Cosmic Carbones?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Are these wheels any good? I live in a pretty flat area with only the occasional short sharp climb, lots of long flat routes.

Would these wheels be a good investment?

Have currently got a 5200 with Ksyriums, would Carbones be a noticable upgrade?

zefrenchcarotte

by zefrenchcarotte

Hi,

Well, if you just want to save weight, forget Cosmic Carbon. They are much heavier than the ksyrium SL, at least 250g or something like that.

But as you said you were living in a flat area, Cosmic Carbon are definitely the ultimate weapon to go fast on flat road. Very good aeordynamic preformances, high rigidity, plus a terrible smooth noice when you ride.

Make your choice : weight or just high performance and nice looking :wink:
Ironman finisher in few months...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Well, given the flatness of the area and the lack of hills, I doubt weight would make much difference!

doozer

by doozer

I'd go for HED wheels.. All models are lighter than the carbones so they will accelerate better. Plus HED do pretty comprehensive aerodynamic testing a the texas A&M wind tunnel so they're likely to be as aero as you can get. Depends upon you budget. The alps are a good buy although HED are re-introducing the Stinger range for 2004.

The bontrager carbons are also top banana.. the British WCPP riders have 'em as you know.. light and pretty tough to boot. Rode the tour of northumberland this year and some guy had zipps but they were making wierd noises!!

Doozer
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Well, I wanna upgrade my bike. Am considering new wheels or new Dura Ace to upgrade from my Ultegra set up.

Any ideas what to do?

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Oh and any wheels have to be as bombproof as my Ksyriums and gotta be clincher!

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Hiya!

I would suggest the corima aero. Almost same price and much better product overall. Check their side...www.corima.com...dunno if they ship to USA...:))....anymore :oops:

:-)

by :-)

incomplete pete is in sunny norfolk engerland ;-)

corima suggest 110 psi for clinchers & hardly bomb proof ?

Joel

by Joel

Don't buy full carbon clinchers. Stay with your ksyriums and buy a new DA or better new Record/Chorus

Superlite

by Superlite

Not entirely true. With the reynolds Stratus clinchers comming out they are the only all carbon worth buying. Can take up to 160+ PSI due to the multidirectional carbon fiber. It the only wheels made with it, that and other reynolds wheels of course, plus you get the confidence behind reynolds for not producing junk. 45mm deep, 18/24 spokes and 1450g. Not bad for deep dish clinchers eh?

Petacchi

by Petacchi

ok really didnt know where to post this one so here goes.
Instead of going for a whole weight savings idea on a wheelset I am saying screw it and I am right now considering a pair or Spinergy Rev. X's. I just wanted to know if they were more aero then my Kscyriums. I know they are much heavier and this is fine by me. Another thing i am trying to find which i cant seem to come across is the weight for the tubular versions they made. All i can find is the weight for the 700c Clinchers. So if anyone has any idea wha the tubulars are let me know. Plus they would most excellent debagged and on my all black cannondale.
Fighting Blue Hens

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

WOAH! STAY AWAY FROM THOSE!!! Very dangerous wheels. Numerous people have been seriously injured on them. I wouldn't ride them if paid. I can't find the link to the list of injuries that have occured on these wheels, does anyone know it? Heres a link of just one the the horror stories on them. http://www.triathletemag.com/story.cfm? ... ageID=1730

Theres plenty more where that came from. Just do a search on the web for the rev x's, you'll be surpprised at how many of them are about thier failure. Spinergy, not good, Rev X, BADD!!!!

Here's a link to MTB's review. http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Wheels ... 3705.shtml