Lowered price EDGE, namechange ENVE?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomx

by Tomx

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there are any retailers that will lower their prices on the EDGE labeled wheels and rims? Since the name change to ENVE you should say that they cant ask the full price anymore? I haven't found any retailer yet though...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

showdown

by showdown

Good luck with that.

mnslc

by mnslc

Won't happen as the product is still the same and all you have to do is change the decals.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'd pay more for the EDGE than the ENVE...it's lighter. Good Luck

sawyer

by sawyer

Is ENVE short for ENVELOPE?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

mnslc is correct, there won't be any closeouts on the rims or wheels as the only change is a decal.

The bars, stems and seatposts are printed and you'll see closeouts on them as the year goes on. The switch to Enve branded stuff doesn't happen in the U.S. until next year but we've already started to clear out some of our remaining stock and I'm sure some others will do the same.

giant man

by giant man

crappy name though you have to agree madcow!

TheBooger

by TheBooger

giant man wrote:crappy name though you have to agree madcow!

I agree. marketing/branding is the weak point. that's what you get when a bunch of engineering nerds run a company

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Edge was 100% better name.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

bwindsurfin

by bwindsurfin

Wondering if this was a legal issue? Edge has such a solid name in the market place and who has heard of enve? Lame sauce name if you ask me... if I buy any of their new named products I am taking the decals off.. :)

teterider

by teterider

The new logo looks like a general pattern and not a word. I know some graphic designer thought they were being slick, but that is not going to get them noticed.

With the name EDGE (or Madfiber, Lightweight, Reynolds, Zipp, etc), somebody who sees the wheels out on a group ride might go home and look them up on the web. The general brand recognition will be better. With the new ENVE logo, most people who see it on a ride won't even recognize that its a word, and have no idea who makes them.

by 11.4

It was a case of trademark infringement in Europe. They didn't want a different brand in Europe, so they had to change the name everywhere.

They are just replacing decals on rims. On those items that are silkscreened, such as stems, bars, seatposts, they are moving them out. You can get some good prices on them with the old logos. Only labeling has changed. The products are identical underneath.

Santoki

by Santoki

11.4 wrote: On those items that are silkscreened, such as stems, bars, seatposts, they are moving them out. You can get some good prices on them with the old logos. Only labeling has changed. The products are identical underneath.

Any clues as to where these good prices can be found - all the major sites still seem to be advertising at full price?

sharkman

by sharkman

As far as I heard the brandname edge was allready registered by Pinarello and if not there was also a Dutch producer that used the name before and also had to drop the name because of legal issues...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lighter=faster?

by lighter=faster?

TheBooger wrote:
giant man wrote:crappy name though you have to agree madcow!

I agree. marketing/branding is the weak point. that's what you get when a bunch of engineering nerds run a company

Based on my experience as a consumer and also (non cycling industry) employment I would rather deal with engineer-driven companies than marketing-driven companies.

I want better/more innovative engineering, and send the MBAs somewhere else where they can focus on next year's color scheme, product/model names, and other stuff that is quite unimportant to me. Like maye the car industry (eg. anyone else remember Pontiac and "longer, lower, wider?"...)

I don't care what they call the company as long as they continue to make very high quality products that are not too difficult to buy and to have serviced.
2009 HM SuperSix 12.75 lbs
BB30 CAAD9 crit bike 14.375 lbs
Cannondale Slice <15 lbs
Cannondale Capo track/fixie
Motobecane 9357 Fly
Ritchey Break Away steel road 15.5 lbs