Proper sanding steps?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Juggler

by Juggler

One down... and one to go.

I went with sanding, since I didn't find it realistic to get into all the corners with a blade.

Grade 180 -> grade 600 -> grade 1000 (wet) -> grade 1200 (wet)

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the carbon isn't always as nice below the clear coat. This also goes for these. But still fits much better to my bike. I am probably just gonna keep them as they are - even though I have been considering a thin layer of matte clear coat.

To top it all up, I just shaved 4 grams of my setup... and another 4 gram to come, when I finish the other one :)

2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

jostanderhub

by jostanderhub

NiFTY wrote:I am razoring and sanding an evo frame currently. Frame 75% done. Fork complete - razor then 1200 grit works perfectly. Also done my red RD and shifters. Ritchey seatpost and stem next, and tops of 3T ergonova LTD bars. Will post completed pics.

I have a SuSi frame sitting here. Liqui-colors but kind of boring. Playing with the idea of either sanding or professional re-paint (matte black) or swapping for a CAAD10 (anodized)
A pic of the nude EVO would be great and helpful for decision making.
Thx !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Just finished sanding today.
Used razorblade, and 1200 grit sandpaper wet sand. + Satin clearcoat in a rattle can.
Very happy with result .

Weights 733g bare in size 54.

Sorry for poor photos.
Attachments
20120923_223535.jpg
20120923_223605.jpg
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BmanX

by BmanX

The Cannondale looks amazing.

Has anyone stripped down their carbon bits and sprayed them matte black? I am in the process of getting a 29er and want to get my bars, cranks and a few other carbon parts to match the matte black paint job.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

artray

by artray

No need to spray matte black. Just use aero 303 and leave nude . I have done this to cranks ,seatpost, seat, frame. It looks awesome and no scratch worries.

BmanX

by BmanX

The frame is matte black so I want everything to match exactly.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

boombaux

by boombaux

I'm planning to repaint my FM029 frame. It came as UD gloss but I can see the seams in the UD where they wrapped it...
I have read the thread but could someone give me a complete step by step process including grit density for the frame? I'd like to repaint my sram rival cranks, carbon seatpost, and FSA carbon wrapped stem, too

Roeboe

by Roeboe

boombaux wrote:I'm planning to repaint my FM029 frame. It came as UD gloss but I can see the seams in the UD where they wrapped it...
I have read the thread but could someone give me a complete step by step process including grit density for the frame? I'd like to repaint my sram rival cranks, carbon seatpost, and FSA carbon wrapped stem, too

+1

boombaux

by boombaux

^ i sanded down the seatpost with 400grit and just spray painted it with automobile "sandable primer" i did buy an airbrush today but i need an adaptor to work with the compressor i have.

made a little error on the top. got too close and made a pool of paint so i wiped it a little. should sand right out

should i wet sand with 600 grit tomorrow or go straight to 1000?

onto the fork

sanded
unsanded
big difference!