Choosing a new carbon wheelset up to 1500€

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Hi there, looking to upgrade my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels that came stock on my bike, and I personally dislike, to a full carbon wheelset!
I'm a 82kg WW and weight is a concern, my BH Ultralight with those wheels is at 6,5kg, but durability is a concern also!

Right now I'm considering going up to 1500€ for a tubular set which is meant to be my everyday wheels, and keeping the Mavics just in case.

The wheels on the table are:
- Vision Metron 40 (should be able to get them for less then 1000€ on my LBS and have been getting rather nice reviews);
- FFWD F4R with DT240s hubs (around 1100€ and great crash replacement policy);
- Corima Aero+ (around 1300€ but feedback is rare and assistance is questionable/ slow or so I've heard);
- Fulcrum Racing Speed / Campy Bora (was looking to buy in the next month or so, but 2015 aren't available yet, and buying the "old" versions seems pretty dumb).

Could also consider selling the Mavic and putting and extra effort to go with some decent carbon clinchers like the zipp 303 which aesteticly I adore.

What's your opinion and help?

Many thanks!!!!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Have you considered light-bicycle or wheelsfar? With that budget you could get some tune, ck or dt hubs laced in any configuration on any depth you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

To be honest, I wasn't really looking those shop, as I don't find the rims to be very reliable (although I might be wrong).
When choosing some carbon wheels I'm considering some established brands with some more feedback...

But thanks, it is an idea to consider!

Slagter

by Slagter

Why do you want tubular for everyday wheels?

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I'm considering going tubular because:
1. I'm a bit of a weight weenie :-)
2. Don't really like the look of alu/carbon wheels
3. FCClinchers still feel like a bit unreliable, and those brands with good ones, such as Zipp or Enve tend to go above my budget...

Thus choosing tubular wheels....

Slagter

by Slagter

1: Fair enough. Thats up to you if you find the hazzle with tubular worth the saved weight.

2: you don´t need to go carbon rim with alu braketrack, theres no problem going carbon all the way.

3: Carbon clinchers are not unreliable at all. They are very reliable. Most bigger name brands are very good. I have friends who have been riding farsports carbon clinchers for more than 10.000 km including racing on them. The only problem one of them had was a broken spoke, which he got fixed in LBS.

I´ve ridden 1.700+ km on my farsports full carbon clincher rims in both good and bad weather. No problem there...

In my opinion tubular is for racing (and for riding the track) not for road training.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Get a good deal on Shimano C50 or Hed Stinger 5, it will be in that price range easily

Bombproof for every day ride

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

The Hed does sound like an interesting option, altough I don't really like the silver hubs and spokes.
(I'm one of thoes black mate bike guys...)

The Shimano DA 9000 C50 TU don't seem to fit my budget unfortunately...

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

You need 11-speed compatible?

If not, I'd have a look at 7900 C50 TU, can be found around 900€ in 5 stars condition

Bargain time just for that silly incompatibility to 11 speed

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Ops, forgot to mention that, i do need the 11 speed hub...

Geoff

by Geoff

The Hed Stingers are quite nice, but the hubs, not so much...

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Geoff wrote:The Hed Stingers are quite nice, but the hubs, not so much...

My feelings exactly Geoff!

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

any other ideas/ reviews?

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I have a set of Williams System 58 Tubulars that I have been really happy with. They are not the lightest(around 1470g I think), but are stiff, handle well and William's customer service has been fantastic. They have just brought out an updated version with a wider/more aero rim as well. Also well under your budget at $1100.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

You might consider having a custom set built for you. For your budget (~$1900), Enve 3.4s w/ excellent hubs could be affordable. If the wheels are for daily/regular use, get the best you can afford (ie stretch the budget as far as possible to do so) as the money will be well spent.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com