Campy Super Record Derailleur Hits Spokes of Reynolds MV32UL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@tommasini,

Out of the five pairs, two pairs (including a '14 Fernweg tubulars) were made specifically for 11 speed.
Both (supposedly made for 11 speed) are having issues with Campy EPS, however all five works perfectly on the mechanical groupset.

Cheers.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

that is interesting. it could be the frame itself where the derailleur screws into the frame. the frame hanger could be a different thickness, thus affecting the shifting. putting a washer between derailleur and frame has worked for me. I have several LW wheels, and only on frame does LW pose a problem but that is with DURA ACE Di2. my other EPS bikes do not hit the spokes of the LW Wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@mike,

Thanks for sharing.
Yes, the frame, RD hanger thickness etc could be a factor.

Anyway, I'm currently in the midst of communicating with Carbonsports on this issue.
Will share the conclusion here once the problem is resolved.

Cheers.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Harmitc wrote:
maverick_1 wrote:@Harmitc,

Carbonsports wheelset equipped with DT Swiss freehub is compatible for both 10 and 11 speed, regardless of the generation. No special spacers necessary. All my five pairs works perfectly on Campy 11 mechanical groupset, however on Campy EPS shifting is not optimum due to spacing issues, in addition to EPS RD grazing the spokes when shifted to the largest cogset.

Cheers

Many thanks for the reply.

Later today I'am going to check spoke clearances on my Super Record groups, then swap wheels onto my EPS bike. Can't see why it should be any different but if there is change then I'll understand why your having the problem. But as I mentioned above its strange Carbonsports are selling a product into a market with a known problem?

After checking existing wheels between Super Record Mechanical and then EPS with no discernible difference in clearance my Carbonsports Obermayers arrived yesterday. I immediately checked clearances on my EPS frame and if anything there is slightly more spoke clearance than with the Bora 35's that were in place.

Chain to drop out clearance is also similar.

So thankfully in my case at least, no issues at all running 11 speed with EPS or mechanical and the current Carbonsports wheel dish.

Smallring

by Smallring

I had the same problem with a wheel built wtih DT240s hubs, spokes hitting the Campy SR derailleur when I shift to the 25 cog. I ended up getting a Campy Bora, issue is solved. I converted the DT240s hub to Shimano 10 spd and don't have the issue with rubbing running Shimano setup.

WESTMOTORSPORTS

by WESTMOTORSPORTS

New Bora ultra 50 wheels came in....problem solved! Over 1/8" space between cage and spokes. Re-adjusted eps drlr and know have perfect shifting. I truely have nothing bad to say on the performance and durability of my 5 pairs of Reynolds/dt240 wheels other than they just aren't compatible with Campagnolo 11spd!

Harmitc

by Harmitc

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418147706.585932.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418147658.768557.jpg

Following on from my previous post managed to take a couple of photos today with the chain at the two extreme points on the cassette. Clearance is very close to that of the Bora 35's previously fitted. The cage to spoke clearance actually looks closer in the pic than reality. Again similar to the Bora clearance.