Hamilton's Parlee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weiwentg

by weiwentg

ultimobici wrote:How is he able to race at all? He's banned, surely the organiser should say "You may ride, but you won't be eligible for placings or prizes"?
I feel sorry for the non-banned riders who morally should have won and not placed second to a man who has yet to be cleared of cheating.
If you are a banned/suspended licence holder you are barred from competition in most areas. To turn up at a high profile race like this when you are yet to succeed in overturning a ban is plain rude.
Anyway apologies for the rant, just needed to vent my spleen on the subject.
PS Nice bike!

your signature contains a quote from Fausto Coppi, il campionissimo. I feel compelled to point out an interview in the 50s when Coppi, asked if he used amphetamines (the drug of choice at the time), said, "only when necessary." asked how often it was necessary, he admitted, "practically all the time."

I'm not sure what the point of that was, since I've taken down my Tyler Hamilton poster, the one where he was en route to a spectacular solo victory in Bayonne in the 2003 TDF. in fact, I've taken all my posters down save for a small autographed photo of Laurent Jalabert I got on ebay. the doping scandals certainly sicken me. however, if TH is doping, then surely a lot more people are, perhaps even most of the peloton. and, even if TH was doping, the methods used to prove his guilt are, in my opinion, destroyed by methodological inaccuracies (the testers who finally declared him guilty knew that it was his sample, and they were the creators of the test). acceptable at the Salem witch trials, but not in a modern democracy.

in the end, I'm not prepared to be so judgmental about our friend the chimera participating in a cycling event.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rogier

by rogier

Calling the UCI a modern democracy is stretching the definition almost to snapping point, but on the whole I agree..

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

so anyway, back to bikes...

bobalou

by bobalou

To get slightly back OT.. those look like 202's. :) Sometimes the flexy 202's are great and I'd say a climbing event like that are perfect for them.

skid

by skid

I'm curious. How does blood doping work? Don't you need the blood of somebody fitter than you in order for blood doping to improve your own performance? So whose blood did tyler get? Lance Armstrong?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

skid wrote:I'm curious. How does blood doping work? Don't you need the blood of somebody fitter than you in order for blood doping to improve your own performance? So whose blood did tyler get? Lance Armstrong?
LMFAO!!!!!!!
But if LA was to want to do the same who's does he use? GOD?

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

skid wrote:I'm curious. How does blood doping work? Don't you need the blood of somebody fitter than you in order for blood doping to improve your own performance? So whose blood did tyler get? Lance Armstrong?

You extract your own blood when the hematocrite is 49.9% and you have been resting for a week (during training or winter period).
Then during the race you make a transfusion of you own blood.

drjones96

by drjones96

I don't think the blood has to come from someone fitter. Any additional red blood cells can increase the oxygen carrying capability right?

(I'm not a physician so please feel free to strike me down with a snide reply)

bobalou

by bobalou

drjones96 wrote:I don't think the blood has to come from someone fitter. Any additional red blood cells can increase the oxygen carrying capability right?

(I'm not a physician so please feel free to strike me down with a snide reply)

That's right, any red blood cells. But the point of using the blood doping technique is to avoid detection.

pinky

by pinky

From what I remember, it was a Dura Ace setup with M2 racer headset and seatpost, a full carbon seat (looked like an SLR in shape), Zipp cranks and bars (I think), Speedplays and 202s. Bike looks like it would've fit me so figure 54cm frame. Cool sidenote, Tyler lent the bike to a friend for the next days century-only took the 202s and seat/seat post.

p.toth

by p.toth

I don't think the blood has to come from someone fitter

sorry for the OT-posting, but read this:
http://www.aegis.com/news/upi/2001/UP010422.html

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

I tried to find some pics on the internet, but I didn't...

However, some picture of Hamiltons Mt Washington climb in 1999:

No bottle cage. :D

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

No cage and lightweight wheels :D
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Dennis

by Dennis

Didn't he used ADA's in the past?

chip42

by chip42

Jonathan at Parlee let me know the spec ,it's a prototype z3c sl with the following:-
Schmolke handle bar- Out of Germany, very light 160 grams +/-, what was most impressive was how stiff they were for an extremely lightweight carbon bar.

Syntace F99 stem- 97 grams, machined AL stem. Also stiff.

M2 Racer headset- 37 grams (vs. Chris King 120+ grams)

M2 Racer Seat and seat post- the carbon saddle I didn’t like (Tyler rode it and he didn’t mind it) but the post was very light even at 350 mm length and 31.6 diameter.

Zipp 202 wheels- 1000+ grams, a nice tubular carbon wheel

Zipp crank with American classic BB- about 170 grams lighter than the Dura Ace ten speed set up.

Easton SLX 43 rake fork- I think the THM fork out of Germany is lighter and stiffer, we can’t get them here in the states yet.

Wipperman Hollow pin chain- 40 grams lighter than shimano’s

The rest of the parts are all Dura Ace. 11.4 lbs with bottle cage and tubulars on the bike. We weighed everything before we installed it on the bike, one to check the companies listed weights and we are bike geeks so we couldn’t not do it.
Maybe I should be lighter myself !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com