Lowest headset-top cap available?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

snorre

by snorre

Hi!
I was wondering, what is the lowest headset-top cap that is avalable? It needs to fit my bike which currently has a top cap from FSA... I have seen a top cap made by Pinarello that basically close to flat on the headtube, will this one fit on my bike, or only on top of the headset on a Pinarello??
Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yetimatt

by yetimatt

What type of headset do you have I'm assuming by top cap you mean "top cover" for the integrated headset. I know FSA makes them in various heights.

As far as I know the Flybikes BMX top cover is the lowest available--it's made for Campy style headsets (45/45), it's available in several colors too.

I know I've seen on some pro bikes that they will just run the headset without the top cover

snorre

by snorre

Thanks! Yes, I ment 'top cap'.

The one in particular I was thinking about, was looking like tho one on the Team Sky Pinarello. Im thinking about getting one like this, and painting it black.
Attachments
sky_pinarello_dogma_top_cap_600.jpg

Simon BP

by Simon BP

EDIT: Picturelink broken. But Campagnolo Record makes a headset with a quite low top cap.
Last edited by Simon BP on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The style of top cap will vary between manufacturers and even between a campy style or IS style. One size does not fit all in this case like headset spacers.

Couldn't you use a 17 degree stem though?

redbeard

by redbeard

I dont run a top bearing cap at all (like the pic above) with a -17 stem. Works fine. I have a plastic washer from a bb30 crank that covers the bearing a bit.
I miss the Jerk because your stem is still too short.
Your saddle is probably too high as well.
Oh, and your cleats too far forward.

thebrit

by thebrit

The 2011 Specialized S-Works Epic comes with a carbon FSA one that risers about 5mm (from memory) and curls/tapers in quickly. I'm sure FSA must have them available off the shelf quite easily. In the photo below that's a 10mm carbon spacer above it so that you can see the relative height of the cover.

Seems like there would be a market for a fairly cheap solution either off the shelf or like Redbeard suggested using a crank cover etc. It could even be slightly aero in the front if it didn't add much weight :wink:

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

Cane creek integrated headsets come with a very low dust cap.
Some of them come with a removable rubber dust seal too.
You could run only that under the stem?
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

snorre wrote:Thanks! Yes, I ment 'top cap'.

The one in particular I was thinking about, was looking like tho one on the Team Sky Pinarello. Im thinking about getting one like this, and painting it black.

The one in the pic with the concave topcap is one of the most stupid designs I've ever seen.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

5shot

by 5shot

snorre wrote:Thanks! Yes, I ment 'top cap'.

snorre, the one on the Pinarello loods identical to the Soul-Kozak top cap sold here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/soulkozak-topcap-p-1500.html The top cap and bolt are one piece and the whole thing weighs 4 gm. The only downside I can see is that if you ride in the rain, it might fill up with water.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I found a Canecreek IS2 topcap is one of the lowest ~5mm.

I just got a TCR advanced SL and they give you one of those stupid 15mm cone top caps. Its a racing bike, I don't need a tall top cap, give me SLAMMED.

I did have to space it up a little since the top bearing is recessed in the frame.

Next shortest is an FSA Orbit topcap at around 8mm

Guy

by Guy

Campag Centaur plastic top cap - 5mm and cheap. Use it on my Canyon to minimise stack height.

t0ph0id

by t0ph0id

nitropowered wrote:I found a Canecreek IS2 topcap is one of the lowest ~5mm.

I took delivery of one of these just yseterday. Just what I was after.

Ottoturbo

by Ottoturbo

Where can I get a low top cap for IS 41 headset? I currently have a Cane creek headset with 9mm stack. http://store.canecreek.com/p/110-is41-s ... ?pp=8&pp=8

bicicleta

by bicicleta

No love for the slam that stem cap?

that's about as low as it can get, provided it fits the diameter of your headtube.

http://metallicpoutine.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com