Praxis Works chainrings vs. Stronglight CT2s?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MARLON

by MARLON

I trie really a lot Chainrings.

For TT/Triathlon, Cx and Road use.

Everthing from cheap ( Gebhardt ), mid price ( FSA ) to high price ( MKV, TA Horus, Rotor, Campa )

Never use better chainrings than CT2.
BACK IN BLACK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SaminMoab

by SaminMoab

Slight bump here cus I had a question. Again, when are the Parxis compact rings going to be available? I'm a bit concerned that after 2.5 days I got no answer from the powers that be and am thinking there might be a problem with them. I just might have to go CT2...
If I can't climb, I must ride.

redoaker

by redoaker

ricerocket wrote:
reggiebaseball wrote:Why not pick up a new 7800 chainring? Niagara Cycle works $110

Because I went compact.

Rice, I spent many years on Shimano. Good c-rings, no one questions that. I rode FSA Super Rings for (2) seasons. Stiff and flawless shifting. All of my current cranks are compact but I needed to move to 53 / 39 as the 52 tooth compact FSA wasn't quite enuf.
I came across the new Control Tech and decided to try them out. They are super stiff, shift great and the sizes are based on a 110bcd (compact) so it solves the compact crank issue. I have 3k miles on a set and they look new. Now if Control Tech would start selling all sizes as individual rings.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24152

LloydP

by LloydP

thisisatest wrote:chainring life probably. forging makes the material denser, harder, tougher, less prone to wear.

don't really want to drag this OT, but forging as a process doesn't produce material which is more dense than other processes (e.g. casting) for nominally the same material (in this case 7075) unless your alternative process is not performing correctly. As Mr. Praxis points out, it is to do with the size and alignment of the grain structure which results in the other benefits you mention.

Back on topic, these look really nice! :thumbup: Top of my list next time my current rings die.

A couple of questions, though:
-everyone's comparing these to Shimano and Stronglight CT2s, but how does Campagnolo stack up, ignoring the obvious BCD difference?
-are there plans for other tooth/BCD combinations in the future?

SaminMoab

by SaminMoab

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find anything current. Does anyone know how to get CT2's through an American distributor?
If I can't climb, I must ride.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I would like to know the same thing. But I do not think they are available in the U.S. currently. (no distributor, I believe)

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

for the ct2's in America, I have not been able to ever find anyone... just order them through xxcycles. I have ordered two different sets on two different occasions and always had them in my hands quite fast.
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

Ritterview

by Ritterview

SaminMoab wrote:I know this has been asked before, but I can't find anything current. Does anyone know how to get CT2's through an American distributor?

Stronglight appears to use the French retailer XXCycle.com, the website for which is bewildering.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Finally! My future chainring set has been located.

Can't find the Shimany Yumeya rings anywhere. And I am disappointed.
But! When one door closes...another door opens. ;)
Kept digging and digging and digging and Fairwheel (THANKS FW!) came up with this review.
While I was ready to purchase today, I'm going to hold out for the Praxis set.

surfsjp

by surfsjp

mattiTWOROADS wrote:for the ct2's in America, I have not been able to ever find anyone... just order them through xxcycles. I have ordered two different sets on two different occasions and always had them in my hands quite fast.

Matti,

I'm having trouble navigating their site and was able to find a 53 and 39t in 130bcd separately but they show a 1 and 2 degree marks on them. Do you know what I would need for a Sram Red crankset in 130 (standard)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ritterview

by Ritterview

surfsjp wrote:I'm having trouble navigating their site...

Its not you. XXCycle is impossible to figure out. I never realized chainrings could be so complicated. It is like some French practical joke. I just wanted to figure out which Stronglight outer chainring was meant to work as part of a triple. Couldn't figure anything. Then I emailed them, and it only got worse. They recommended I toss my Lightning outboard bearing tandem cranks and replace it with a square taper Stronglight or Campy (though Campy doesn't make a tandem crankset). I never did get the answer about which Stronglight outer chainrings would work with a triple.

Oh, that a good US or UK retailer would only become a Stronglight distributor. Maybe one of our industry WW contributors can explain why this doesn't/can't happen.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

surfsjp wrote:
mattiTWOROADS wrote:for the ct2's in America, I have not been able to ever find anyone... just order them through xxcycles. I have ordered two different sets on two different occasions and always had them in my hands quite fast.

Matti,

I'm having trouble navigating their site and was able to find a 53 and 39t in 130bcd separately but they show a 1 and 2 degree marks on them. Do you know what I would need for a Sram Red crankset in 130 (standard)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The degree marks just indicate position. Inner or outer. Buy one 39T 2° ring, and one 53T 1° ring.

Ritterview: I'm guessing they don't make a triple application, since they only list 110mm and 130mm BCDs.

surfsjp

by surfsjp

thanks for the confirmation, my head was spinning on that site. They seem to have 2 versions of the same thing, one also branded Bio-concept.

Here were my choices:

130 CT2 2° 10/11 Speed (inner)
BioConcept 130 CT2 INNER
130 CT2 1° 10 /11Speed TYPE S (outer)
BioConcept 130 CT2 OUTER
BioConcept 130 Kit CT2

If anyone can make sense of the choices, it would be appreciated. Again, I'm just looking to replace my Standard SRAM Red 53/39 130bcd chainrings.

surfsjp

by surfsjp

ricerocket wrote:
surfsjp wrote:

Matti,

The degree marks just indicate position. Inner or outer. Buy one 39T 2° ring, and one 53T 1° ring.

Ritterview: I'm guessing they don't make a triple application, since they only list 110mm and 130mm BCDs.

WW saved me again - thanks for your help Ricerocket!

Woohoo, finally hit 30 posts, now I can post a bunch of good stuff in the marketplace...

What's the TYPE S for on the outer? (I'm hoping this just means Sram/Shimano)

nuttymango

by nuttymango

Thirty posts before you can use the "For Sale" forum? Guess I better get busy. I've been lurking here for years but can't remember the last time I posted. Have some 135mm BCD CT2 11s chain rings so my post is kinda distantly related to the subject at hand. Sorta.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com