HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:35 pm 
in the industry

After reading this thread, I critically evaluated my Speedplays ended up selling them. I realized how much slop there was with the cleats (especially with the left one--the one that I clip out with at stoplights and such), and it really started to bother me. I was having some issues with my left knee and I thought I'd try to sort out the problem. Not to mention the expenses related to having to replace the cleats so often.

So what I ended up doing was getting a set of Keo Blades and I am seriously impressed with these pedals. The stability is great! Feels like my knees are far less prone to side-side movement, and I just feel a greater sense of being locked in (which is a good thing). And the ease of adjusting the cleats is very nice. However, I feel like a total novice as I have to learn to clip in again! I am so used to just not looking at my Speedplays and stepping down on them. I fumbled around at the beginning of a crit the other day because of this. Just another learning curve I suppose :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 pm 

Im still on physiotherapy, but improving my condition on the condromalatia. I found that moving the right cleat a bit forward (the one with the bad knee) helped a bit, since I have a larger left femour (yes I did try the speedplay leg length shim in the past but didnt like the results).

also, to the people complaining on the cleats wearing fast, google keep on kovers and be happy. I leave them on always and have never (and will likely never) change a cleat.. you do have to change these kovers every six-nine months depending on how much you walk around with them though, and they still cost half what a cleat itself does.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:38 am 

I hope I didn't offend KWalker, I come off a bit brash at times... :wink:

I used Speedplay pedals for years and when I went back to trying my old TIME RXS's it was like night & day, the change in stability was considerable. The amount of side to side rocking in the Speedplay cleats is awful and just got worse the longer they were used, I never had any physical issues caused by using Speedplay. I really think Speedplay need to do some extra development on their cleats, that's where I'd focus any future improvement.

I've now moved onto ShimaNo Dura-Ace, even more stable again but also more restrictive when compared to TIME...have to wait & see if I develop any issues...

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4