Frankies bike project - Finished sanding an R4!!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

konky

by konky

Frankie-B 131.5gms is a great weight for a set of zeros as they should be nearer 135gms considering the stock zeros weigh 164 for a pair and you have saved 28.3gms for the butterflies and Ti bolts. That means the ward spindles must be lighter than a pair of the stock Speedplay Ti spindles. I bought a pair of tuned X1 peddles from a German supplier (with ALU butterflies and ALU bolts weight 13 gms) which weigh 129 gms. They cost me more than your zeros and should be ligher being X1s. Your hard work and clever thinking has paid off.

Tallboy

by Tallboy

Frankie, first off I hope your mother in law is doing ok?

Has anyone got on the carbolift site recently? It seems to be down. I'd love to get some to the uk to try, do they have stockists or ship direct?

Great project, looking to do very similar to my track bike!
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@ Konky, Thanks for the heads up! they really came out nice and light. To be honest I can't wait to ride them. Sadly I need to strip the frame some more... and then rebuild the bike.

@Tallboy, I just checked http://www.carbolift.com/and it seems to be up and running. I believe that they are taking orders.

We just had a small conference call about the paint lifting on my frame as I'm running into some real super hard and tough white paint. We decided that I'm going to make a few test spots first in order to see what we are actually dealing with. Here is a picture of the frame so you can all enjoy the pain I'm in right now ;) :

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Steen

by Steen

That's cool.
I'm looking forward to see the frame completely naked :)
Is it going to be sub 900gr?

Greets,

Jasper

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Sub 900 grams, not unless i remove the down tube :0) sub 1000 grams is doable though.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

philischen

by philischen

Looks great. Can't wait to get my carbolift.

But I hope my chinese carbon TT frame doesn't have such a "high class" paintjob :D .

Tallboy

by Tallboy

I like it half done ..I was half tempted to just do a panel of my track bike like that.. Or maybe just the backend as that's the bit that bugs me being white. Will you be able to use the liquid then sand over the top, or sand first then the liquid maybe to break the surface?

This must be reassuring if you own a Scott, you aren't gona scratch it any time soon!

Anyone got an email for carbolift? The site still doesn't work for me. Could be my stupid iPad, or could be it has a virus so my computer is blocking it from loading.. Either way I can't get on!
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

philischen

by philischen

Tallboy wrote:
Anyone got an email for carbolift? The site still doesn't work for me. Could be my stupid iPad, or could be it has a virus so my computer is blocking it from loading.. Either way I can't get on!

For me, it just works as usual...

Edit: Just read your post above. The only ship directly from Canada. Actually shipping costs are higher then the product itself :D
Just send Jeffrey an email, he will help you out -> PM

VesaP

by VesaP

Frankie - B wrote:That is al light as the claimed weight of the nanograms!

Here is the real weight of my Nanogram pedals:

And here are cleats:

http://www.elisanet.fi/race/pics/zero3.jpg
http://www.elisanet.fi/race/pics/zero4.jpg

OT: Sidi Ergo 2, size 44:

http://www.elisanet.fi/race/pics/ergo2_1.jpg

Nice stuff that Carbolift. I am wondering how much would my Pina Prince lose weight if there would be no paint in the frame...

carbolift

by carbolift

Good morning Tallboy! We have PM'd you. Our site looks quite spiffy on an ipad, hope you don't have a virus! We are shipping to WW board members, just be sure to mention WW in your email to "greenstripper@carbolift.com".

Have an awesome day!

Tallboy wrote:I like it half done ..I was half tempted to just do a panel of my track bike like that.. Or maybe just the backend as that's the bit that bugs me being white. Will you be able to use the liquid then sand over the top, or sand first then the liquid maybe to break the surface?

This must be reassuring if you own a Scott, you aren't gona scratch it any time soon!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Ueber-Nano?

http://www.concept64.fr/Pieces_Velos_sur_mesure/Mes_realisations/Entrees/2010/2/6_Pedale_concept_64.html

Just thought I'd post this as I think this guy is just incredible. The Speedplay idea is just the tip of the iceberg.

Enjoy, it's O.K. to be a little jealous, :P :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@VesaP: Thanks for showing your nanos. So, I'm close, but not close enough. I need to get these alloy bolts for the butterflies.

@FdeGrove, über nano indeed. I had seem them before, but forgotten about them. Thanks for reminding the weenies and me.

In the mean time I haven't been inactive with the frame, the down tube fell victim to the Carbolift. And to speed things up I bought a small heater that now silently heats the room that I'm keeping the frame in. Carbolift definitely likes heat, After 22 hours a rear cable stop looks like this:

Here is what I did:
apply carbolift for the first time
after 15 mins apply a second layer
cover it with cling foil
keep the ambient temparature above and around 22 deg C.
come back 20+ hours later and scrape the paint off

this is what the down tube looked like after the 20+ hours:

I'll post a picture of what the down tube looks like later today.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

ok, 10.000 views makes me think that people think this is an interesting subject. It would be nice to hear feedback from all of you viewers though :thumbup:

Here is a picture of the frame with a lot of paint gone:

mythical

by mythical

fdegrove wrote:Ueber-Nano?

http://www.concept64.fr/Pieces_Velos_su ... pt_64.html

Just thought I'd post this as I think this guy is just incredible. The Speedplay idea is just the tip of the iceberg.
I've seen these before, but looking at them again, it seems these Speedplay adaptations have a lower stack height... :D

Too bad Speedplay cleats still weigh a ton. :roll:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wcntan80

by wcntan80

Image[/quote]

My poor white frame :( ! Always into white frame. But, this is quite a gutsy project and God bless your patience and effort. Thanks, Frankie - B.

P.S. You can do mine when you're done with yours :mrgreen: .
Last edited by wcntan80 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.