EC 90 SL 38mm clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

geldorave

by geldorave

Hi all,

can anyone care to give some reviews to the above

and compare this with the FFWD R4R clincher...

torn between these 2..appreciate any comments.

Tks! :D :D
Argon Krypton 2010
SRAM Rival

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

:| Seems to me that there is no competition between the two.

For me, Easton all the way. It's one of the brand that attract me the most, first because you can get them really cheap in regards of the quality (around 1000€ for a new set of EC90 tubies (SLX or Aero).
The rims seem bombproof, like Reynolds or Shimano, and the hubs are the "sons" of old Velomax hubs which were highly rated.

:smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geldorave

by geldorave

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote::| Seems to me that there is no competition between the two.

For me, Easton all the way. It's one of the brand that attract me the most, first because you can get them really cheap in regards of the quality (around 1000€ for a new set of EC90 tubies (SLX or Aero).
The rims seem bombproof, like Reynolds or Shimano, and the hubs are the "sons" of old Velomax hubs which were highly rated.

:smartass:

tks for the input, am leaning towards Easton too...will get it soon if the price is right..=)
Argon Krypton 2010
SRAM Rival

redhed18

by redhed18

He's looking at clinchers, not tubulars...

FFWD can be had fairly cheap over at PBK, substantially less than retail... (which I paid FWIW.)
e.g. http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=W0192

You didn't say whether you were considering the F4R-c with their house-brand hubs - which are supposed to be good, or the DT 240 hubs.
I got the DT, but am sure the house-brand would have been equally fine.
Out of paranoia, I might have just bought some spares if I had got the house-brand...

Like you I was torn between the FFWD and that exact Easton wheelset.

The Easton is definitely lighter.
But apparently you have to send them back to Easton if they need servicing.
There was initially some small issue with the bearing pre-load adjustment (?) but they corrected in subsequent revisions.
Lots of good words about the braking, though the aluminum brake track of the FFWD probably has a slight edge...

The FFWD are a good well-built wheel, you could do you own work or have your LBS do it.
good hubs, good spokes, brass nipples, a little on the heavier side, but you can beat them up.
You could have some generic wheels made up of more or less the same components for less though.
The FFWD do look hot ... :)

I've put about 3K on the F6R-c 240's and from flying over raised bridge joints to kerb hopping, they are still true as the day they came.
I weigh 160-165...

You will be happy with either, so whatever your heart and wallet wants most.
cheers

geldorave

by geldorave

yeah im going for their house brand hub, i guess it boils down to how willing is my wallet in releasing those funds. for aesthetic reason i'll choose FFWD, but performance wise, no doubt, Easton....

tks for all the inputs. will carefully consider the options available..hopefully soon..

Cheers! :D
Argon Krypton 2010
SRAM Rival

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

geldorave wrote:yeah im going for their house brand hub, i guess it boils down to how willing is my wallet in releasing those funds. for aesthetic reason i'll choose FFWD, but performance wise, no doubt, Easton....

tks for all the inputs. will carefully consider the options available..hopefully soon..

Cheers! :D

I am not sure I understand the idea behind the Easton EC90 sl wheelset :?:
I compared it to the Easton EA90 Aero - and the rimheight is almost as high, they are cheaper, only 15 g. heavier and you get better braking with aluminium rims.
In my world the aero-benefit has to be good or the weight has to be substantially lower if I want to bother with carbon brake-tracks :|

kervelo

by kervelo

This may help you decide between Eastons and FFWDs:
FFWD F4R clincher wheels for 800 eur in Bikepalast (Austria)
http://www.bikepalast.com/index.php/man ... orwad.html

TMK001

by TMK001

FWIW... I got the Eastons... they are still sitting in a box at home. Too busy with work right now and waiting on some clinchers to come in for them...

jlidds

by jlidds

Hi,

I've just picked up on this thread. I'm madly debating between these two exact wheels and want to buy now!

How are the Eastons performing, just out of interest?
Tarmac S-Works SL6
Tarmac S-Works SL7
Tarmac S-Works SL8
Venge S-Works
Look 695
Look 795 Blade RS
Aurum Magma
Time Alpe d'Huez 23
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Lab71 (for sale)

DMF

by DMF

Switched from EC70SL's (38mm carbon clincher w/ alu brake track) a couple of weeks ago, which I rode for most of last season, to a pair of 52mm Cosmic SL's. I was quite shocked how bad the Eastons were in hard side winds... They were, by comparison, extremely twitchy and nervous. The Mavics I just lean up against the wind and "sail" smoothly. It's more of a pushing sensation rather than a grab and shake motion as with the Eastons.

And from what I read, the Cosmic's arent considered very good, compared to 303's/404's and the like...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com