Best Budget Ti Skewers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

Im using One23 skewers. Hadn't heard of the company before but saw them on wiggle very cheap and took the punt. I'm very impressed. Nice finish, not too short, knurled contact points and more clamping force than I would dare to use.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/one23-qr-road-h ... kewer-set/

They come in at 43.62g in Black. Pretty good bang for buck.

Jesper64

by Jesper64

Would anyone with the Planet X Ti skewers be able to measure their length please? I'd like the length of the skewer with the lever closed from the inside of the cam to the end of the skewer and the thickness of the nut.

I've got the KCNC titanium skewers and because of the thick dropouts on my bike, they're just a tad too short.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

lannes

by lannes

controltech race lite skewers, harder to steal wheels

http://www.controltechbikes.nl/english/ ... kewers.php

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I got some token ones from amazon for like $33. I think they are about 44g and ship free with prime.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Jesper64 wrote:Would anyone with the Planet X Ti skewers be able to measure their length please? I'd like the length of the skewer with the lever closed from the inside of the cam to the end of the skewer and the thickness of the nut.

I've got the KCNC titanium skewers and because of the thick dropouts on my bike, they're just a tad too short.

Thanks

Front (lever closed) 125mm, Rear 155mm, Nut 10mm.
so dropout thickness no more than 7.5mm - 8mm max.

Jesper64

by Jesper64

Tenlegs wrote:
Jesper64 wrote:Would anyone with the Planet X Ti skewers be able to measure their length please? I'd like the length of the skewer with the lever closed from the inside of the cam to the end of the skewer and the thickness of the nut.

Thanks

Front (lever closed) 125mm, Rear 155mm, Nut 10mm.
so dropout thickness no more than 7.5mm - 8mm max.

Cheers thanks a lot for that. Wish the rear was just a smidgen longer, don't think they'll work for me.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I can buy me a pair of controltech race lights for 30 euro. Any advice? Good quality?

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Anyone?

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been buying used Zipp Ti skewers off ebay. My theory was that Zipp would use better materials and have better quality control than a non-name or ebay seller.

lannes

by lannes

jorisee01 wrote:I can buy me a pair of controltech race lights for 30 euro. Any advice? Good quality?

I have not had any problems with my 4 sets of race lites for over 3 years, they come in different lengths, for a road bike it is 100mm front and 130mm rear.
If your a heavier rider go with the normal race version rather than the lights.
They work well with laywer tabs and I would not screw them on super tight and grease the threads.

RyanH

by RyanH

NoiseBoy wrote:Im using One23 skewers. Hadn't heard of the company before but saw them on wiggle very cheap and took the punt. I'm very impressed. Nice finish, not too short, knurled contact points and more clamping force than I would dare to use.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/one23-qr-road-h ... kewer-set/

They come in at 43.62g in Black. Pretty good bang for buck.

Those look almost identical to the ones that came with my Reynolds RZRs. Weight is almost identical too. Reynolds has them for $55 I think. I think they might be slightly better than the KCNCs.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Thanks lannes!

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Is it safe to use cheap skewers? Or let me ask that the other way around, are there any examples of these not being safe?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HTML

by HTML

Don't buy those Planet X skewers. They use a soft plastic cam piece on the lever end. So the more you open and close them the more it wears away then starts to fall apart and disintegrates. Mine was shot in less than a year. Clamping force wasn't all that great either. Its best to buy skewers with a metal cam piece.