HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm 

Sorry, should have mentioned the shifters too, yes, red. Thank you though for the info, now ordering for sure.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:33 pm 

MisterEd wrote:
Can you use powercordz with the ilink minis?
And if so then which size (1.2 or 1.5) and which liner should you use?

I am using iLink "Minis" with Powercordz (1.2) and it works pretty well so far. I used the stock Alligator liners that came with the iLinks. I also have the regular iLinks and Powercordz for the brakes with Nokon liners and that also works nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 am 

Hi Frankie.

How are your liners going? Staying in place or do you need to "heat and squash" them? If so, what exactly do you do? Won't squashing the liner cause friction on the inner cable?

Also, what sort of lube do you use? I don't have cable magic (or any other cable specific lube) and am too impatient to wait for some to come from overseas to NZ. So will a standard lube work (like,say a wax based lube like Pedros Ice Wax or maybe Purple Extreme being lighter?)

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

GJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:59 am 
Administrator

Hi Gearjunkie,

The liners are still fine as they are not moving around. Squashing them seems not necessary.
For lube I still use the good old Slippery spit from Shimano. I believe that that isn't made anymore, but any oil based lube will work fine. Personally I would not use wax based lubes, because I think that after they have dried out they will not keep the cable slippery.

Follow me on twitter. I try to be interesting ;)
On Facebook!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:55 am 

Well I've installed iLink for brakes and iLink Minis for shifting.

Both replaced Yokozuna outers with Gore cables. The Yoko combination worked very well but is weighty.... hummed and harred for a LONG time before taking them off the bike (function vs weight) but, well, this is WW after all, so the iLinks went on my WW bike, though I've left the Yoko / Gore combo on my commuter/second bike.

So far only done one ride with the new cables. 110km only so far. The iLinks worked very well (maybe not quite in the league of the Yoko's once you take into account that the iLinks are brand new so should be better) but crikey, those iLink shifter inner cables know how to stretch! I did my usual pre ride stretch routine (lots of shifting in the stand, then leave in the tightest gear combination overnight) but still had a lot of stretch during the ride. Used to having some, but this was lots.

Some install comments:

* Don't bother measuring your existing cables. The iLinks will follow such a different line that they will be a different length - shorter and .... lighter :thumbup:

* Lot's of experimenting to get the right length.

* Overall very easy (if time consuming) to install (thanks to Frankie's excellent tips!)

* I kept the RD loop length quite long in order to keep the cable bend relatively normal - it's possible to bend the iLinks much tighter than standard cables (esp Yokozuna) at the RD.

* Make sure to use plenty of frame protectors - those metal iLinks could make quite a mess of your frame.

* My brake adjusters (on KCNC CB1's) now work MUCH better than with the Yokozunas. Turn very freely so now important to use the lock nuts.

* On the flip side I can't get the Gore in line adjusters (on the shifter cables) to work while I'm riding. It's now necessary to hold both ends of the adjuster to make an adjustment - they just move too freely relative to the neighbouring iLink at each end. Still work fine in the stand (useful for FD adjustment) but not so helpful while riding - which is a b_gger when there's a lot of cable stretch.

* Overall performance is very good, and no doubt the stretch will settle down soon.

And the most important bit.... (using Frankie's "left overs" weighing method, which I didn't do as accurately as him because I threw some of the small leftovers and some of the small old Yoko bits out before weighing).... about 76g saved! :thumbup: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 pm 
Administrator

Thanks for the extra info gearjunkie! Good to read your experiences are about the same as mine. I didn't have the stretch issues you had though.

Thanks for the update!

On Facebook!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:39 pm 

Frankie - B wrote:
For lube I still use the good old Slippery spit from Shimano.

I am confused - is this to mean you add lube to the teflon coated cables supplied with the ilinks? I have not used any lubricant on the cables on our bikes (including my cross bike) and I got the impression that adding lubricant would cause problems which would cause the cables to stick inside the teflon liner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:52 pm 

frankie b & gearjunkie did you by chance measure the od of the housings? just wondering if they will fit campy 11s shifters?
thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:08 pm 

I haven't measured the od of the iLinks or the iLink Mini's. But I'm pretty confident that you won't have any trouble with the Mini's - they're very small. However the iLink standards (for brakes) may be a problem.

I'll see if I can remember to measure them at home tonight and get back to you.... unless Frankie beats me to it :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 am 
Administrator

Beat GJ to it! (what did I win?)

Outside diameter of Mini's 4.25mm.
Outside diameter of reg's 5.44mm.

Measured with digital calipers.

On Facebook!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 pm 

I'm running I-link and mini I-links on my Campag 10 speed units with no problems so they "should" work on 11spd.

Pegoretti Responsorium
Parlee Z5i
Donhou Commuter
1946 MacLeans Featherweight (L'Eroica!)
1991 Cannondale SM1000 (currently being renovated)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:58 am 

thanks guys for the info and quick responses
:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm 

I just picked up a set of iLinks. For Campy, does one run the outer directly into the shifter without the shifter connector piece? I'm guessing the instructions that came with the set are for Shimano shifters. Do the liners need to be lubed? Previously I lubed the nokons. However, the instructions don't mention this. I'll be running these fully sealed, if it matters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm 
Administrator

Thanks for your questions.

On my setup I:
-did run the outer directly into the sram shifter.
-did put some lube in the liner.

I think the last thing is a personal thing. Some people do and some people don't both seem to be happy with it.

On Facebook!

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:33 pm 

on my campag set up I used one of the shorter end peices to go into the shifter (not the lever peice with the alligator logo on it)

Pegoretti Responsorium
Parlee Z5i
Donhou Commuter
1946 MacLeans Featherweight (L'Eroica!)
1991 Cannondale SM1000 (currently being renovated)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next