New wheels from 3T

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmilliron

by jmilliron

eigner wrote:Seriously guys. When have we last seen a new wheelset that isnt just incremental changes to old design?

Madfiber.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

maxxevv wrote:Will we get 'whistling' wheels in the process ?? :mrgreen:

Whistle while you ride, then squeal while braking - it's the start of a musical peloton.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spuds

by Spuds

I see no problem with them, provided the spoke tension is high enough that they will not detension allowing the spoke to detach from the rim.

I would even say that moulding the around the spoke bed (as opposed to through the rim wall) would be stronger and more durable. Less possibility of a crack propogating from a closed rim section than a hole through the rim. :noidea:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

etownfwd wrote:That rear hub looks an awful lot like the old Cane Creek Aros rear hub...

Although Cane Creek stopped making them a few years ago, they were pretty tough wheels, IIRC.

-efwd

i understand that they are licensing the nipple-at-hub from Cane Creek. probably have their vendor making the hubs, as the hubs don't look similar, they look identical.
i have to imagine that their slots are detrimental to the aero behavior of the wheel. could be negligible, i guess.
lacing pattern is old-school thinking IMO, i prefer either doubling the number of drive spokes or crossing the non-drive spokes.
we shall see...

kavitator

by kavitator

i saw them today...really nice design! hope ride them next week :P

etownfwd

by etownfwd

i understand that they are licensing the nipple-at-hub from Cane Creek. probably have their vendor making the hubs, as the hubs don't look similar, they look identical.

:smartass: Not to nit-pick, but if you take a look and the non-drive side on the 3T hub, it looks more like a Zipp 188.

Although it's not very clear in that pic that I posted before, the non-drive side on the Cane Creek hubs has the same design as the drive side.

I just wanted to make that clarification.

-efwd

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I dont mind the slots... But then water is virtually zero issue here. I dont think it plays against aero at all and the way it's loaded doesnt bother me as long as that insert has the surface area it needs.

Let's not forget where the new head cheese at 3t came from... Richie MC was the head of composites at Ferrari f1...

I wonder what the weight at the rim is with the design though. trading nips and threads for a retainer of substance could be a plus for weight at the rim or a minus... Guess we'll see, but if it were a substantial savings (or a savings at all) I dont think the marketing guys would have missed it.

I like the hubs. Liked the old designs too...

Aero wars are here though.

Folks seem to be either going for the old zipp shape and or doing what the thast 3 sets of wheels I've seen are doing and knocking off Fircrest.

bura

by bura

Quickdraw wrote:The article states, "In terms of weight, the Mercurio Ltd 60 wheelset (with 60mm deep rims) comes in at under 1,400g, which is up there (or down there, depending on how you look at it) with the best."

Zipp 404 and Hed Stinger 6's, both 60 mm deep rims, reportedly weigh 1,278 grams and 1,330 grams, respectively. The 3t wheels sound a little portly at around 1,400 grams.

Zipp 404 tubs have a rim depth of 58mms and 1278gr.
So if the 1387 gram weight on scale for the 3T set is correct they should end up with 1342gr for a 58mm wheelset.
The Hed St6FR wheels are real 60mm wheels. They would end up at 1285 gr for a 58mm wheelset.
Ok. I know weight is not down sizeable as I did it but just to give an idea comparing them at equal rim depths.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

mythical

by mythical

What will happen to the spokes if they are unloaded or compressed? :|
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

CharlesM

by CharlesM

If you do that enough to make it important, you're probably more worried about where your body will land because you crashed into something that would toast any wheel...
Last edited by CharlesM on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mythical

by mythical

No 3T wheels for me then... :mrgreen:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Got a pair for demo and so far so good - I will do a review on my blog after a few more rides.

Did not weigh them as they came from 3T already glued but had a chance to mess with the freehub and it's a pretty fanatic system the way it can accept both Campa and Shimano/SRAM - makes you wonder why this has not been done before.

Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Excellent!

You could weigh them regardless, then subtract the known (most likely) weight of the tubs.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ratfink

by ratfink

I really like the design. They could make for some great training wheels. I just love having so many options.
Mr.Gib wrote:I think this is where you are making a mistake. If it was my money I'd be looking for a frame that climbs like a scalded baby monkey on amphetamines. A goat on steroids will just not be as fast uphill.

nifrodne

by nifrodne

The only thing I dont like is the lockring, do you need a campa tool for that ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com