Chinese electronic group sets in 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

I’ve heard some rumors throughout the inter webs. Hoping we can start a discussion about possibilities of any company releasing a much lower priced electronic group set in 2023. I’m looking to upgrade my own rim brake bike with electronic shifting soon but I don’t want to pay the $2000 US my lbs is asking for the upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

If you dont already have electronic shifting you may not be the target group for Red AXS which means you maybe are open for a cheaper alternative?

Rival AXS upgrade kits are around 900-1200 euro from R2bike, far from the $2000 you mention from your lbs.

matcav

by matcav

The WheelTop EDS OX is the only chinese-origin wireless derailleur I know:
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/wheeltop-eds-ox-series/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISsqEf3r7k

Never seen one in real life. Seems only MTB-oriented. Sold on Ali for ~570eur (mtb style + derailleur)

kroem

by kroem

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:29 am
If you dont already have electronic shifting you may not be the target group for Red AXS which means you maybe are open for a cheaper alternative?

Rival AXS upgrade kits are around 900-1200 euro from R2bike, far from the $2000 you mention from your lbs.
No rim brake option though ;)

But tbh, Force rim brake upgrade is almost cheaper.

I wouldn't opt for a Ali-option, not until they have some years into production.
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

robertbb

by robertbb

I can't find force AXS rim brake anywhere. like, anywhere!

bobones

by bobones

robertbb wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 pm
Wiggle have Red AXS 1x rim brake kit at a decent discount. Just add a Rival FD and you're sorted.

Incidentally, I bought 1x and 2x Force kits earlier in the year to stockpile for future use :D

schlafen

by schlafen

bobones wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Wiggle have Red AXS 1x rim brake kit at a decent discount. Just add a Rival FD and you're sorted.

Incidentally, I bought 1x and 2x Force kits earlier in the year to stockpile for future use :D
You only need the levers, everything else is compatible.

1 set in current use and I've stashed a spare set of Force AXS rim brake levers away as well Image.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

bobones wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:13 pm
robertbb wrote:

So you're the problem!

Wiggle's SRAM Red AXS seems sold out, and I still can't find Force kits anywhere.

Velojonathan

by Velojonathan

SRAM electronic components weight more than Shimano so there is no reason to run those components other than not feeling like running wires. People sugesting sram instead of ali express parts are trying to justfiy their lack of willingness to run wires

Maybe there will be a road bike group from China on ali express but as others have said it's just mtb for now.

Buy old DI2 off ebay. More than a few 9070 & 9150 groups on ebay sell for 1000, and weigh nearly half a pound less than sram. Trust shimano, because they make fishing rods and used to make swords vs sram being venture capital and people who don't like wires. No honor in wirless... honor comes from A) Saving a lot of money on aliexpress(Not possible with road electronic groups) B) Fishing C) wires

Choose wisely

bobones

by bobones

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:20 am
bobones wrote:
robertbb wrote:

So you're the problem!

Wiggle's SRAM Red AXS seems sold out, and I still can't find Force kits anywhere.
I foresaw the problem!

If you click on my link above you will see that the 1x Red AXS kit is in stock, and then you only need to add a (Rival) FD.

robertbb

by robertbb

bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:55 am
robertbb wrote:
bobones wrote:
robertbb wrote:

So you're the problem!

I foresaw the problem!

If you click on my link above you will see that the 1x Red AXS kit is in stock, and then you only need to add a (Rival) FD.
It's showing as not in stock for me. I suspect its because of the shipping embargoes

bobones

by bobones

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:36 pm
bobones wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:55 am
robertbb wrote:
bobones wrote:

So you're the problem!

I foresaw the problem!

It's showing as not in stock for me. I suspect its because of the shipping embargoes
OK, I understand now, as Wiggle is probably shipping from the UK even though this is the AU site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com