anyone using bikehubstore.com ultralight road hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Liggero

by Liggero

i built a wheelset with these hubs. they work pretty well, but the rear one i would go for the rotaz, wings are much better, larger and symetric. they also offer a better front hub, a few grams heavier, but with more separated wings, really nice. for the rest, yes they are veeery loud and they come with great bearings, specially the front one, with four bearings instead of just two, like older american classic micro hub.
Happy Trails !!!

pushstart

by pushstart

I have built up a couple of BHS+Kinlin wheelsets now. The hubs are inexpensive, light, loudish (but not embarrassing like my Hope Pro II SS hubs), and have great engagement. I love that they have Enduro bearings too. I too, though, have noticed play in the rear hub in one of the wheelsets; this wheelset has around 1500 miles on it. I can see the freehub body moving a bit relative to rest of hub -- maybe just 1mm or so. End caps seemed tight, but I'm gonna try w/ the 5mm hex tomorrow to make sure that's not an issue. I wouldn't care about minimal play except that was enough to start causing brake rub in out-of-saddle/high-torque load. Obviously there are other factors there like brake alignment, frame flexing, etc. but this just started happening recently, so I'm thinking this play is a new development. My other BHS-hub wheelset has around 1300 miles on it but does not seem to have the same issue.

Anyway, any insights from the community appreciated. I'll investigate further before asserting that it's a flaw and not just an adjustment issue. And ultimately if this isn't going to cause other failures, I'm fine living with it (I readjusted brakes and brake-rub symptoms seem fixed) as I am not eager to rebuild the wheel :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

pushstart wrote:Anyway, any insights from the community appreciated. I'll investigate further before asserting that it's a flaw and not just an adjustment issue. And ultimately if this isn't going to cause other failures, I'm fine living with it (I readjusted brakes and brake-rub symptoms seem fixed) as I am not eager to rebuild the wheel :)

I took my wheel off & skewer out and tightened it down using two 5mm hex wrenches. (Maybe to ~3-4Nm -- hope that's not too tight). It indeed was loose. After re-installing the wheel the play issue appears to be fixed (back to the normal minimal play I would expect when grabbing the rim and pulling side-to-side). I'll report back, but at this stage it seems to be a non-issue. I'm hopeful that is indeed the case, as I have had a really great experience buying from Brandon -- and plan to continue to use BHS for hubs & rims for my future wheelsets.

steel515

by steel515

Does anyone know axle thickness and material- steel or aluminum?

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, just couldn't find any other thread talking about this topic and I thought it's just redundant to create a whole new thread for what I will be asking.

Anyway, I'm eyeing the following hubs for my wheelbuild and was wondering if I may get some feedbacks for them:
UL66 Front Hub
http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/ulf66.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SLF71W: SuperLight Wide Front Hub
http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL71W-p/slf71w.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UL190 UltraLight Rear Hub
http://www.bikehubstore.com/UL190-p/ul190.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How do they compare to the Dati hubs?

pushstart

by pushstart

I have not used the Dati hubs.

I have a set of Farsports wheels built on the Bitex (ED) 190g hub (which appears to be identical to the UL190) and the ED 66g hub (which I believe is also the same as the UL66?). I weigh 175lbs and these are driving 50mm carbon rims laced 20h radial front and 24h 2x/2x rear -- CX-ray spokes. I don't notice any flex in the front, so I have no regrets not having opted for a wider front hub. Additionally I have been very happy with numerous wheels built on BHS hubs (SL78/SL211, F120/SL211, and two MTB162/MTB252 wheelsets that I use on my cx commuter). I did notice front wheel flexing when sprinting or powering uphill with my Kinlin XR300 laced radially (CX ray) to the SL78, so on a shallower rim you might want to go with the wider hub.

I have used the Farsports wheels for somewhere around 1200 miles now without any drama. Thousands of miles on other BHS hubs. I expect they will be just fine.

zed

by zed

BHS hubs are not identical to the Bitex, the shell is subtly different. Non drive flange is larger on the Bitex.

The SL218 is the hub of choice for me for budget builds.

It's weakness is that the weather seals aren't great, so for hard-man riding I recommend owners to pay attention or risk shortening the life. The Abec bearings are good, and I've upgraded to Phil Wood bearings and so far the owner is at twice the mileage he got out of the stock bearings. Most customers understand this hubset is value based... They are not high end as the price would suggest. But I have many more than pleased customers riding wheels built. With Brandon's hubs.
http://www.zedwheels.com - wheels made just for you