Cannondale Super Six EVO: Released w/ pics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

Maybe the new Evo has been found.... TOO COMFORTABLE by Liquigas riders?! :shock:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ttc359

by ttc359

djconnel wrote:The popularity of the extremely heavy Pinarello Dogma shows that other things equal more carbon allows for a better ride, so don't expect lightness without some offsetting disadvantage (unless it's from less paint).

I completely agree, but for a different reason, the Dogma Carbon - which weights in at close to 1300g for a 56cm, and costs $5000 for a frameset- is popular (at least for some) because it's drop dead gorgeous. We here at WW have an obvious certain bias towards lightness, but some people will take an extra 3-400g in trade for those beautiful curves and also the "Diamond" paint job (which really is gorgeous). I'd rather buy an EVO Red complete bike than a Dogma frameset alsone for the same price, but to each their own.

BCSS

by BCSS

djconnel wrote:I'm totally fine with the Cannondale statement. Do you think a 690 gram frame is going to be as reliable as a steel bike? Don't be ridiculous. You don't get lightness for nothing.

Hyperbole does them no good. The bike is a delicate, high performance instrument. You wouldn't buy a Testarossa and expect it to use it in the same way as a Jeep.

First: nobody compared carbon to steel, second: the statement refers to a carbon frame, so it s implicit that the reliability is with regards to carbon and not in comparison to steel third: again not sure where you got the statement from that anyone would use the Evo as mountainbike/ Jeep and go off-road? And from a topnotch manufacturer like Cannondale don't think it s too much to ask for performance AND reliability, after all Ferrari did get it as well and nowadays produces fast AND reliable cars, which certainly wasn't the case for the Testarossa.

In either case, it's more about the wording, which I think did them more harm than good

BCSS

by BCSS

here maybe some insights on why Nibali is riding the old SS

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/c ... ride-30194

"Apparently, at the previous evening’s dinner Nibali had confided to him that the EVO felt slower than his old bike, but that he also felt fresher at the end of rides on the new machine"

kgt

by kgt

"Apparently, at the previous evening’s dinner Nibali had confided to him that the EVO felt slower than his old bike"

That was my guess also. Pro riders like bikes that "feel" fast and responsive. As a matter of fact everybody does.

kgt wrote:Either this or the evo frame has a rather "dead" - "muted" feeling. Top riders always love frames that give them road feedback.

iceblinkluck

by iceblinkluck

The riders confide that the bike feels 'sluggish' and slower, but Cannondale claims the new features make the bike 'faster'.
What total BS. I think Cannondale sacrificed too much weight (and some performance) to try to dethrone Cervelo with the lightest frame title.

freemyheel
Shop Owner

by freemyheel

That quote also says that he felt fresher after a stage on the new bike, implying that he used less energy. Given the fact that the regular super six hi mod can already be built to ridiculously low weights, and the uci's (absurd) weight restrictions, perhaps the mechanics had to add so much weight to the evo that it changed the way the bike "felt."
K.P.A.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Every time I've described a bike as feeling slow or sluggish, that usually meant I was working harder, and that didn't help in hard effort situations.

For example, my wife had an 06 Specialized Roubaix Elite that I rode for some time while my bicycle was out of commission. The frame felt sluggish to me, and I always felt like I was struggling to go fast. I was having to work harder just to keep up. Of course, because it was a softer carbon frame, my entire body was not as worn out at the end of my ride like I was on my much stiffer Cannondale - I attribute that to the reduced vibrations overall.

It's an effect similar to the last time I aerated my yard. The aerator has a motor that propels the very heavy machine - it has two 50 pound weights that you install to keep it pushing down into the ground - so it does not require effort to push the machine. But the constant vibrations running through my hands, arms and upper body completely fatigued me. In fact, after an hour, I couldn't even hold a cup of coffee.

The Nibali quote makes me less interested in this frame.

cogsci

by cogsci

Some real pricing!

http://www.nytro.com/index.cfm/product/?ProductID=6718

I wonder where the SRAM Red version is.

djconnel

by djconnel

ttc359 wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/cannondale-supersix-evo-first-ride-30194

The Evo has 4 mm more trail in the tested 52 cm size than the System 6. No wonder riders think it's sluggish at slow speed (climbing). At high speed high trail matters less.

mythical

by mythical

Interesting observation. I also just compared the geometry charts of the SuperSix/CAAD and SuperSix Evo and it seems the differences are not to be underestimated.

I happen to like the stability of a 73º angle with a 45mm fork rake and the corresponding trail that's also found on a.o. the 54cm SuperSix Evo, the size of my choice. 43mm rake with 73º in comparison feels too nervous to my liking, where the bike can give the impression that it falls dead into a corner, which doesn't inspire confidence. Some like the directness, and that apparently includes Nibali.

ImageImage
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

BCSS

by BCSS

djconnel wrote:
The Evo has 4 mm more trail in the tested 52 cm size than the System 6. No wonder riders think it's sluggish at slow speed (climbing). At high speed high trail matters less.

on the 58 the difference is only 1mm, so the sluggish feeling would only to the smaller size not the larger ones, is that right?

djconnel

by djconnel

HTA, fork rake, BB drop, and chainstay length are all the same in the 58, so handling should be very similar other than factors related to tube design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

It's official. I made an inquiry today about the availability of a 54cm Evo Ultimate frameset so I'm gonna try and get one... 8)