Tune Mag 190/200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I am looking for a replacement rear hub for my Reynolds Stratus, as it seem to have disintegrated on me...
I can see that the flange diameter and spacing is almost identical on the tune hubs, but I have also read that radial lacing will void the warranty. Is that true, and does that apply when its only left side on a 24 hole hub?

Also what is the real difference between the Mag 190 and the Mag 200?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

It's probably best to contact Tune about the radial lacing. If it was for myself I would do it, but if it was for somebody else I wouldn't risk it.

AFAIK the only real difference between the mag 190 and mag 200 is that the 190 is the newer and slightly lighter version of the 200. Besides the 10gr. weightsavings I don't believe they changed much on the inside, they are still very nice hubs :) + advertised as Tune's stiffest rearhub.

divve

by divve

That's correct. It's clearly stated in the manual that anything other than 3 cross voids warranty on their rear hubs.

The difference between MAG190 and MAG200 appears to be minimal. The non-drive side bearing has a smaller O.D., Campy and Shimano free hub bearings are now the same, and the adjustment axle adjustment cap is now completely aluminum.

Stocking spares for maintenance is easier now as the same axle and freehub bearings are used all round in MAG190 (both Shimano and Campy) and MIG70 front hub (61802 2RS). .

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

divve wrote:That's correct. It's clearly stated in the manual that anything other than 3 cross voids warranty on their rear hubs.

tune is not really sure about that itself, because the german manual says:
The MAG 190 should be laced 3x crossed.
Attention: the MAG 190 may not be laced radial.

while the english one says
Lace only with a three-cross spoke pattern.
Any other lacing will void the warranty on this hub.

So, when I refer to the german manual at least 2x should be OK - tune does this also on their Super RR and Olympic Gold wheelsets on the non-drive side.
Image Image

weiwentg

by weiwentg

there's no reason you need to lace a new hub in the same pattern the old one was laced (for Reynolds, I think it was 2x drive, radial nondrive). Mike Garcia built me a 24h rear hub laced 3x drive and 2x nondrive.