KCNC C7 or SRAM Red brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mjduct

by mjduct

KCNC's come with both cork pads and GHP2's

I love mine!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milkbaby

by milkbaby

To me the KCNC C7 feel flexy and not quite the same power as say a Shimano caliper. They are ugly too. Very good price to weight ratio tho!

sent by tapatalk because my computer is a paperweight

micky

by micky

Brakes like KCNC C7 are not meant to be same power as Shimano's, but to give you the best breaking power at a very light weight; comparing the 2 is like talking of spaghetti and tortellini.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

One more +1 on what's been said about C7. They are fine for general riding, but have little error margin on steep descents. At least for my 77kg "frame".

leosantos

by leosantos

tks, last posts kind of settle the issue (C7 or red - new 2012) for me

Imaking20

by Imaking20

micky wrote:Brakes like KCNC C7 are not meant to be same power as Shimano's, but to give you the best breaking power at a very light weight; comparing the 2 is like talking of spaghetti and tortellini.

Which wouldn't be quite the travesty if you were in the US.

Looking at your location and reading this made me chuckle.

blantonator

by blantonator

how often do the Planet-X calipers need to re-centered? I have the C7's and find them a little flexy and I only weigh 130 lbs.

wetpaint

by wetpaint

leosantos wrote:tks, last posts kind of settle the issue (C7 or red - new 2012) for me

I have C7s, 7800, red calipers. The C7s stopping power is slightly below Sram calipers, but barely noticable. The Dura Ace brakes has alot more hard bite to them and don't modulate as good as the red or C7 brakes. For carbon wheels with SS yellows, the 7800 brakes have too much grab to them.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

blantonator wrote:how often do the Planet-X calipers need to re-centered?

Never if you use the supplied washers and install the caliper correctly.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

micky

by micky

Imaking20 wrote:Which wouldn't be quite the travesty if you were in the US.

If we talk to the random cyclist and we show a pair of KCNC and a pair of Shimano brakes they wont know the difference by thinking both are brakes.
As we're in WW I expect that we do know the difference both in weight and breaking power (if we were in a Pasta forum Id expect you to know the difference between spaghetti and tortellini).
But glad I made someone chuckle today. :wink:

1415chris

by 1415chris

I didn't want to start a similar thread, so let me hijack this one a bit.

Similar cos c7 are on my bike for the last year, but after recent accident in which I completely smashed my 1 month old Aeon :cry: , fractured collarbone and being out off the saddle for 3 weeks with the perspective of another 3-4, I started considering a stronger brakes.
Strange thing is that I still think that c7 are very good brakes in the weight/price department. And they did a good job in my local Surrey Hills in UK, few trips to Canary Islands, the lower ones :)
All the roads I was riding were, lets say predictable. You could almost see what was behind the next turn. So there was enough time to react.

The last trip to Schwarzwald in Germany (oh my god what the roads the got there :shock: amazing), on the quite quick descent I was doing just above 40mph, after smooth turn there was a very short straight behind which 180° turn. After hitting the brakes I knew I wasn't going to make it. The rest you already know.

My favourites are EE, my question is what I can expect from them? The only brakes I can compare to c7 are ultergras, which are much stronger than kcnc. Would that be a good choice?
Would like to have more power, on the other hand, I don't want adding unnecessary weight to my rig.
I'm chunky 200lbs biker.

Sorry for the long story :wink:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You need disc brakes, Chris.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

lechat

by lechat

DSCF4096.jpg
milkbaby wrote:To me the KCNC C7 feel flexy and not quite the same power as say a Shimano caliper. They are ugly too. Very good price to weight ratio tho!

sent by tapatalk because my computer is a paperweight

I didn't like their looks either. Mainly the outsized silver QR. So after getting these on Ebay I Beautified them a bit. At least the graphics aren't too garish. One yr.s model they looked like the font came from a pack of Black Cat fire crackers.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

micky wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:Which wouldn't be quite the travesty if you were in the US.

If we talk to the random cyclist and we show a pair of KCNC and a pair of Shimano brakes they wont know the difference by thinking both are brakes.
As we're in WW I expect that we do know the difference both in weight and breaking power (if we were in a Pasta forum Id expect you to know the difference between spaghetti and tortellini).
But glad I made someone chuckle today. :wink:

I don't disagree with the point you're making at all - the humor was light-hearted simply at your chosen analogy. I've had the great pleasure of experiencing proper tortellini from Verona to Treviso... I have never been one to think a simple pasta on it's own could be a main dish - I was very happily proven wrong.

Wow, now that's a thread highjack!

micky

by micky

I thought I didnt explain well enough due to my bad grammar.
As for the analogy choice, I guess I made it due to some appetite. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com