New Sapim Super spoke

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gregorio

by Gregorio

and increases in strength by 120N in the middle section.

Do spokes ever fail in the middle section?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Epic-o

by Epic-o

$mokeyJoe wrote:Thanks jmartpr. I'm just searching around the net...

Maybe a good start for a new set...just as a mag90 hub that i would like to have in hands.

It will retail for 1500€ aprox. Start saving...

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

These are 1.8/1.4/1.8 mm spokes compared to Lasers and Revs and XL14s which are 2.0/1.5/2.0. They will be less stiff in direct proportion to their weight, as Eric mentioned. This is also the case with Ti spokes, since the elastic modulus/weight ratio is essentially the same for metals. Increasing the tension does not make the wheel stiffer... unless the spokes are going slack and the higher tension prevents this.

I'd be more excited if they were oval like CX-Rays...

Danton

by Danton

Indeed, as has been said on here many times, you need a certain degree of tension but once you hit this point, any additional tension is of little benefit and soon becomes detrimental to the wheel, in terms of spokes breaking and rims failing. More isn't better.

These should be useful spokes, especially for the front wheel.

mythical

by mythical

Danton wrote:Yes but as Andy2 says, they don't build into good wheels because of their elasticity.

People, please think a bit more thoroughly before loudly exclaiming such faulty hypotheses. :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Danton

by Danton

Maybe elasticity was the wrong word? (Sorry, English is not my first or second language)

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

My error.
Please forgive me.
The Pillar Ti standard round spokes, the one's I feel are comparable to the Tune/Sapim superspoke, are pretty elastic.
The flat spokes like the Pillar Ti Aero are equal to or better than the Sapim Cx-Ray / Dt Aerolite in the stretch department.
rolobikes

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'd be more excited if they were oval like CX-Rays...

End of story.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ScienceIsCool

by ScienceIsCool

andy2 wrote:The stiffness of the wheel is achieved through the tension of the spokes
where wheel geometry and the actual force achieved through wheel architecture is the most important factor determening wheel stiffnes.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/index.htm

Spoke tension does not change stiffness. What affects wheels stiffness is angle between spoke and rim, number of spokes, spoke material, and cross-sectional area.

Imagine a small block of aluminum, on opposing sides (left and right) a spoke-like wire is attached. These wires are tensioned a bit so that the block is sitting there with a spoke pulling in opposite directions.

The block has zero-sum force acting on it, so it stays stationary. If you push it to the left with Z Newtons of force, the tension on the left spoke changes by -Z Newtons, and the tension on the right changes by +Z Newtons. The amount the block moves will depend on the change in tension (Z Newtons) in each wire and the amount the material stretches in mm/N. The amount it stretches in mm/N will depend on the material type and the cross-sectional area.

Note that it does *not* depend on the starting tensions on the left and right spokes.

John Swanson

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

You do need tension, enough tension to pre-tension the wheel, right?! The wheel needs enough tension so that the riders weight + the forces acting on it are less than the prestress. This way the wheel maintains it's structural integrity under real life dynamic loads.
Kinda like prestressed concrete.
Other than that you're just repeating what I said in my post.
rolobikes

ScienceIsCool

by ScienceIsCool

Correct, the pretension needs to be greater than any applied load to help preserve structural integrity. Also, it prevents premature failure due to fatigue. Cyclical stresses that unload the spoke cause more fatigue damage than if the spoke remains under tension.

John Swanson

Bobbie

by Bobbie

Here is an article about the Sapim Superstrong spoke; www.wielernet.be/blog/58/sapim-superspoke.html (dutch)

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

ScienceIsCool wrote:Spoke tension does not change stiffness. What affects wheels stiffness is angle between spoke and rim, number of spokes, spoke material, and cross-sectional area

That's only true if you measure one deflection in a static environment up to the point where spokes go slack.
A bit simplistic.
In a dynamic environment where load changes due to a varation in rider weight, terrain and power applied to the wheel under different conditions, and any combination of those, the stiffness of a wheel is what you said, plus the stiffness of the rim, plus the spoke tension required to keep the wheel from losing it's structural integrity - this can show itself as flexing, spokes going too slack, or eventually failure due to repeated stress.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Are these spokes available anywhere?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com