Cannondale Super Six EVO: Released w/ pics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

record

by record

I don't believe changing the frame alone is a problem here. These two bikes (evo vs regular) have exactly the same geometry, so it is no problem to achieve te same position up to 0.5mm, even a day before the 1st stage. Clearly there has to be something that these riders don't like about this new frame. Whether it is the handling, or they just want have more stiffness (they have to add weight on both bikes to reach 6.8kg anyway, so it's better to get more stiffnes with heavier frame and then add less lead), we don't know.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I think it's just a matter of athlete superstition: change to something new and you ruin your personal voodoo.

Riders may make the switch later on in the season when they're in a less important race, or just next season altogether.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

funhog1

by funhog1

Berry wrote:Do any of you guys find it as puzzling as I do that Nibali rode his new EVO in stage 2 of the Giro but hasn't touched it at all for the last several stages, opting instead for his old SuperSix Hi-MOD? If it really is a superior bike, then why isn't he riding it? Something doesn't add up here.

Not puzzling at all.

An individual's adaptability to *new* changes feel/handling, and micro-variations in bike fit are as varied as individuals are.

Some are like the princess with the pea underneath ten mattresses, and others.... well as long as it's got bars/saddle/pedals.

Regrettably, I'm like the princess. Hell I WILL NOT ride a bike I've not been psycho-dynamically FUSED too.

(I'm like a gawdamn avatar). New shit I DO NOT like.

Totally legit to ride whatev. :mrgreen:
Buy it. & Ride it.
Only if it has a high margin of utility.

djconnel

by djconnel

I think in summary you can say that while this frame is lighter, don't expect it to be unambiguously qualitatively superior. The popularity of the extremely heavy Pinarello Dogma shows that other things equal more carbon allows for a better ride, so don't expect lightness without some offsetting disadvantage (unless it's from less paint).

mythical

by mythical

I'm interested in the stack height for the SuperSix Evo fork. Does anyone have this information?

I hope it's around 368- 371mm... :roll:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

djconnel

by djconnel

Using the chain top-run as a length reference, I got 375 mm from the center of the front hub to the "crack" at the had tube. Not so precise, however....

krtassoc

by krtassoc

Cannondale statement...'no' technical problems with Supersix Evo: http://www.ciclonline.com/eng/bicycles/ ... lity-.html

BCSS

by BCSS

the PR guy at Cannondale should get fired, this is probably one of the worst statements I ve ever read: 'The frame (ok so what about the fork??) supersix Evo has no technical problem (ok no problem from a technical point of view, but if it rides like crap it not a technical but still a problem) , it is QUITE (it's QUITE realiable, I pay 3-4K and get a frame that is QUITE reliable, what that that mean only 30% of the frames fail??) reliable and there were no technical problems in testing for both road and race (ok no problems during testing, well we all know that testing and the real world are two different things)'...just aweful, makes me consider buying an Evo (which I am doing) rather twice

maquisard

by maquisard

Have to agree with you. I'm an engineer and one thing I have gotten used to when dealing with external customers or parties is being extremely careful how I phrase communications. You must always assume people are going to rip it to shreds and read between the lines. Considering this was probably written by the marketing/PR guys this is even more shocking! :shock:

Still can't get over that "QUITE reliable". :o

mythical

by mythical

I for one take any statement by any Italian with a large grain of salt. (Cancellara supposedly having a motor in his seat tube anyone?!) It's probable that not even Italians trust their own statements and they're making them just for the heck of it! :frightened:

In any case, I'm even more inclined to get myself an Evo to ride. Oh well, time will tell... :noidea:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

kgt

by kgt

Anyway, the fact is that Liquigas riders seem to prefer the older model.
The reason why is still not clear.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

'Stiff(ish) around the seatpost area, not so stiff around the bb area, not a great bike for decents' :| .

Just guessing................... :twisted:
rolobikes

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Just because it it "quite reliable" and has "no technical problems" does not mean it is a better frame than what they had.

The previous Super Six may actually be stiffer or more comfortable or handle better than the new Evo - though that does not mean the new Evo has any problems or reliability issues.

As others have said, sure, it has a great stiffness to weight ratio, but with such a lightweight frame, overall stiffness could be lacking.

Of course, this is all conjecture as I have not ridden either, but I am quite happy with my System Six and Caad 9.

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm totally fine with the Cannondale statement. Do you think a 690 gram frame is going to be as reliable as a steel bike? Don't be ridiculous. You don't get lightness for nothing.

Hyperbole does them no good. The bike is a delicate, high performance instrument. You wouldn't buy a Testarossa and expect it to use it in the same way as a Jeep.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I want to say they did an interview with one of the Liquigas riders at the TOC where they were talking about the new EVO, the rider gave the standard "it is stiffer and yet comfortable" line.

Then I swear they cut to a shot of the race and the rider after the segment, and he was on a different bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com