Best Budget Ti Skewers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

datlas

by datlas

First posting. I tried the search but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Anyway I am interested in getting a set of Ti Skewers. I have heard the KCNC are of good quality but they are a bit pricey.

There are some cheap J&L ones on Ebay, but I am wondering if they are going to loosen up or not be safe. I also see ones branded circus monkey, dixi, and token.

I know this is subjective, but if you could suggest whether any of these are trustworthy or should be avoided, I would appreciate it.

Doug

kregg

by kregg

Hey There, Welcome to the forum!

I bought a pair of these mid last season and like them, no problems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/J-L-Ti-Titanium-Ske ... 4155b9e8cc

I bought ugly green ones cuz I got 'em cheap, and found a friend that happened to have blue powder coat.... they came out great!

Tarmac SL3 S-Works 13.75lbs 6.24kg
Jamis Xenith Pro 16.1lbs 7.31kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

USofChay

by USofChay

Far & Near are excellent. Sold by fairwheel.

devinci

by devinci

KCNC ~45g affordable lots of color

kac

by kac

C-4 makes two models of titanium skewers. Their "Ultimate" weighs 54.5 grams and costs ~$70.00. I use that one and I've been very satisfied in comparison to Carbon-Ti (okay, but the housing on one of them rattled unless clamped just right) and Campagnolo (heavy). C-4 has another titanium skewer that weighs more (82 grams) and costs less ($50.00). I'm not sure what the difference, other than weight, is between these models.

Dalai

by Dalai

Torpedo7.com.au skewers - 45g on the scales. I bought a couple of pairs when they were on special at AU$19.95. Otherwise they normally sell for AU$29.95. :D

Just as long as you like silver.

theremery

by theremery

I have J+L bolt ons very light at 28g (they claim 31g with springs but are actually 30g/pr) without springs but they are hard not to round the allen head out of them so that is sucky. Great weight...hard to use.
KCNC: a top all-round performer but not overly cheap...my 2nd fav.
Torpedo-7...my favourite skewer for the $$ by miles. Work well and only 2g heavier than the KCNC (and it's all in the end nut thingee). I bought 1/2 doz pairs when they were last on special on torpedo7. They work fine..great secure closure and easy to operate.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I will agree on the C-4 UL titanium skewer, I got a set free when I ordered my c-4 hubs no problems what so ever.

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Just ordered some KCNC's last week.

Camilo

by Camilo

I bought a set of A2Z titanium skewers couple of years ago - mine were purchased from Pro Bike Kit, but search on A2Z titanium and you can find them on ebay. A quick peek on ebay shows that some listings say 85 grams, but actual weight for my pair is 75 grams. Not the lightest, but very solid and cheap.

The lever part of the skewer is quite large - which may or may not be a good thing. It definitely makes it easy to put on tightly.

ChrisRM

by ChrisRM

J&L (levers - not bolt ons) come in at around 56g a pair from ebay - very cheap and I've been using mine for nearly 2 years now without any problems.

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

I love that you can buy this stuff so cheap now. Makes it easy to be a weenie. :D

datlas

by datlas

OK thanks for the feedback.

I bit the bullet and got a set of the KCNC from ebay for 55 bucks....I just hope they are not counterfeit!!

They should go well with the Williams 38C's I just got for the spring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

datlas

by datlas

As a followup, I just got the KCNC skewers in the mail today. They are quite light and seem to be machined well and of good quality. Of course I haven't actually used them yet...

Now I just have to figure out if I should use ultralight butyl tubes or latex...