal system. As such they cannot be compared to any other pedal system on the market.

From their own manual -
Speedplay Nanogram Pedals are for race-day, limited occasion use only and not for every day riding as the materials were selected for achieving maximum performance rather than for long-term durability

For the price they are asking I'd expect a modicum of durability FFS.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

ultimobici wrote:Problem is they are a limited use race day only pedal system. As such they cannot be compared to any other pedal system on the market.

From their own manual -
Speedplay Nanogram Pedals are for race-day, limited occasion use only and not for every day riding as the materials were selected for achieving maximum performance rather than for long-term durability

For the price they are asking I'd expect a modicum of durability FFS.
Well, if the only issue is durability (as opposed to reliability on a given ride when not yet old), then it really is just a matter of cost vs. performance. If Mark Zuckerberg rode, then I'm sure he could afford* to have a new pair of Nanograms for every ride, and therefore they need not be only race day.

* even after Facebook's stock price collapse the last few days

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I know that Nanograms are marketed as a 'Race Day' pedal but my imitation Nanogram pedals [alloy plates, Nanogram copied spindles, ceramic bearings, and Nanogram cleats] have lasted over 4k miles and a year of riding without any problems.

Yeah, there is wear on the bowties but they have yet to unclip under full power.