Cannondale Super Six EVO: Released w/ pics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cogsci

by cogsci

What I'm trying to reason is this, I thought the issue with BB30 has always been the tight tolerances, susceptible to get damaged in install and removal. The infamous creaks etc. etc. Carbon Frames needed to have an aluminum shell in the BB to use BB30 though. So now they try to save weight at the frame by no longer needing the aluminum interface as the 30mm bearing will be housed in a plastic shell that is then pressed into the frame, but isn't this junction between the plastic and the frame as prone if not more prone to moving, flexing, expanding,etc.?

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

No, not really. And 'plastic' is not really a material.
PF30 has proven itself to be a more viable bb solution than BB30.
This would be why the inventors of BB30 are moving to it.
/a
rolobikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Also, PressFit30 on a carbon frame saves weight (no sleeve necessary).
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

funhog1

by funhog1

As with Nick Leagan,

Ancient Angular Adjustable contact is where it's ideally at for me.

My understanding is that plastic is a good thing for end-users with pressed sealed bearings in full carbon frames, in that they *may* compensate for variations in manufacturing and factory installation tolerances?

That aside, It just sounds wonky. I *thought* the EVO was full on BB30, regardless of the interweb description?
Buy it. & Ride it.
Only if it has a high margin of utility.

cogsci

by cogsci

I think it's some plastic/fiberglass composite.

So these won't be anymore serviceable than the BB30s but will last longer before needing service.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

funhog1 wrote:My understanding is that plastic is a good thing for end-users with pressed sealed bearings in full carbon frames, in that they *may* compensate for variations in manufacturing and factory installation tolerances?

If you've got a frame with a BB30 that measures more than nominal value+upper tolerance (V+UT) the PF30 won't compensate the variations. I think that the common practice is to make a BB30 in the lower side of the size (nominal vale-lower tolerance) and let the plastic deform (the plastic will deform more than the steel of the bearings) and adjust to the BB size .

With BB30 you need a V+UT size and maybe use nytrogen to put the bearings in place. With PF30 you need a V-LT size. The only real benefit is that you can reduce the size of the BB for PF30 but not increase it for BB30 after "bad" manufacturing
Last edited by Epic-o on Thu May 12, 2011 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

All I can add to the BB debate is that as a user of a frame with a bearing in a plastic cup press fit solution I have been very pleased. Zero noise. Could be a little more free spinning though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BCSS

by BCSS

sorry if I am a bit slow here, how does the Evo compare to the current SS in terms of overall stiffness (not STW)?

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Unless anyone from liquigas takes time away from giro or tour of CA to respond, you will not get any first hand info.
The marketing speak says this frame is stiffer than anything on earth by far and then starts referncing numbers like 142Nm.
Does any manufacturer ever release a new model and say "this i s not really that stiff".

limba

by limba

"it's our stiffest frame yet still compliant"
:mrgreen:

but I'm sure it is. Denk is the man.

kgt

by kgt

I hope it is also more durable than older Scotts

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

You can now pre-order at your Cannondale dealer. Expected delivery for Fall. No framesets, store demos or EP available in the foreseeable future (in Canada at least)

prices attached

very similar part specs compared to this years models
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 7.42.33 PM.jpg

BCSS

by BCSS

rgkicksbutt wrote:You can now pre-order at your Cannondale dealer. Expected delivery for Fall. No framesets, store demos or EP available in the foreseeable future (in Canada at least)

prices attached

very similar part specs compared to this years models

http://www.infinitecycles.com/2011/05/2 ... o-pricing/ shows different prices up to 1k difference, are yours CAD dollars?

ttc359

by ttc359

That noise you may be hearing is my drool hitting the floor.... at $5k for a complete Evo Red, that is a steal. Boy, am I glad I didnt buy the 2011 SS Red, I was actually pretty close. As in all things technology, if you can wait, it is usually to your benefit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

Yes mine are in CAD.

But it looks like maybe the prices will be the same, have a look at some more of the chart attached
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 9.59.36 PM.png