I links pics. Regular and Mini. [Test report on page 3]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

PM sent to Prendrefeu.

BmanX: I'm using the regular I links for the brakes and the Minis for shifting ;)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

BmanX

by BmanX

Still lighter than Nokon's I would assume.

I might have to contact my source and get that person to order me the standard for brakes and mini's for shifting.

At least that will keep the look the same.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Frankie - B wrote:I'm using the regular I links for the brakes and the Minis for shifting ;)

So does this mean that the iLink mini's came with a different/smaller diameter teflon liner? I have iLinks brake and shift cables on my bikes and during installation, I do not recall observing any difference in the diameter of the liners between the brake and shift cable sets. In fact, the left over ilinks and unused liner have all been put in the parts bins and both the links and the liner are indestinguishable - black links and off-white teflon liner.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Yes, the liners are definitely another diameter. The mini I links are noticeably smaller in size then the regular ones. The regular I-Links use a black liner now and the mini's use a transparent liner.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

BmanX

by BmanX

Just a FYI on 1 Meter of Nokon's VS 1 Meter of I-Links

1 Meter of I-Links with 1.2M of liner = 24g

1 Meter of Nokons with 1.2M of liner = 39g

And with I-Link Mini's being lighter, I will be switching over to I-Links on both of my new builds.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

1 meter Mini i-link liner and housing 15,5 grams.

BmanX

by BmanX

You are the best. That 15.5g makes me very happy.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

bomber

by bomber

Any online retailer for these as they aren't available in Australia. Looking for black preferably.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

bcheung

by bcheung

What makes the iLinks so much more of a hassle to install?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm trying to approach this in laymen's terms as I'm not a native speaker.

Nokons are affixed to the liner as beads to a piece of thread. They don't move around. I-Links on the other hand are already connected and they can somewhat caterpillar like shorten and expand. you need to install it all when everything is compressed, but the strand of I links still can get longer by simply going slack.

I hope this helps a bit, but I think that a native speaker can help a bit better.

wezep

by wezep

I see different colours of the liners.
Black by the normale Ilinks and 'white' by the mini ilinks.
Are there also black liners fo the mini ilinks?

ms6073

by ms6073

bcheung wrote:What makes the iLinks so much more of a hassle to install?

I think this is a matter of preference as personally, I find the Nokon's more time consuming since you have to thread each individual 'pearl' (link) onto the liner. Alterantely iLinks are already 'snapped' together and to install, the user has to first insert the teflon liner into the links which due to the nature of the design allows the ilinks to elongate about .5-1mm per ilink. What happens is when you insert the liner, the ilinks elongate or the end of the liner can snag an inner 'lip' which means you have to pull the liner out a bit then proceed which makes inserting the line more time consuming.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

GZA

by GZA

Just for reference on this thread, I make Shimano SP41 outer cable to be 32.5g/m

fitty4

by fitty4

I had them with campy! pain in the %&# to take out of the hoods as they get stuck in there. Small screwdriver was pushed into the trapped link and out it went but it took me a loooooong time to figure that out. Great shifting though!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Here is a comparison picture in which you can clearly see the size difference.

I made a short trip on the roadbike yesterday and I was impressed with the shifting qualities. With Nokons I had to overshift sometimes to get the rear der in the right cog. now it was just like the X.O that I had on my MTB. shift and get immedeate action from the der. GREAT!

@wezep. AFAIK there is no separate liner available for the minis. you can do without it though and just have the liner in the sections of beads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com