Roval CLX 50 - Tubeless Tyres That Don't Fall Off The Rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ymisyd

by ymisyd

Guys,

Seen some posts on here regarding the issue of tubeless tyres falling off the rim and into the rim bed when deflated, and wondered if any tyre combo works better in this regard?

I'm currently using Hutchinson Performance Storm 11 which, when new, inflate like a dream onto the rim but, once they've been on the wheel a while and deflated through a puncture, or to add sealant, they fall into the rim bed and, even with an Airshot canister, can take hours and multiple tries to reinflate.

I emailed Roval several days ago but, thus far, they haven't replied.

Has anyone used a tyre that stays hooked into the rim when deflated?

Thanks for your help.

jlok

by jlok

I think the conclusoin is the lack of safety ridges rather than the tyre itself??

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Yes my clx 50 doesn't hold the rim bead of my Rapidair tyres when fully deflated.
However no issues with reinflation with regular pump.
I don't own those boosters and doesn't need it.

Turbo cottons hold the rim better than the Rapidairs Ironically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Orlok

by Orlok

ymisyd wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:52 am
Guys,

Seen some posts on here regarding the issue of tubeless tyres falling off the rim and into the rim bed when deflated, and wondered if any tyre combo works better in this regard?

I'm currently using Hutchinson Performance Storm 11 which, when new, inflate like a dream onto the rim but, once they've been on the wheel a while and deflated through a puncture, or to add sealant, they fall into the rim bed and, even with an Airshot canister, can take hours and multiple tries to reinflate.

I emailed Roval several days ago but, thus far, they haven't replied.

Has anyone used a tyre that stays hooked into the rim when deflated?

Thanks for your help.
There will be stay hooked into the rim most of the times with rims of Reynolds. But all depends on the tyre and rim combinations and also if it is/was the first time mounted or even was mounted multipel times after. Some tyres becomes easier to mount after they where mounted and ridden and will not stay hooked into the rim when they are deflated, so be it.! :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

golty

by golty

That is a bit concerning, was thinking of getting a set of these for a new sworks tarmac but if tyres fall off the rim when you get a quick puncture or blow out sounds like it could be a bit of a safety issue? Think i'll get something else

Orlok

by Orlok

If you was riding with inner tubes and get a puncture most of the time the tyre fall off the rims too, so . . . . I think that you must deal with it.
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

ymisyd

by ymisyd

Thanks for the responses guys. By the way, it's been a week now and no reply from Roval. To be expected? I was hoping they might say the Specialized tyre range was designed to mate perfectly with their wheels, but I guess I'll never know......

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

GP5000's (tubeless) went on/inflated very easily, but would stay seat on my CLX50's. So I gave up and went back to standard clinchers.

However, I then took a gamble and picked up a set of C38's for my gravel bike, with the hopes of running tubless...GravelKing SK's went on perfectly, and do not pull away when deflated. So, I'm not sure if the rim is designed differently than the CLX50's (visually, they appear similar), or if it just comes down to what tire you use?

As far as Roval not responding...I emailed them once about tubeless valves, and got a response fairly quickly.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

golty wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:37 pm
That is a bit concerning, was thinking of getting a set of these for a new sworks tarmac but if tyres fall off the rim when you get a quick puncture or blow out sounds like it could be a bit of a safety issue? Think i'll get something else
They are awesome wheels, and clinchers hold the rim perfectly. But, yah, if you are deadset on running tubeless, then I'd probably go with something else.

Personally, I'm just fine with tubes :wink:

sethjs

by sethjs

I’ve generally found the clx 50 to not hold a deflated tubeless tire well. Beads pop into the center channel. I'm guessing the imminent revamp of the wheel will improve their tubeless performance.

I switched to enve for tubeless setups (they've held all tired when deflated no problem) and only run tubes on the rovals.

Note as someone else said, it's not about the hooks. It's about the bead lock design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Holding the tyre is part of being tubeless comparible. if the the rim cant hold the tyre use inner tubes.

I was speaking to dr swiss this week and examined this to them and how there rims lack the required feature and there repsosnce, no one has ever complained. If rim manufacturers dont know or care what they are doing then tubeless will never become mainstream. Instead at ertro meetings they are obsessed with the initial fitting. It's an appalling situation

pjctyk

by pjctyk

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 pm
Holding the tyre is part of being tubeless comparible. if the the rim cant hold the tyre use inner tubes.

I was speaking to dr swiss this week and examined this to them and how there rims lack the required feature and there repsosnce, no one has ever complained. If rim manufacturers dont know or care what they are doing then tubeless will never become mainstream. Instead at ertro meetings they are obsessed with the initial fitting. It's an appalling situation
Why would inner tubes be any better?

Jugi

by Jugi

Because even when the inner tube isn't pressurized, it's resting against the tire's beads and in essence keeping them in place. Remember, we aren't talking huge amounts of force here. When a tubeless tire loses pressure, it usually tries to revert into it's natural shape if there isn't friction or a "bead lock" stopping it.

tbabut

by tbabut

Today I've learned, that putting sealant in the tire before pumping it up makes life so easy. Before that I was fighting with the new Schwalbe Pro One TLE and my tubeless ready DT Swiss wheels.

AGB

by AGB

I've just started running tubeless as an experiment on my Propel SL0 with disc wheels and Schwalbe Pro One's......had the rear inflated for almost 2 months then had to change the valve core as it was blocked (hard to inflate) ....involving unseating one side of the tire to remove and check the valve for blockages...then soapy water and reflated on a track pump only, just as I initially set it up....too easy!!! Was expecting issues but it didnt happen.

Would recommend Schwalbe Pro Ones all day every day!!

They have truly converted me over to tubeless!!
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.00kg sans - WinSpace Hyper 50mm wheel upgrade

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com