road schmolke tlo oversize handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

steff

by steff

hello
is someone use this oversize bar and compared it with 26 mm one ?
what about stiffness and weight ?

wayyoung

by wayyoung

Hi
I am also considering buying one of this road handle bar. Is there any comment on this bar??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Check mcfk handlebar, it's cheaper, the same stiffess (check Fairwheels.com handlebar test), and can choose the finish.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

elfuinha wrote:Check mcfk handlebar, it's cheaper, the same stiffess (check Fairwheels.com handlebar test), and can choose the finish.

It's also heavier! My TLO (size 42) came in at 146g.
Speedplay is the devil!

Martin1977

by Martin1977

To my surprise, OS version is lighter than 26mm version. Last year I bought 26mm version 42cm c-c and they were something like 155g. I can not complain about the stiffness, but stem is what determines stiffness of front end in my oponion. I used them with Extralite and Tune stems. Tune is definitely better choice. Heavier, but much stiffer. Unfortunately, my bike and bars were destroyed and I bought new OS version this year.
I really like this new combination with MCFK stem. Bars were 145g 42cm c-c. Jure Berk joined them together for me and I really like this combination. Much stiffer than what I had. But I do not think that bars itself are stiffer. MCFK stem is great.
But those OS bars are really thick. I do not want to say, that it is good or bad, but when You hold them between shifters for example during climbing, they feel completely different. It is up to You, what You prefer.

But now, I prefer OS version. Much wider choice of stems (with 26m version, only 2 stems are recommended by Schmolke) and they feel great.

Just compare them from my Picture. OS version is nearly twice bigger at middle part than 26mm version.

Martin

elfuinha

by elfuinha

mdeth1313 wrote:
elfuinha wrote:Check mcfk handlebar, it's cheaper, the same stiffess (check Fairwheels.com handlebar test), and can choose the finish.

It's also heavier! My TLO (size 42) came in at 146g.

We are talking about less than 15g, depending on the size.
Those this differences really matter for the difference in price.

On a personal matter, I prefer the shape of the MCFK, regarding reach and drops.

About the stiffess on the front end, I've to concord with the answer above, it's about the stem. I've mine bounded by Jure with a Ritchey Surpelogic stem, and it's night and day diference in stiffess, regarding the bolt connection.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I know, but it's still WW. I also needed the reach and drop of the schmolke and I'm not disappointed. I do have a mcfk setback post and I love that.
Speedplay is the devil!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I have tlo and the mcfk. I like the shape of the mcfk with the swoop back. The tlo is much lighter though.

awoop$

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rosuch

by rosuch

I didn't love the Schmolke bar that I had. It was light, but definitely flexed more than other bars and the ends were too short for me. Great specialty item though.