Basso bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marathon

by marathon

I am quite new on your forum and still learning when it comes to technical stuff... anyway from you gusy I learned a lot already :lol:

Just got an offer for a Basso bike - frame for 1.400EUR, seems like a bargin... but I don't know much about those bikes, can someone help me out and let me know if they are ok, somone owns one??

some info: http://www.bassobikes.com/eng/scheda.php?itemid=61

and a picture:
Climb, climb, climb ...learn to like to climb!

www.mojTrener.com
www.mojPortal.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

I don't know anything about them. I find their sizing on that frame a bit strange however. In many sizes the specs of the frame remain the same, with only the seat and head tube growing above the top tube level. See below picture for a rather strange looking example:

marathon

by marathon

You are right, I didn't notice until you pointed out.

Anyway I haven't found much on the net, except three reviews of some owners on who all said, how happy they are, they said all the usual good things, light, stiff, comfortable... accualy they didn't say one bad thing.

Don't know how much their advice count's but I know you guys are to be trusted.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/frames-and-forks/frames/Basso/PRD_299005_2493crx.aspx#reviews

www.mojTrener.com
www.mojPortal.com

jalapeno

by jalapeno

I had a Basso back in '92 when they were still building gorgeous steel frames in Italy with handcut lugs etc etc. It was ace. Now for the new stuff, the second to top of the line Basso Carbon frame just had a full road test here in the UK in Cycling+ magazine, they gave it a very good rating, quality and ride are up there with the Pinarello and Colnago bunch, and you have the benefit of riding something less seen.
-------------------
Gravitas est meus Hostilis
Painted Roads Cycling: http://www.paintedroads.com
Words: http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

marathon

by marathon

Thanks for the info :lol: ...I guess it seems like a bargin then, plus looks really nice to me and it's very rare to see.

www.mojTrener.com
www.mojPortal.com

DGSdale

by DGSdale

Hi,

I've owned a Basso frame for 5 years now. Its the olimpic (yes, that is the correct spelling!),Alu frame with carbon blade forks '99 model, bought in 2000. Not particularly light but then it is a mid-range model. its my No.2 bike, Daytona equipped & gets a lot of use. Doesn't do anything brilliantly but nothing badly either & is very well finished around the welds - bordering on as good as anything - & the paint finish is excellent. A really good, solid, reliable ride. I would certainly consider another one when I'm in the market.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

I saw a Basso at a performance bike a couple weeks ago... I don't think i'd pay 1400 euros for one. You can almost get a cr1 or something like that for that much money.

Coolhand

by Coolhand

brianwchan wrote:I saw a Basso at a performance bike a couple weeks ago... I don't think i'd pay 1400 euros for one. You can almost get a cr1 or something like that for that much money.

In the US, QBP had picked them up and it was a rare mistep for them- I think they sold pretty poorly. QBP then had them on massive discount (which they very very rarely do on any product) a year later when then cut the line and they still couldn't get rid of them. I think the remaining inventory were dumped on the Supergo's et al of the world for next to nothing.

So 1400 Euros seems way too much IMHO.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

mises

by mises

Coolhand wrote:
brianwchan wrote:I saw a Basso at a performance bike a couple weeks ago... I don't think i'd pay 1400 euros for one. You can almost get a cr1 or something like that for that much money.

In the US, QBP had picked them up and it was a rare mistep for them- I think they sold pretty poorly. QBP then had them on massive discount (which they very very rarely do on any product) a year later when then cut the line and they still couldn't get rid of them. I think the remaining inventory were dumped on the Supergo's et al of the world for next to nothing.

So 1400 Euros seems way too much IMHO.

Performance/Supergo had them for around $300-400 depending on model. I almost bought one because it was so cheap but the geometry wouldn't work for me.

Back in the steel days they had a very nice Rasta paint job on one of their frames that I still think about emulating on a frame someday.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marathon

by marathon

Hmm... You sure made me think again about that, but interestingly I found that the German Tour magazine tested them, and they got good ratings.

Strange that they couldn't cell them even for a discount... anyway I sure appreciate the info.

www.mojTrener.com
www.mojPortal.com