Best BB30 to BSA adapter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

I am in the works of building a new time trial rig. I have already bought the frame, but it is BB30 and the SRM cranks I would like to use are Shimano compatible BSA cranks.

SO, what really is the best option here :?:
When saying "best" bearings I mean a combination of lightweight, durable, and of course removable (If I later on need to install a set of BB30 cranks).

Until now the Rotor BB30 to 24 BB looks like the best option to me (ease of installation and removal).

But would I be better of installing standard BB30 bearings + Wheels Mfg BB30 Adapter OR use an adaptor like FSA and install BSA bearings into that afterwards?

I have absolutely no experience with BB30, so I thought I would ask the best :thumbup:

jeffr

by jeffr

I had the same consideration but I ended up selling the bsa cranks and buying used bb30 cranks. Why not do that? It was an almost even deal for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

jeffr wrote:I had the same consideration but I ended up selling the bsa cranks and buying used bb30 cranks. Why not do that? It was an almost even deal for me.

You are probably right, but I still have a winter frame with a standard BSA BB where I would still like to use these SRM cranks (already have 2 wireless cranks and a 3rd set REALLY isn't an option).

Secondly the marked for used wireless SRM cranks really isn't that big over here (I am located in Denmark). I am sure mine would sell fast, but I guess it would take some time sourcing used BB30 cranks...

STARNUT

by STARNUT

The guys from Rotor are making an adapter that is (obviously) an adapter and a BB is one shot. Pretty cool.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

wasfast

by wasfast

My frame came with BB30 but I already had a Fulcrum crank (Campy UT). I had 2 choices, an adapter or the Campy cups for BB30. I opted for the FSA adapter which installed easily and has worked well for 3K miles thus far. The cleaner option was the cups and I'd probably do that if faced with it again. This obviously only applies to Campy cranksets.

ms6073

by ms6073

Lars,

I am soon to be in a similar situation with a 2011 Ridley X-Night CX frameset which has a BB-30 bottom bracket my FSA wireless SRM's are MegaExo. Thanks for pointing out the Rotor bb-30 adapter/bottom bracket but as the other post mentioned, you might also consider the FSA bb-30 adapter but this is somewhat of a more permanent solution. Another alternative I have not yet seen mentioned are BB-30 shims such as the ones by Wheels Manufacturing or the following BB-30 shim/adapters I found with a search on ebay:

KCNC BB30 Adaptor Road Bottom Bracket 68mm Black
FocusTeK BB30 to BB24
Race Face XC Mountain Bike Bottom Bracket BB30 Adapter
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

ms6073 wrote:Lars,

I am soon to be in a similar situation with a 2011 Ridley X-Night CX frameset which has a BB-30 bottom bracket my FSA wireless SRM's are MegaExo. Thanks for pointing out the Rotor bb-30 adapter/bottom bracket but as the other post mentioned, you might also consider the FSA bb-30 adapter but this is somewhat of a more permanent solution. Another alternative I have not yet seen mentioned are BB-30 shims such as the ones by Wheels Manufacturing or the following BB-30 shim/adapters I found with a search on ebay:

KCNC BB30 Adaptor Road Bottom Bracket 68mm Black
FocusTeK BB30 to BB24
Race Face XC Mountain Bike Bottom Bracket BB30 Adapter

ms6073 Thanks for the post: But now I am just even more confused? Are the KCNC and Rotor BB30 to 24 not essentially the same thing: Adaptor AND BB cups/bearings in one unit... :?:
I am not really sold on the FSA as it is more permanent than I would like it to be...
Anybody knows how the KCNC and Rotor are installed (any need of special tools)?

ms6073

by ms6073

LarsEjaas wrote:Are the KCNC and Rotor BB30 to 24 not essentially the same thing: Adaptor AND BB cups/bearings in one unit... :?:
Yes, it would seem so but isn't that often times the case when it comes to thse things? I offered the link to the KCNC adapter as it seemed closer to you since it is offered by UK Ebay Store.
I am not really sold on the FSA as it is more permanent than I would like it to be...
Agreed, but wanted to toss that out there just the same.
Anybody knows how the KCNC and Rotor are installed (any need of special tools)?
No expereince (yet) but from the product information on the Wheels Manufacturing site, I suspect you need the same tools as if installing BB-30 - ie tools appropriate for both press-in and press-out operations. Park Tool offers the BBT 90.3 for removing BB30 bearings but it also includes shims for pressing the bearings back in using the Park headset bearing press tool but there are numberous alternatives.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

You have to look at more than just the adapter, a lot depends on the frame manufacturer. Some manufacturers allow only certain adapters depending on how their shells are built. Check with them and see whats on their approved list.

The standard Wheels manufacturing one works well and is super easy to install, it's probably the lightest option. I have the Kcnc one and it just has two halves that screw together in the middle, it's a nice design but weighs more than some of the simpler ones.

ms6073

by ms6073

madcow wrote:The standard Wheels manufacturing one works well and is super easy to install, it's probably the lightest option.

The Wheels Manufacturing shims are listed as Shimano compatible but do you happen to know if those shim will work with FSA K-Force Light cranks? I ask because FSA's 'Light' offerings tend to be problematic when it comes to 3rd party applications. For example, FSA's ceramic press-fit adapters required for K-Force Light cranks are a bit pricey. I tried to use an Enduro BB86 press-fit adapter but it did not work as I found the outer diameter of the spindle to be ~1mm larger than the inner diameter of the Enduro Ceramics installed in the press-fit adapters. Sure the bearings pop right out of the sleeves but Shimano compatible often times does not mean FSA 'Light' competible as the width of the delrin sleeves in the adapters are 2-3mm wider which resulting in improper spacing and installation problems with the spindle.
- Michael

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've honestly quit trying to do anything with FSA cranks. They have been so frustrating for the last few years with slightly different "standards" as well as other issues.

I can't tell you for sure if they work or not, but if I were a betting man, and I am, I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't be compatible without some modification to something.

ms6073

by ms6073

BB30/86/90/92/RIGHT/MOST - Oh the horrow! :unbelievable: I really dread hearing the news anytime a manufacturer starts espousing new bottom bracket standards.
madcow wrote:I've honestly quit trying to do anything with FSA cranks. They have been so frustrating for the last few years with slightly different "standards" as well as other issues.
Agreed. I also would have stopped using FSA if not for the fact that all of our bikes have FSA K-Force Light cranksets - 3 of them being FSA SRM's.
- Michael

row618

by row618

Token also makes a conversion kit. It has the bearings and caps and is pressed into the frame. I ran it on my kona carbon cross until I got the SPZ s works crank fitted into the frame. They seemed pretty good. I had the ceramic version of the adapter.

Ran shimano 7900 cranks with them

Agree on the FSA cranks I purposely waited fro the SPZ bb30 cranks as I did not want to go with any FSA option

nathan

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Another vote for the Wheels Mfg ones.

They allow you to use BB30 bearings, which are cheaper than any proprietary ones out there.

Geoff

by Geoff

Lars, you already know what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway: the BB30 SRM for the Cannondale Si crank with SL arms... :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com