Best BB30 to BSA adapter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

Geoff wrote:Lars, you already know what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway: the BB30 SRM for the Cannondale Si crank with SL arms... :D

:D Geoff you are 100% right - and this option is in my wet dreams :mrgreen: - but just to expensive right now.
I am on a set of FSA SRM Gossamer cranks for now - maybe an upgrade later on to the SI Cranks. My new TT rig is on a tight budget so I need to cut some corners here and there (so for now this SiSL option is too expensive for me).

The frame is a Chinese Open Mold similar to the Planet-X Exocet or the Dynatek Lazer (and a dosen other brands). Should have the frame in a few days.
But I guess the Wheels Mfg shims are quite neat - it sure makes it SUPER easy to install BB30 cranks later on.
I was on the other hand hoping the BB's like Rotor and KCNC could be installed easily without any special BB30 tools - would make things easier for me :wink:

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

They can. The Rotor one uses a standard BB tool, like the ones used for eg. Shimano outboard bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

Mario Jr. wrote:They can. The Rotor one uses a standard BB tool, like the ones used for eg. Shimano outboard bearings.

Thanks Mario - I think I am going for the Rotor or KCNC - they are just way easier to work with for the home-mechanic 8)

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The Kcnc is like the Rotor in that it only needs a standard Shimano tool to install it. Actually it needs two of them since you really should tighten both cups against each other at the same time.

jrennie

by jrennie

I tried the Wheels MFG on a caad9 with a sram quarq and when fully tightened down(just enough to remove bearing play) it binds up. Does KCNC make a Sram version Madcow?

Estelja

by Estelja

Picture of the Token version:

http://www.tufonorthamerica.biz/index.p ... ge&pID=918

Uses the full size BB30 bearing and then sleeves down the I.D. to fit 24mm spindle. Seems smart to use a system with the larger bearings if you can.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Anyone know if the Rotor model will work with press fit 30 BB's?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

ty-ro wrote:Anyone know if the Rotor model will work with press fit 30 BB's?

I'm keen to know this too - anyone?... :noidea:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i believe Problem Solvers now makes a PF30-24mm adapter similar to the Wheels Mfg one.
Also, they are not compatible with SL-K Light/K-Force Light cranks, as the FSA cranks use a 1mm narrower cup. In a pinch, I attached them to a drill and spun them, cutting 1mm total with a knife and a file. a lathe would be nice.

...doublechecking, the Problem Solvers item is compatible with both bb30 and PF30. Wheels MFg now makes a version for each.

schima

by schima

madcow wrote:The Kcnc is like the Rotor in that it only needs a standard Shimano tool to install it. Actually it needs two of them since you really should tighten both cups against each other at the same time.

plus you need big force to get the two parts together! the short shimano tools aren't enough. you need longer tools.

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

schima wrote:
madcow wrote:The Kcnc is like the Rotor in that it only needs a standard Shimano tool to install it. Actually it needs two of them since you really should tighten both cups against each other at the same time.

plus you need big force to get the two parts together! the short shimano tools aren't enough. you need longer tools.

REALLY? My LBS did it with a couple of standard SHIMANO tools - looks fine to me :noidea:

The manual by the way states that the driveside should be installed with BB30 tools at first - my LBS gave it a couple of gentle tabs with a rubber-mallet (not sure of the english term here?) instead.

yongkun

by yongkun

Looking to using a BSA crank on my new BB30 frame, dont ask me to get a bb30 cranks as its a BSA PM crank, so sticking to it.

Came across:
SRAM Truvativ BB30 to BSA Adapter Kit $45 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-truvativ-b ... apter-kit/
FSA BB30 Conversion Kit $14.63 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-bb30-conversion-kit/

Are all converter/adapter compatible with majority bb30 frames? Because the design sure doesnt looks the same.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

BB30 is BB30, they're all the same size and dimensions. Any BB30 to BSA adapter will work.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

TruVativ style is correct.

Other example is a regular BB30 bearing kit. Wiggle typo.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i like the wheelsmfg bb30 adapters. they're lighter, cheaper, quicker to install or swap around, less likely to creak, and keeps the larger bb30 bearings in the frame.