Spada Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Joel

by Joel

Here in Belgium, most pros use high carbon (Antara, Speedlite, Corima Aero) or low profile, like Ksyrium or custom build.
They use high carbon rims (better in the mud) of about 350g, so the Winium rims is good.
I only don't know if those Spada hubs are still good after one wet muddy race?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

so 800 bucks for the spada hubs with american classic CR350? i will call up AC to see what pressure is allowed with their rims. but i would still like to know the rims stiffness. if anyone has some info on this please share.

Superlite

by Superlite

Dude, its an aluminum rim, there are not going to be any pressure limits. Only carbon rims have limits.

spytech

by spytech

Dude, my mavic ksyriums sl have a pressure limit its 146 psi

This is right off their page:
TIRE SIZE MAXIMUM PRESSURE
mm bars psi

19 10.00 146.00

23 9.50 138.00

25 9.00 131.00

28 8.00 117.00

i know you know your cycling stuff, but sometimes you could be wrong.
Attachments
mavic.JPG

Superlite

by Superlite

Thats not a pressure limit for the rim, its a recomended pressure limit for the tire. The rim can handle quite a bit more pressure then that. There just saying for maximum performance don't go over that pressure. Think about it, why else would they have different pressure limits for the rim with different tires. The tire can't make the rim stronger, so how can changing it's size determine the maximum pressure?

spytech

by spytech

a wider tire can apply more pressure to the rim, a smaller tire can have the same amount of pressure in a smaller area, and thus stress the rim less. and it is max infaltion tire pressure for this rim. so it does have a limit.

Take a tufo elite tub/clincher which has a max psi of 220, and inflate to the max with this rim, i would love to hear how the rim sounds.

Superlite

by Superlite

Just trust me on this, the pressure limits given for the Mavic is nothing more then a remended tire pressure guide for standard tires. When pros are using contental supersonics on there they have them pumped up to 170PSI. You don't see the rims blowing up do ya? :wink: The rim itself has no limits, unless you plan on pumping it up to 500PSI. :wink:

And what do you mean you'd love to hear how the rim sounds? It will sound loud do to high pressure, buts it's not going to blow up.

spytech

by spytech

ok, im not planning on using more than 130psi anyways. but i would still like to know about the cr350 rims, and how stiff is the rim. i dont think its as stiff as my ksyriums, or are they?

Superlite

by Superlite

Well I don't have any experiance with them, but from my understanding they are more climbing specific, so I'm guessing not very stiff. If you want a really stiff and fast rim get the 420's, I just got mine and I love em! I can honestly say they are the sweetest clinchers I have ever ridden, and I've ridden them all. Well, almost all of them.

The stiffness is amazing! Super stiff, no flex. They are fast! Unbeleivable fast. Did I mention there fast? :wink: Not the lightest with bladed spokes, 1487g with 16/20 DT bladed spokes, but with the sapim x ray's there down to 1375g. If weight isn't the biggest issue, not that these are heavy, and you want stiffness and speed then get these. There sweet!

spytech

by spytech

would you say the cr420 are stiffer or as stiff as the ksyrium sl.

can i get the spada hubs with the AC CR420 rims? if so how much?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Dude, its an aluminum rim, there are not going to be any pressure limits. Only carbon rims have limits.

Ever seen a rim blow out at the braking surface? I've seen a new rim do it....

Mavic did put pressure limits on their rims for several years now, it's nothing to do with performance of their wheels at different pressures, but safety of the rider if they blew the sidewall out with some of the crazy tire pressure limits riders like to follow (who needs 170psi in road clincher tire?) causing rim failure.

I think the new CR-350 rim is probably as stiff as a Ksyrium as it has basically the same section, especially with the greater number of spokes in the wheels (24 front, 28 rear minimums), it'd potentially be a stiffer wheel.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:I think the new CR-350 rim is probably as stiff as a Ksyrium as it has basically the same section, especially with the greater number of spokes in the wheels (24 front, 28 rear minimums), it'd potentially be a stiffer wheel.

even with the thin walls that the CR350 have? i am more intrested in the spadas with AC CR420 if that can be had from spada itself.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:
Ye Olde Balde One wrote:I think the new CR-350 rim is probably as stiff as a Ksyrium as it has basically the same section, especially with the greater number of spokes in the wheels (24 front, 28 rear minimums), it'd potentially be a stiffer wheel.

even with the thin walls that the CR350 have? i am more intrested in the spadas with AC CR420 if that can be had from spada itself.

It's not the wall thickness, it's the section (think of a larger downtube, it's larger section, not thicker walls). In any case, how thick is that machined section in a Ksyrium?
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

I seriously doubt the CR350 is as stiff as the ksyriums. The rim is much lighter and has a weight limit on it. If it was so stiff then why so many spokes? The stiffer the rim, the fewer spokes need to support it. The CR350 might be stiffer laterally due to high spoke count, but vertically? Not to sure about that. But I've never ridden them so I might be completly wrong. Anyone own these care to comment?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One, i have a question. At your LBS can you get spadas with AC CR420 rims and sapim cx-ray spokes?