HED C2 VS Velocity A23 rims - any views

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

Bought a piar of 32h a23 today to build as work/touring wheels.

Both rims came in bang on 445g FWIW. 5% over.

Would like to build up a lighter set of Heds/cx rays/7900, have the hubs ready but cant get a 28h rim ATM.

Anyway, looking forward to the fat rims, got a new pair of Paves to stick on them. Should be nice and smooth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

droptop

by droptop

looking to build up a set of these- going to go 32f/32r, 3x. Not really worried about weight, and I like the look of a classic wheel. Im not quite a clyde, but not that far from one either. I weigh 190 now, normally between 175 and 195. When I start racing and need a lighter wheel set, I will build up something more generic and lighter than i can trash and not feel that bad about.

im not sure about spokes- I have ridden sapim race spokes on my 29er (3x) with great success. wondering if i can get away with sapim lasers, maybe with sapim race on the rear drive side, or if i should stick with the sapim races all around.

LVGH

by LVGH

H Plus Son has a new wide rim, the Archetype AT-25, that is directly aimed at the C2 & A23:

Claimed 450g, 25mm high, 23mm wide. Looks promising.

jooo

by jooo

The HPlusSon stuff looks good and if their recent efforts are anything to go by, the Archetype should be nicely finished and build into a durable wheel. Their Tb-14 is also a great option for those wanting a 'classic' build with a wider profile:

Another option: http://www.bikehubstore.com/C472w-p/c472w.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have no experiences with it and haven't seen any reviews (it's brand new and all) but if it's another KinLin it should be a good rim.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Oh thanks for pointing out the Archetype. Only why oh why didn't they go for a sharp inside instead of a rounded one.

headwind816

by headwind816

The Archetype looks to have a sharper middle ... right :noidea:

http://shop.hplusson.com/product/archetype" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, does Kinlin rims still suffer from brake shudder issues?

spytech

by spytech

Looks like the Archetype is a good replacement for the no longer sold HED C2 to wheelbuilders. plus it comes in hard ano, which is cool.

headwind816

by headwind816

Is the Archetype available for purchase anywhere in the U.S.?

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

ergott wrote:
musket wrote:I'd love to hear some built system weights on these... anyone have them to hand?

Hed C2
Alchemy hubs
CX-Rays (Wheelsmith DB14 for right rear)
alloy nipples
24 radial front
28 2X/3X rear
-Eric

Hi Eric,
How would that build sound for a 175 lb rider? Every day "training" wheels going over hills and road good and bad.
Would the DB14 on right rear be overkill?
-Max

Rush

by Rush

Just an update re: recent weights for the HED C2 clincher. I got a pair from Bikeman in the USA.

The 28 hole rim was 448grams, the 32 was 455g.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I cannot vouch for the Hed C2 because I have not worked with them. I have had really good response to the Velocity A23 which is very comparable to the Hed. The A23 is not quite as deep which translates to a slightly lighter rim, same width, and the ability to run tubeless. The alchemy hubs are money, light, easy to work on, and thanks to the wider flange very durable. Spoke count and lasing sounds good. I do think that the DB 14 is a little overkill; you should be just fine with the CX Ray.
-Zane-

bluesea

by bluesea

^ That might work for my next build, although I need something a little stronger than my Neutrons. Weight estimate for A23 / 24/28 CX Ray / Alchemy?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Final weight would be around 1380g.
-Zane-