Emonda vs SuperSix vs Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikebike

by bikebike

I am getting a new bike after using Trek5500 for 17 years (and 5 DuraAce gruppos). I am finding it very hard to compare frames from one manufacturer to the next. Any feelings regarding Trek Emonda vs Canonndale SuperSix vs Specialized Tarmac?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gmakris

by gmakris

I dont like super six due to external cabling.

Emonda is build with less material to be light and if you press the frame in many areas the layup bents with your fingure.

Tarmac is heavier from both but it is stiffer in front end and BB

raven14

by raven14

I've only ridden the Emonda, I found it a very difficult bike to steer in technical descents. There's a lot of understeer and then snappy oversteer on the limit.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Susi has very sublime and compliant ride, due to 25.4 mm SP and pencil thin stays.

Also, the geometry is quite comfy, with stack to reach ratio around 1.42 in size 58.

For all day rounds and sure footed handling, it is very recommended.

Roadbike.de actually liked it a lot as well

Tapatalkkal küldve az én D5833 eszközömről

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

gmakris wrote:Emonda is build with less material to be light and if you press the frame in many areas the layup bents with your fingure.

So what are you implying?

I'm 200# and have 8000 miles on my SLR.

To the OP... ride them all. I've been comfortable on my Emonda since day one. But i came from a Madone 4 which has almost exactly the same geometry.

The only way to know which "fits", is to ride them all.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

The Emonda is a bike designed with lightness in mind - it is the least stiff bike of the three - it is also probably the most comfortable of the three (from what I understand).

The Supersix (I own one and adore it) is built with stiffness and weight in mind. It is actually a surprisingly comfortable bike and handles fantastically well. If you are a power house, you could possibly fault the BB stiffness in the Supersix.

The Tarmac is an awesome bike - but it is the heaviest. It is nicely well rounded, and handles well - also plenty stiff in the BB upfront.

What sort of rides do you do and what characteristics are you looking for in a bike?

topflightpro

by topflightpro

gmakris wrote:I dont like super six due to external cabling.

Wow, really? The new Evo has, IMO, the best cabling option out there. If you go mechanical, you get external cables, which is awesome. Internal cables are such a PIA, even with the right tools or cable liners. And if you go electronic, everything is routed internally, and you can remove the cable guides. Best of both worlds, I think.

vilegnus

by vilegnus

topflightpro wrote:
gmakris wrote:I dont like super six due to external cabling.

Wow, really? The new Evo has, IMO, the best cabling option out there. If you go mechanical, you get external cables, which is awesome. Internal cables are such a PIA, even with the right tools or cable liners. And if you go electronic, everything is routed internally, and you can remove the cable guides. Best of both worlds, I think.

My 2013 EVO Hi-Mod was Di2 specific without any signs of mech. compatibility.
Hope they fixed it in newer models

gmakris

by gmakris

External cabling draws dirt, causes more drag (aero) and is ungly.
I agree internal cabling is more difficult to install but you do it only once

rainerhq

by rainerhq

vejnemojnen wrote:Also, the geometry is quite comfy, with stack to reach ratio around 1.42 in size 58.

Never heard about this kind of comparsion. The smaller the ratio, the racier the bike is?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

topflightpro

by topflightpro

vilegnus wrote:My 2013 EVO Hi-Mod was Di2 specific without any signs of mech. compatibility.
Hope they fixed it in newer models

They did. For the new 2016 Evo HM, all frames were mechanical and electronic compatible. Electronic is routed internally - there is a small port just over the rear brake cable entry for the electronic wiring to enter.

For Mechanical, it is external to the bottom bracket. The cable guide bolts under the downtube, then the cables run externally to the bottom bracket then run into the chain stay for the rear derailleur. The design is intended to make it easier to swap cables.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Internal, external....

eTap

bikebike

by bikebike

Any feelings about the post-mount hydraulic disk brakes for Specialized Tarmac vs flat/ direct mount hydr disk brakes for Cannondale SuSix?
It seems that flat mount is going to become industry standard, at least for SRAM and Shimano. Shimano claims it reduces vibration noise and may be stronger.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

I have no feelings on this and Im not sure going either way will make an impact on wheel choice etc in future.

Are you struggling to decide, and using this as a decision point?

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have an Emonda SL so it's not as light as the SLR model, stripped of it's Shimano 105 group that it came with and replaced with a Campy SR group, and I have it set up as my rain bike because I was able to fit full fenders on it. But I rode it around before mounting fenders for the winter and have to say, would not be slighted in the least if I had to ride it on any big trip versus my Colnagos. The Trek's "Ride Tuned" Technology actually does what they say. While not as compliant as the Domane with it's iso speed pivot, it does have a little give that I could notice over my Colnagos. But it wasn't so much give that it felt weird or mushy.

I looked carefully at both the Tarmac and the Cannondales, but the Trek ticked more boxes on all fronts for me and my intended use. First and foremost was fit and geometry. I ride a 61 Traditional Colnago, ideally, although I'll be building up a 59 Traditional shortly. The Trek 60 had almost identical geometry with a bit of front end differences in fork offset etc. My Colnago 61T has the same top tube length and seat tube anlge as the Trek, with a headtube that falls smack in the middle of Treks H2 and H1 geometry, but I got the H2 in the Emonda SL as that it all it came in, plus I thought the H1 would be too aggressive for me. Building this bike up was a treat... the cabling, the routing, everthing is well thought out. And I like the lines of the frame aesthetically. Not a single regret in getting this bike.

The closest Tarmac I would have gotten was in size 58. It would have worked, but the geometry on the Trek was closest to what I wanted. And as I wanted clearance for 25mm tires and full fenders, the Tarmac would not have fit the bill. I did not want disc brakes.

As for the Cannondale, while I work on several of my racing buddies bikes, the geometry just doesn't work for me. I'm really in between sizes both in headtube length and top tube length. So I ruled that out.

At the end of the day, I got the bike that fit me, first and foremost, as close as possible to what I know works for me, then looked at things like aesthetics, and clearances etc., and just an overall appeal. The Emonda checked all the boxes. And I didn't even look at the SLR version because of the direct mount brakes, not that I don't like them, but since I have my own unique mounting method for getting fenders/mudguards on high end road bikes, I needed the center mounting bolt on the brake for it to work out well.

So, if your previous Trek served you well for 17 years, that may be your best bet again. Unless of course, you just want a change for change sake. But I don't think you can really go wrong with any of your choices.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ