Mavic Helium Shimano to Campy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ndbike

by ndbike

I've got a question for you guys about converting a Mavic Helium rear hub from shimano 8/9 to campy 10. I don't want to use shimano anymore and I really don't want to part with these wheels either.

I know one option is to buy a conversion cassette, but they are usually quite expensive and I've heard they don't work as well as the could.

Does anyone know if Mavic as a cassette body that can be swapped on this hub to make it campy 10 compatible?

Thanks!

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

All you should have to do is swap the free hub body from the Shimano one to a Campy one. Check with your LBS for cost and availability. Heliums, such great wheels!
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ndbike

by ndbike

Thanks Saeco! I was really hoping that would be the answer.

leonardo da vinci

by leonardo da vinci

ndbike, don't be too disappointed when you ask your LBS to call Mavic's importer, because you'll probably hear that there is no such thing is a helium campy freehub body. I wanted to do the same thing this winter when building up my first campy bike, only to discover that these bodies were not available. Don't let me stop you from trying, but don't get your hopes up either :(

ndbike

by ndbike

hey L.D.V., so what your saying is my LBS is going to say it doesn't exist? Did you have any luck contacting MAVIC? If it can't be done I guess I'll sell the wheels. I really don't want to mess around with conversion cassettes. Thanks!

anubis

by anubis

I wanted to make these wheels to campy comaptible a few years ago. It is not possible.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Unfortuantely Mavic didn't start freehub interchangeability until the 2nd generation of the Ksyrium. So first gen Ksyriums, and Heliums are not interchangeable.

A conversion cassette or a deraileur pull adapter are the only ways to go here.

ndbike

by ndbike

Thanks for the info everyone. Anyone want to buy a set of Mavic Helium Tubulars? :lol:

Boonen

by Boonen

why not use a c10 casette from mavic themselves? They work pretty good and last quite long.

jester69

by jester69

Well,

I have mavic heliums with a shimano freehub, but they are set up for campy with one of these:

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?c ... hiftconv10

The PO races and seems to ride a lot, and he said that it shifted flawlessly. I have yet to use it as my group isn't here yet, but he was an honest guy & we will both have full chorus, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

The cassette was an Ultegra, steel on alloy carriers, just like chorus, so quality isn't an issue. Only bummer is it only works with an 11t small ring, so no 12-25 13-27 etc.

American classic makes a conversion cassette with a 12-? or 13-? so i'll probably try one of those next time i'm near a hill.

Peas,

Jester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com