Praxis Works chainrings vs. Stronglight CT2s?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FreaK

by FreaK

The bum didn't show ME the carbon crank! I got a few pics of the now defunct alu crank that'll be posted up on FB soon. The rings are the same and the general shape of the non driveside arm is the same, i can imagine some similarities on the driveside, i'm kind of curious. He mentioned the carbon replacement several times while i was talking to him at the IBike booth but didn't hint that he had one in a box behind the counter. I do however wonder about the right angle right next to the bearing.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

16.67lbs before Praxis Rings & Far & Near Bolts:

16.57lbs after (28g+ gone):

Few more pics at...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84704&p=809872#p809872

FreaK

by FreaK

as promised
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

mythical

by mythical

Looks stiff!
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

SMITHERS

by SMITHERS

2ndgen wrote:16.67lbs before Praxis Rings & Far & Near Bolts:

16.57lbs after (28g+ gone):

Few more pics at...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84704&p=809872#p809872

Can you give us a ride report?

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

SMITHERS wrote:Can you give us a ride report?

These rings shift like butter Smithers. I love them.
And, they feel noticeably stiffer than the 7800 rings I had on it.
I don't know what else to say other than I'm really happy with them.

Dov

by Dov

My Praxis rings keep dropping the chain down on to the BB shell under load. No idea why.

Any thoughts?
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

bent tooth, bent chain link?

Dov

by Dov

Chainrings are brand new. I'll check the chain over tonight
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Strava

AptosBigRing
in the industry

by AptosBigRing

Dov wrote:Chainrings are brand new. I'll check the chain over tonight
Dov wrote:Chainrings are brand new. I'll check the chain over tonight

Hi Dov,
Drop us an email at sales@praxis-works.com and we'll figure out the issue!
Thanks!
-Praxis Works
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Santa Cruz, CA
www.praxis-works.com

Dov

by Dov

I've had a set of these on the bike now for over 2500km. They're good. Really good.

It hasn't been all plain sailing though, I got sent a set from Adam at Praxis and started out with the traditional rings but the chain kept dropping down on to the BB shell under load, a quick chat with Adam told me the rings were from a bad batch and another was sent across the pond express delivery. Thanks!

New rings mounted, all my chain drop problems dissappeared and the shifts were up to the standard of SRAM Red but still a little slower than I had hoped for having read the previous testimonials and their intenet blurb. Another chat with Adam revealed the rings are optimized for use with Shimano and that if I changed out the chain I'd notice the difference. He wasn't wrong and once I'd dropped on a DA chain and cassette the drivetrain noise was cut down to a quiet purr and the SRAM Red shifting was crisper than I'd ever found it before. Up shifting is the biggest improvement, it's noticeably quicker and sharper, even under load.

I've really got in to this testing. Whilst descending at about 45km my rear skewer snapped and wheel jumped out the dropouts, before I knew what was happening I was sliding down the road on my rear mech and the big ring, sparks flying out as I descended. The rings were kaput but took the abuse admirably and I managed to stay upright.

Back on to Praxis and they obligingly sent me a replacement set, this time in the clover leaf design. If anything this set is even stiffer than the traditional pattern and the look of them really suits the SRAM Red crank arms. I've been running these now for 2000km without any issue, in the worst of the British weather and with zero care taken, (I'm a very poor cleaner of bikes) they just won't give up.

As an upgrade I've found these to really make a noticeable difference to your front shifting on SRAM. Note that to get the best out of them though you really need to run them with a Shimano chain/cassette although I'm assured that the KMC is also a good pairing.

If their crank is anywhere near as good as their rings then it'll be a top product.
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Strava

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Dov wrote:I've had a set of these on the bike now for over 2500km. They're good. Really good.

It hasn't been all plain sailing though, I got sent a set from Adam at Praxis and started out with the traditional rings but the chain kept dropping down on to the BB shell under load, a quick chat with Adam told me the rings were from a bad batch and another was sent across the pond express delivery. Thanks!

New rings mounted, all my chain drop problems dissappeared and the shifts were up to the standard of SRAM Red but still a little slower than I had hoped for having read the previous testimonials and their intenet blurb. Another chat with Adam revealed the rings are optimized for use with Shimano and that if I changed out the chain I'd notice the difference. He wasn't wrong and once I'd dropped on a DA chain and cassette the drivetrain noise was cut down to a quiet purr and the SRAM Red shifting was crisper than I'd ever found it before. Up shifting is the biggest improvement, it's noticeably quicker and sharper, even under load.

I've really got in to this testing. Whilst descending at about 45km my rear skewer snapped and wheel jumped out the dropouts, before I knew what was happening I was sliding down the road on my rear mech and the big ring, sparks flying out as I descended. The rings were kaput but took the abuse admirably and I managed to stay upright.

Back on to Praxis and they obligingly sent me a replacement set, this time in the clover leaf design. If anything this set is even stiffer than the traditional pattern and the look of them really suits the SRAM Red crank arms. I've been running these now for 2000km without any issue, in the worst of the British weather and with zero care taken, (I'm a very poor cleaner of bikes) they just won't give up.

As an upgrade I've found these to really make a noticeable difference to your front shifting on SRAM. Note that to get the best out of them though you really need to run them with a Shimano chain/cassette although I'm assured that the KMC is also a good pairing.

If their crank is anywhere near as good as their rings then it'll be a top product.

:shock:

Wow that's heavy!!!!

EpicRide

by EpicRide

Dov wrote:(...) Whilst descending at about 45km my rear skewer snapped and wheel jumped out the dropouts (...)

Hope you did not get hurt...

What kind of skewers were you using?
~ Men of steel need fibre ~

anderz

by anderz

A point worth mentioning is that if you have a CinQo Saturn from Quarq they're not able to calibrate the CinQo with Praxis rings. I tried to get my Saturn and Saturn 2 calibrated with the 50/36 rings but Quarq said it was impossible to get a stable reading.
I'm back on Stronglight CT2's now which is 98% as good as the Praxis rings but would really liked to use the new rings instead.

boysa

by boysa

I'm getting ready to purchase a new Quarq and was hoping to pair the Praxis rings with a 3D Rotor crankset, but received an email from Quarq today saying they had trouble calibrating with the Praxis. Guess it's Stronglight for me too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com