HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: C-4 Hub Flex
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 pm 

Has anyone here with C-4 wheels had any issues with hub flex?

I have the C-4 2.4OSL wheelset.

Because of their tool free servicing, there is noticeable flex where the cassette freehub body connects to the main hub body.

There are actually marks on the freehub where it has flexed enough to come into contact with the teeth that the pawls engage into.

Unless I am doing something wrong i think i will get some new wheels.

This is what I mean by tool free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBVaaFaXkU

Sorry if my terminology is a little bit average.

Post subject: C-4 Hub Flex
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 pm 

Post subject: Re: C-4 Hub Flex
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:20 pm 

Get in touch with C-4. They are pretty good with adressing any kind of issues with their products. I know they worked on different axles models on their newer hubs, and they come with tiny spacers, and bearing preload adjusment, so maybe that would take care of the "slack" coming from your FH.

Louis :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:43 pm 

They never replied to my enquiry about spoke tension so I didn't bother

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:51 pm 

Did you try C-4 directly, or the AUS distributor ?

Maybe try this:

info@c-4bicyclecomponents.com

Brandy should respond to your message, or transfer you to the right person.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:03 pm 

I had some issues with pre-release C-4 hubs, which isn't terribly surprising. The company instantly responded to my e-mail and immediately addressed the problem(s) even to the extent of building me a new (hybrid) front hub, all at zero cost to me. I know they are busy with new product development (and recently transferred all their manufacturing operations to lovely Irvine, California) so perhaps that accounts for the tardy response to your note. Try again! I'm sure they will respond! In my estimation (cynical though I am), they are really a first rate company with superior customer service.

KAC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm 

LouisN wrote:
Did you try C-4 directly, or the AUS distributor ?

Maybe try this:

info@c-4bicyclecomponents.com

Brandy should respond to your message, or transfer you to the right person.

I'd second contacting them at that address- I sent an email 2 nights ago and got a response in (literally) 2 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:36 am 

kac wrote:
I had some issues with pre-release C-4 hubs, which isn't terribly surprising. The company instantly responded to my e-mail and immediately addressed the problem(s) even to the extent of building me a new (hybrid) front hub, all at zero cost to me. I know they are busy with new product development (and recently transferred all their manufacturing operations to lovely Irvine, California) so perhaps that accounts for the tardy response to your note. Try again! I'm sure they will respond! In my estimation (cynical though I am), they are really a first rate company with superior customer service.

KAC

That facility in Irvine is no longer making their hubs or supplying their bearings. Also C-4 is owned my Mark Hoskin, Eric Prima or Mark Hodges.
Mark is again having issues paying vendors and getting product. What's new :roll: .

We ALL know his story.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:39 am 

I had the same issue. They sent new bearings, which were part of another problem, but it still didn't fix it. I sent the wheel in and the hub body was replaced along with a few other parts. I emailed the basic service email address and spoke to Mark. Before the fix I could move the wheel laterally at least 1/4 inch with little pressure from 1 finger.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:08 pm 

KWalker wrote:
I had the same issue. They sent new bearings, which were part of another problem, but it still didn't fix it. I sent the wheel in and the hub body was replaced along with a few other parts. I emailed the basic service email address and spoke to Mark. Before the fix I could move the wheel laterally at least 1/4 inch with little pressure from 1 finger.

same exact problem here, I have a c-4 R-205 rear hub that spins beautifully, but it has at least a 1/4" or more of lateral flex by just pressing with one finger. I emailed them last week they responded the same day and offered to send me bearings at no cost or I could ship them the wheel and they would fix it for me. I am just having them send me the bearings but after reading your post I am afraid the bearings alone wont be a fix. have not had any problems from my f-76 front hub though.

-caseycycling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:18 pm 

Quote:
That facility in Irvine is no longer making their hubs or supplying their bearings. Also C-4 is owned my Mark Hoskin, Eric Prima or Mark Hodges.
Mark is again having issues paying vendors and getting product. What's new :roll: .

We ALL know his story.

Evidently, I am not in the "ALL" category. What "is" his story (from your perspective) and what is your source for the information on the payment and product statement you made? I'm curious because, as far as I know, C-4 is a well-regarded manufacturer but you imply that you have information to the contrary. If so, write it down and save future purchasers some problems.

KAC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 pm 

kac wrote:
Quote:

We ALL know his story.

Evidently, I am not in the "ALL" category. What "is" his story (from your perspective) and what is your source for the information on the payment and product statement you made? I'm curious because, as far as I know, C-4 is a well-regarded manufacturer but you imply that you have information to the contrary. If so, write it down and save future purchasers some problems.

KAC

Do some research here and on Google. C-4 makes nothing and their bearing supplier and designer/manufacture are no longer working with him.

Things went well with c-4 for a while, but things are getting shaky. Just a FYI

yes, I am one of many people who were ripped off by Mark Hoskin. Just look up his name at the Riverside County criminal reports

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 am 

Shakey? Whats the back ground story?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 am 

The bearing problem on my hub was unrelated. The NDS bearing basically seized up after 2 weeks of use. They sent the new bearings, which took a really long time, but the flex never went away. The wheel is at C-4 being repaired right so hopefully it comes back in good shape. I haven't had any problems with them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am 

They are sending me new bearings and a new cassette body. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:48 am 

I'm looking for his name, but can't find anything. Do you have a link to give grounds to these claims? I have dealt with him lately and though things took a little longer than talked about, he came trough on every level.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next