anyone using bikehubstore.com ultralight road hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of using a set of these hubs on my new build, but can't find any feedback. The weight is fairly light at 277g for the set and at $110 the price is right.

Any experience with these or thoughts?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

preludervtec

by preludervtec

I just received my set in the mail today. Hope to have my wheels built up by next weekend, so i'll check back in on my thoughts. The weights came in exactly at 277g as advertised. I also picked up their lightweight Ti quick releases. The quick releases also came in as advertised at 43g. They look great and feel solid, but wont know how great they are til I get some road time on them.

martyh

by martyh

Yep.
I got a set of the dati ones in campag fitting.
They have been solid so far, no problems at all and came in around 269 grams. Final wheel build was 1033 with some planet-x carbon 20mm tubs.
I will be buying some more.

Marty

Guy

by Guy

martyh wrote:Yep.
I got a set of the dati ones in campag fitting.
They have been solid so far, no problems at all and came in around 269 grams. Final wheel build was 1033 with some planet-x carbon 20mm tubs.
I will be buying some more.

Marty

How much was shipping to Belfast? (I presume that's Belfast, N.Ireland and not some town in America?!) Thanks.

khaostik

by khaostik

I am!
I've bought a 16:8 hub and I've built a rear wheelset with the rim notube alpha340, cn spokes in DS and dt swiss competition on NDS. It came @ 720 gr.

Best regards,

Filipe Dias

showdown

by showdown

I bought 11 sets to use with Chinese carbon rims for my team. To date we've all been very happy with the hubs.

martyh

by martyh

yeah Belfast NI.
Shipping was $20 for three sets of hubs. Pretty reasonable I thought!

PBrooks

by PBrooks

I purchased some of the 277g hubs and they have been really good. My wheel builder was surprised to see endura bearings when he opened them up. He said they came from Taiwan, maybe Bitex but I can't put my finger on who does them. I live in Taichung, and if its bike related and made in Taiwan it's made in Taichung county, maybe not sold here, but that's the case with a lot of things. They sure are loud though, getting used to that

guadzilla

by guadzilla

How loud are these hubs, anyone know? I recall reading somewhere that they are quite loud (almost CK loud) - is that right or am I mistaken?

TIA,
V.

t0ph0id

by t0ph0id

guadzilla wrote:How loud are these hubs, anyone know? I recall reading somewhere that they are quite loud (almost CK loud) - is that right or am I mistaken?

TIA,
V.

Search 'Showdown' 's posts for his review, it was him that described them as CK loud.

showdown

by showdown

When I wrote that these hubs were loud I wasn't kidding.

FWIW, my wheels were laced 2x with DT Aerolite spokes and alloy nipples to a set of 50mm tubular rims. I also have a set laced with CX-Rays to 88mm tubulars and holy cow talk about loud!

The hubs have 6 pawls and a billion teeth so the sound they make is less like a "tick-tick-tick" and more of a high pitched "bzzzzzzz" even when rolling slowly as the 6 pawls run over many more teeth. Some say that having more pawls and more teeth makes for quicker and more even engagement... I dunno, sounds good to me.

I've had tons of wheels; Mavic, Shimano, Zipp, American Classic, Spinergy, Rolf, Easton, PowerTap, and more and none had hubs as loud as these save for maybe a Chris King hub.

I LOVE the loud sound but if it's too loud for one's liking (racing stealth perhaps) one can always put a dab of grease in the freehub and the noise will be drastically reduced with no effect on the performance of the hub- one of my teammates did this to his as he prefers silent wheels.

Guy

by Guy

Off to order a set of these. I love loud hubs so that is a plus in my book.

buttrumpus

by buttrumpus

for users of these hubs, what are ya'll weighing in at?
I'm thinking of building a light wheel set for everyday use. Probably with Stan's Alpha 340's, maybe 20-24 hole. I'm weighing in at 175lbs/79kgs, but that should drop soon. These hubs sound enticing....

guadzilla

by guadzilla

showdown wrote:When I wrote that these hubs were loud I wasn't kidding.

FWIW, my wheels were laced 2x with DT Aerolite spokes and alloy nipples to a set of 50mm tubular rims. I also have a set laced with CX-Rays to 88mm tubulars and holy cow talk about loud!

The hubs have 6 pawls and a billion teeth so the sound they make is less like a "tick-tick-tick" and more of a high pitched "bzzzzzzz" even when rolling slowly as the 6 pawls run over many more teeth. Some say that having more pawls and more teeth makes for quicker and more even engagement... I dunno, sounds good to me.

I want loud hubs as well, so that's good to know.

Btw, which particular hubs did you get? The Superlights @ $100 a pair, I assume?

V.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Want loud hubs? Time to go Campagnolo. :mrgreen: (Loud hubs Italian style)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com