The Bottom Line

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

So we all enjoy weight weenie-ing :)

my bottom line is:

The major part of the energy riding on the flat is air resistance - this means a rider's BODY aero profile constitutes 90%, and the bike profile is only 10% (surface exposed). A less than optimal position will cause fatigue and require more power to reach the same speed averages QUICKLY.

When climbing, a bike of 7kg versus 7.5kg will only have a difference of 0.5% energy savings for a rider of 75kg. If your position on the bike is not optimal, fatigue and energy wasted will make that 0.5% obsolete quickly.

The biggest improvements are made when
a) improve your aero profile on the bike for fast flats
b) improve your position for efficient power transfer - this is different for every rider as muscle flexibility varies from person to person.

After all this is optimized, minor differences in WEIGHT or AERO parts will make small difference, while physical capabilities will make more differences :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

strobbekoen wrote:So we all enjoy weight weenie-ing :)

my bottom line is:

The major part of the energy riding on the flat is air resistance - this means a rider's BODY aero profile constitutes 90%, and the bike profile is only 10% (surface exposed). A less than optimal position will cause fatigue and require more power to reach the same speed averages QUICKLY.

When climbing, a bike of 7kg versus 7.5kg will only have a difference of 0.5% energy savings for a rider of 75kg. If your position on the bike is not optimal, fatigue and energy wasted will make that 0.5% obsolete quickly.

The biggest improvements are made when
a) improve your aero profile on the bike for fast flats
b) improve your position for efficient power transfer - this is different for every rider as muscle flexibility varies from person to person.

After all this is optimized, minor differences in WEIGHT or AERO parts will make small difference, while physical capabilities will make more differences :)

That's all well and good, and nobody will disagree with you. But, you're preaching to the choir on this one. Read the URL; this isn't the Aeroweenies forum.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

doesnt hurt to get the feet back on the ground either 8)

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

strobbekoen wrote:doesnt hurt to get the feet back on the ground either 8)

I fully agree, again. And, you're preaching to the choir again; I ride a 17+ pound bike with no crazy-light exotic parts, which might as well weigh 40 pounds as far as most on this board are concerned! But I have great bike fit, I can ride all day without getting sore, and I'm quite aero.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

I found that by chopping my legs and arms off, not only do become more aero, more importantly I loose a lot of weight :wink:
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

After all this is optimized, minor differences in WEIGHT or AERO parts will make small difference, while physical capabilities will make more differences

I don't think the point of being a weight weenie is to optomize performance. I think it is more about being obsessive compulsive in bicycling. I would venture to say the average bike that is ridden by members at this site is probably cleaner than any other bike forums members as a whole. Granted, that has nothing to do with weight, but just another example of the obsessive behaviour of members here. I buy exotic parts because I can afford them, and I enjoy spending money on a hobby that makes me healthier. I would rather put $400 brakes on my bike that keeps the pounds off my middle age body than drop $400 into a new video card for the computer that will just make me not ride and get fatter.