Best BB30 to BSA adapter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thencameyou

by thencameyou

nathanong87 wrote:i used the wheel manufacturing delrin adapters on my first two caad10s, worked well. easily installable. no issues that i found. well worth the 25$ shipped from amazon. i dunno. the cranks spin.

this!
another vote for wheels manufacturing cups. didn't want to get a BB30 power meter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dog

by dog

AptosBigRing wrote:Hey guys,
Glad you're liking our BB30/PF30 BB for Shimano cranks. It will be OEM spec on a bunch of brands next year.
Let us know if you have any questions as we just wanted to make a proper BB and not just a plastic spacer.
Adam@Praxis

Which brands will these be?
Also, the question I posed earlier. Your BB has tool grooves on both sides. Yet the "Shimano tool" is only required to torque the DS. Why so or am I missing something?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

AptosBigRing wrote:Hey guys,
Glad you're liking our BB30/PF30 BB for Shimano cranks. It will be OEM spec on a bunch of brands next year.
Let us know if you have any questions as we just wanted to make a proper BB and not just a plastic spacer.

Here's the spec page with explanation of our unique design.

http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adam@Praxis

You will probably have noticed the problems that Campy UT users are having with PF30 adapters. Looking at this design it does not look too difficult to produce a variant with Campy compatible cups. Does it?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

dog

by dog

Blatant no answer to my query from Praxis. Is this how they treat potential customer?

Now will most defo' look elsewhere.

Short of wanting to hijack this thread, please post here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109451

dog

by dog

There is more to a crankset than an OS axle spindle. The crank is an entire system together with the BB. The standard BB provides a most complete package with ample choice to boot in my view.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103603

So we have more and more frames coming out with BB30. What is needed are better solutions to run standard cranksets on these frames. Please post such solutions and experiences here.
Last edited by dog on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexp247365

by alexp247365

Praxxis Works makes a bb30/pf30 to standard adapter.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

I get a team bike next year that will be BB30. I will also be riding my current Simplon with BB86. I plan to use my SRAM SRM GXP on both bikes, which means I have to get an adaptor for the BB30 frame.

Does anyone have any experiences with this? I see two options. I could get a adaptor like the ones from FSA or SRAM which basically converts the frame to a BSA system where I can use a SRAM Red CeramicSpeed box I already have.
Option number two would be to install BB30 bearings and use the adaptor from Wheels Manufacturing which basically just is a shim to make the GXP crankset fit.
Option one is probably the heavist and if I want to sell the frame removing the adaptor would take some work.
Option two would be an easy job.

But what would mechanically be the better option?
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Sorry, I just visited the forum on the tapatalk iPhone app and unfortunately that doesn't that good an overview over the current topics.

By mechanically better I mean would the option number one gives a "better" solution regarding stiffness, bearings and such compared to solution 2 which I think doesn't support the axle all way out by the arms which meas higher stress and potential bigger deformation/lower stiffness for the system.

My Simplon Pavo II

Giant DK

by Giant DK

You asked in another topic about what pros were using. Sutherland used Wheels Manufactoring on his Boardman.

My Simplon Pavo II

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i've been using wheels mfg adapters for my gxp crank, and so has bmc racing team for some of the bb30 frames and their hollowtech cranks.
very simple, very good and probably also a pretty light solution.there are a bunch of adapter bb's around, such as fsa, but the durability of the steel bb30 bearings from sram and the performance and price of the wheels mfg parts beat everything i can think of.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Already quite a few threads on this.

So I've combined them and added this to the Road Index.

Carry on :beerchug:

dog

by dog

simon wrote:i've been using wheels mfg adapters for my gxp crank, and so has bmc racing team for some of the bb30 frames and their hollowtech cranks.
very simple, very good and probably also a pretty light solution.there are a bunch of adapter bb's around, such as fsa, but the durability of the steel bb30 bearings from sram and the performance and price of the wheels mfg parts beat everything i can think of.

Thanks fort the view. I was curious, but Pro bikes are not meant "to last" more than a season.
What happens to used Pro equipment, especially frames at the end of season? Tossed back to manufacture for recycling carbon, do you know?

simonanks69

by simonanks69

What about praxis?
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sold by the teams and/or the riders.

alexb618

by alexb618

thanks everyone for the info in this thread

my last bb30 frame i used na FSA adapter/sleeve which worked well, but i do not have the press to fit it so i had to pay a shop to do it

have just bought a new bb30 frame and i am going to try the kcnc bb30 adapter/bottom bracket - looks like a good system and only about $50, plus seems very simple to install

i did consider the wheels mfg setup but i would need to buy the bb30 bearings plus the tools to install it that i don't own... works out better to go with the kcnc (if it works)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com