HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:44 pm 
Shop Owner

^^^ That looks exactly like my PedalForce RS2 and the Fonderiest.

I have had my PF for 2 yrs. It has been absolutely awesome. I can't offer much in the way of the "Ebay" frames though. My really good friend did buy a Carbonzone from Ebay and I have to say it was really nice looking. Now if it holds up that is a different story.

I do however have a Felt FC on order. I liked/like my PF, but just due for something a little nicer. I loved my 08 Felt F2 so I thought I would go back to Fetl. All my TT bikes have been Felts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 pm 

Dag danoontje - that's a really good looking frame! I wish you good health to enjoy it! Which model is that and where did you purchase? I've just taken delivery of my R003 ISP (Hong Fu, Deng Fu FM015) from carbonzone on ebay and I must say I'm absolutely delighted with the frame and the service. I've thoroughly inspected the frame, checked the alignment, threads etc and can find no fault thus far. Like you I'll build it up over the winter and then it'll be well tested cos it's going to De Ronde van Vlaanderen cyclosportive!! Watch this space for photos and report.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:49 pm 

I am watching this space very intently and would gladly appreciate feedback from the owners after say 3-6 months of regular road use.

If there are no broken frames, bones and loss of teeth...I am buying one!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:47 am 

I would not risk for the frame from eBay even though the frame is made from the factory I know of. You may end up buying a defective frame.
In Thailand there was once Cervelo R2.5 from the factory from China. It is USD800 worth. after few month the frames were called for a claim, those lucky buyers get R3 replaced from Cervelo :?
Buying a branded one is to ensure you do not get the defective one. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:25 pm 

Quote:
Buying a branded one is to ensure you do not get the defective one.

Hmmm... I have two personal friends who both had Treks break under them and I well remember watching George Hincapie crash out in the Paris-Roubaix a few years ago when his frame broke (another Trek if memory serves). If you read the various forums there are now a lot of Chinese frames out there and the failure rate isn't any greater than the brand names costing a lot more money.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:56 pm 

I have build up a winter bike using a FM015 from Miracle Trade. Have ridden on it a couple of weeks and I like it so far :-)
Perfekt price for a winter bike and I am quite impressed with the frame so far.

Pics can be seen here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=692810#p692810

Good compromise between stiffness and comfort. Of course it is a bit on the heavy side, but hey - it was way cheaper than a "real" branded carbon frame. I didn't care for any paint - hey it's a winter training bike - and paint would add to the cost of the build!
Geometry is almost spot on compared to my Cube I use for racing, and the handling is very similar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:32 pm 

I'll "register" here. Have been riding my FM015 for about 3 weeks, I guess I have done about 200 miles.
I ride another bike when the roads are wet, which is most of the time at the moment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55945410@N03/5180438892/

No problems so far, I'm very pleased with it.

If I don't post again after 6 months, you can assume I'm too embarrassed...

It's obviously a bit risky, on the other hand a brand name will not necessarily spot
defects in any case.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:42 pm 
Formerly known as PezTech

synchronicity wrote:
Cheap carbon bikes? Image

We chose a plain carbon frame on purpose so we could apply our own stickers and increase our exposure with people out on the road...
Bought two Hasa frames from ebay in size 55 & 57cm. Look at the utterly disgraceful fork tube steerer!!! :x Image

Ironically I chose an aluminium steerer tube because I thought it would be stronger.
Note that these circumferential cracks are NOT visible from the outside... Hasa sandblasted over the entire thing so the dodgeyness couldn't be seen with the naked eye. :evil:

This is one of them after 61 days' use.
The 57cm version broke at the chainstay after just 60 days.
:shock:

That's why I only buy trusted brands from reputable sellers. :wink:

Nice...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:19 pm 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9436716@N04/2772828956
http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-139.html
http://www.everystockphoto.com/photo.php?imageId=2941384
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=155626

That's Trek, Calfee, Canyon and Cervelo with 30 seconds on Google. Nice. Why did you post that image? Please state in words the point you were trying to make. Or maybe respond to my earlier posts? You've made some wild accusations and I've called you out on it. You've also called people here spammers, trolls and chickenshits without having the courage to name names.

You have a lot to offer his forum. I would love to debate you based on facts. If I'm wrong I'll admit it publicly and change my point of view.

John Swanson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 pm 

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/search/label/Equipment%20Misbehavior

Edge Composites wheels, Look seatposts and more. All very respectable companies. My point is that anecdotally, you just don't hear about massive numbers of frame failures attributed to generic Chinese carbon manufacturers. Factually, I just can't make myself believe that buying a Hong-Fu, et al is an inherently risky proposition.

John Swanson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:32 pm 

Quote:
That's Trek, Calfee, Canyon and Cervelo with 30 seconds on Google. Nice. Why did you post that image?

I don't want to get involved in a controversy, but I do think it is pretty obvious that there is NO WAY that frame "just broke" while riding along and ended up in that condition. :D
That was involved in some kind of crash; and once a crash happens....yeah, stuff gets really broke.
Lightweight carbon stuf can get pretty mangled.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:56 pm 

Lol...the ultimate China build?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:44 pm 

Musiker wrote:
@ProbikeHire: Hope nobody got hurt when those frames failed!?

Nope, they were going uphill at the time. :unbelievable:

Obviously the steerer tube had defects in it, which caused the head tube to fail.
But the second carbon frame also failed, at the chainstay. No pictures of that.

It certainly opened my eyes. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 am 
Formerly known as PezTech

ScienceIsCool wrote:
Why did you post that image? .... I would love to debate you based on facts.

John Swanson

If you were concerned nearly as much with the subject of this thread (versus some other motivation in this and other threads), you would have seen these pictures were on the page 4... :lol:

They're Synchro's pics... I just quoted him and commented.

You're wanting to debate facts, You're the one following me around threads and doing all the shouting, so...

you go get the "facts"...

(gathering failure rate data from ebay sellers and no-name companies should be fun, if of debatable value)

The oldest troll tactic in the book is to put the work of gathering info on someone else (despite having none of your own) and claiming the high ground when they don't bother with it.

If neither of us produce info, at that point people will judge our opinions based on what they know about us...

I'm pretty comfortable with that...

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 am 

Well, rather than defame China, what was the specific brand and company that you bought from. Name names and we will avoid them.

I`m sick and tired of painting China with too broad of a xenophobic (racist) brush. Reminds me of the 80`s and the treatment of the Japanese. Then the Japanese could only copy the Americans when it came to cars and electronics.

This neglects the well-known fact that wherever there is manufacturing, the workers and engineers will take pride and try to improve the production processes. Engineering will follow. Engineers will add their expertise and improve manufacturing. Further engineering experience will lead to design improvements. In time, the universities will follow to provide the engineers and scientists that industry requires. Japan is now there, and in 20 years so will China. In the meantime there is a large country filled with skilled workers who take pride in making a good product. They are catching up and will complete catching up very soon.

I`ll debate facts publicaly with anyone. I`ll also admit when I`m wrong. Publicly. And change my perspective and point of view. I`ve been embarrassed too often as a scientist not to.

John Swanson

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 am 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next