Remember my itch... I scratched it....!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

spookyload wrote:I saw the Calfee at a bike expo last November. It is the same bar as the Stella, and the carbon bars you can get on eBay for $150. The stem is the same stem as well. If you buy the pro carbon or velo carbon version of the stem, it is ~$70. So basically $225 for both if you don't have to have the carbon wrap. To be honest, the carbon wrap looks a tad unfinished. Looks like somebody did it in their garage as an experiment.

Is the pro carbon or velo carbon a Stelle Stem? The only one they have on their website is the GPA 4.8 Vice Versa Carbon.

In general how good is Stella's stuff?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

spookyload wrote:I saw the Calfee at a bike expo last November. It is the same bar as the Stella, and the carbon bars you can get on eBay for $150. The stem is the same stem as well. If you buy the pro carbon or velo carbon version of the stem, it is ~$70. So basically $225 for both if you don't have to have the carbon wrap. To be honest, the carbon wrap looks a tad unfinished. Looks like somebody did it in their garage as an experiment.

Yeh,

I'm not crazy about the finish Either but in Gloss it should look fine, also nice and light at about 320 grams, not bad for an ergo bar. It saves about 80 grams over the Stelle combo, and should be stiffer/safer. I could always get it painted a solid color.

Boonen

by Boonen

Hey jalapeno, that is one great frameset!
You could win one in last months Tour magazine (I didn't). I saw it and it is really beautiful, the bike itself looks superb and the paintjob just looks great.

jalapeno

by jalapeno

sharkman wrote:like the frame/paintwork on the anniversary. The aero fork however is crap (had allready a few customers that changed it to the good old (and much much better) stilletto. Only way I would consider this bike is if Storck would paint me the Thm product........

That's a very subjective statement, The Stiletto is a superb fork so how much worse is the aero... and in what respect? How does it stand up against the rest of the market - Alpha Q, Reynolds et al? Besides, I'm only 132lbs so is really going to hurt me...
If I really don't like it then the colour scheme would still work reasonably well with a black fork.

Boonen

by Boonen

The fork is a bit heavier and less stiff than the stilletto (which really is one of the nicest forks around IMO)
At 132 lbs I don't think you will have any problems with the stiffness. I don't have any real first hand experience with this fork, but I haven't heard any particular complaints other than the weight.
Sharkman, why did your customers change their forks?

newbieweenie

by newbieweenie

VERY nice. I wish those were easier to get a hold of in the states.

sharkman

by sharkman

Sharkman, why did your customers change their forks?

Well, the weight isn't very good and the complaint was that the fork absolutely doesn't match qualtity of the frame (it was the sideway stiffness that bothered one of them).
In my opinion the quality (or lack off it) shows when you comper it to the much better stilletto. With the last one (or the the look HSC5 that the other customer took) the frame becomes the perfect racer for heavier riders.
In combination with the aero the frame feels ok. but the fork spoils it by feeling spongy/whoolly.
By the way to compare: it's worse than the scott CR1 fork and I don't like that either.

Boonen

by Boonen

sharkman, thanks for the reply. Good to know when the shop sells the occasional Storck.