Baffled by weight of Pinarello Prince / Other bike weights?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimmer23

by jimmer23

Ok, I'm out of ideas here. Call me crazy, but with all the talk during the TDF about minimum UCI weight requirements and additional weights being stuck on some bikes, etc etc - I finally decided to weigh my own and was kinda shocked at what I found. Here's the rundown:

2003 Pinarello Prince 58 cm
Pinarello Carbon Fiber seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle
2004 Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset
Deda Synapsi handlebar/stem combo
Full Dura Ace 7700 9-speed group
Dura Ace 7700 Ti cassette 11-23
Wippermann stainless chain
Dura Ace 7800 pedals
Continental Attack/Force tires
Michelin Ultralight tubes
2 Elite Pateo carbon cages
Shimano FlightDeck

that's it

And I get 18lbs as the total bike weight??

I know I know, it's still light (maybe not for you guys), but I was honestly expecting to see at the very most 17lbs with all the talk of 15. Not that I really care too much, I love my bike and would ride it just as well if it were 2lbs either way, but I am a little confused - where is the weight coming from? The frame's only supposed to be 1,400 grams, and everything else I thought was superlight. I'm not a psycho weight maniac who would start drilling holes in everything now (although the Dremmel tool is sitting over there... ), but if anyone else could share the weight of their ride or shed some light on my pig of a bike's weight problem that would be great.

Cheers
Jim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nexusheli

by nexusheli

The weight you list for the frame is just that, for the frame. The Pinarello Fork and HS weight another pound and a half by themselves (650+g). Miscellanious bolts, lube/grease, variances in real vs. claimed weights, it's very easy to end up with an 18lb bike.

leadag

by leadag

i think most here compare weight without pedals / computer and bottle cages.

subract all of the above, lop some weight off the fork as previously metioned, and your probably doing pretty well..

Knut

by Knut

leadag wrote:i think most here compare weight without pedals / computer and bottle cages.

subract all of the above, lop some weight off the fork as previously metioned, and your probably doing pretty well..

What makes you think that? I personally believe that 95% here compares weight of rideable bikes. Some may not use a computer, some may use only one bottlecage, some build their bikes for display and don't need either. :wink:

I think that the difference is in the details, just some examples:

Fizik Arione vs. Tune Speedneedle saddle: +/- 140 grams
FSA K-Force Lite Carbon 27,2/250 vs. New Ultimate 27,2/250: +/- 90 grams
Look 4x4 vs. CB Egg Beater 3Ti pedals: +/- 110 grams

The list goes on. If you want a light bike you need to pay attention to every part you select for it to make sure it has the right balance of low weight and 100% useability.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Agree with Knut 100%.

You can spend about the same amount of money and end up with a bike between 15-18 lb.

Believe me, I spent enough for a much lighter bike, but ended up with a 18lb ++ bike, because I didn't really do the research. I wish I'd known about the listings.

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

I think some of the parts you picked because they look good, others perhaps because they were recommended by your LBS, but the little bit here, and the little bit there all adds up and before you know it, you've got yourself an 18 pounder. :shock:

I think the first place to lose weight (and you will feel it immediately) is at the wheels, Ksyriums are nice, but they are heavy. Integrated bars are nice too, but heavy as well. Even the choice of tire and tube makes a difference. You could also lose some weight with the pedals. Ultimately though, you can't escape the weight of the frame. With a large frame like yours, there's a certain limit to how much weight you can lose.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

2003 Pinarello Prince 58 cm Manufacturers will quote weights for a 54 or 56 - frame only
Pinarello Carbon Fiber seatpost Heavy at 200g (Dura Ace is lighter50g saving easily possible USE,WR,Deda

Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle Light!

2004 Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset Not all that light especially if HP no tubs200g saving possible without resorting to tubs. Handbuilt on DT Hugi

Deda Synapsi handlebar/stem combo 470g!! Not adjustable! get a lighter cheaper set-up which is !150 easily possible in alloy!!! 3T Less 199 in an FRM Stem

Full Dura Ace 7700 9-speed group Light enough for a stock group, but can be tweaked!

Dura Ace 7700 Ti cassette 11-23 Fine

Wippermann stainless chain 300g+??30g possible easily SRAM PC89R Hollow,KMC

Dura Ace 7800 pedals Ok

Continental Attack/Force tires Light for Pressures

Michelin Ultralight tubes Not that light50g possible Conti

2 Elite Pateo carbon cages Ok

Shimano FlightDeck Double the weight of most std computers40g possible VDO, Cateye

Check the topcap for the forks stock ones are notoriously heavy, and check the fork and frame weights. When columbus quoted weights for their tube sets they used to cut them for a 52cm frame!!

So all in all you could drop 500g+ without resorting to any super trick expensive kit

nexusheli

by nexusheli

ultimobici wrote:Pinarello Carbon Fiber seatpost Heavy at 200g (Dura Ace is lighter50g saving easily possible USE,WR,Deda...

Pinarello stock carbon seatposts are made by WR.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

nexusheli wrote:Pinarello stock carbon seatposts are made by WR.

WR make lighter pins with their own branding.

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

True, they are lighter, but not by much :cry:
Attachments
Dogma FP 022.jpg

JTC

by JTC

Have to agree with everyone above. Its all in the parts. I have a 2001 Prince and it weighs in at just over 16lbs. By the way, that frame in 58 is more like 1600g. I think mine (58 as well) is close to 3.5lbs....but its still my favorite to ride.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

LJ wrote:True, they are lighter, but not by much :cry:
Well USE seem to be a little more honest with their weights

Oswald

by Oswald

brianwchan wrote:Agree with Knut 100%.

You can spend about the same amount of money and end up with a bike between 15-18 lb.

Believe me, I spent enough for a much lighter bike, but ended up with a 18lb ++ bike, because I didn't really do the research. I wish I'd known about the listings.

You should also handpick parts... That's what I do. Although I must admit I work in a bikeshop so I can do this during lunch hour. I wouldn't go to a store with a scale. Some of our customers do this though, but we usually don't have the time for that kind of crap.

jimmer23

by jimmer23

Thanks for the tips guys, and to set the record straight all of my parts ARE handpicked - it's not like I went to a bikeshop and asked them to sell me their most expensive sheit. Although the Synapsi are heavy, I like them. I've wet-sanded them down to get all the ugly Deda graphics off and reclearcoated and they look SWEET. And thanks for the list ultimobici, it really helped me to decide where to shave some weight off. For starters, I purchased some ZeroG calipers and a Wippermann titanium chain today. Those alone should get me under 17, so I'll sleep a little better next week when I finally get them on. And since I'm keeping the Ksyriums cause I love them and I do weigh over 180lbs, that's probably as good as I'm going to get. I'll update once I know the new weight next week, and thanks again!

nexusheli

by nexusheli

I think what he meant by hand-picking is if you have 4 Easton EC-90 handlebars in the shop, figuring out which one is the lightest and buying it over the other 3.

I know I would shoot any customer that came in asking me to weigh all the handlebars.

I guess that's why I don't own a bike shop...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com