custom build with 404 rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leadag

by leadag

hello all

I am looking for a carbon aero wheelset for mainly triis, and some road races. Everything is hilly here, so both aero and weight are important. I've done searches on this form, and the reynolds stratus looks like a very nice option, but hard to find a good deal. So i am also looking at zipp 404's - perhaps not as stiff/durable as the reynolds, but more aero, and roughly the same weight!

I have found a shop here in canada selling 404 rims laced to AC hubs, for a very good price:
http://www.endurosport.com/shop/bike/wheels.asp

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of wheel building, so i am keen to hear what everyone has to say about this build. How do the AC hubs compare to the zipp hubs? Is it difficult to make a good build with carbon rims? They follow the same lacing pattern as the 404 wheelset.

The shop will build a set with different spokes if i provide the spokes.

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inferno

by inferno

great rims. front AC hubs I have tried have been fine. rear hub is a different story. AC is currently doing a recall on the rear hub. stick with the genuine zipp wheels. The zipp wheels also come with sapim cx-ray spokes whereas the AC's do not, unless you special order them... this kinda cancels out any savings... ac charges some $ for those spokes

leadag

by leadag

i should mention the zipp built 404's are $400 more!