Best Road Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Funny that the Campy Record and fulcrum RS cranks rate different in stiffness numbers, since they are essentially the exact same crankset. I wonder if that is a reflection or sample variance in two of the same model cranks, the testing procedure, or something actually differeent between the two? (also curious if each crank was tested several times and if so, what was the standard deviation in the measurements). A lot of these cranks as so close in the absolute deflection numbers that they could essentially be the same, give the noise in the data.

wacomme

by wacomme

SRAM Red is missing from the chart. Where would it fit in?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

It's an old test, pre-Red, but most more recent data skims the top end.

You can find Red on the Fairwheel Bike Test:

So around 5% stiffer than Record.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The dura ace crank in that test is 7800. 7900 is supposed to be 20% stiffer..

SLAKKIE

by SLAKKIE

Zipp looks great!!

kevinkalis wrote:Hi all,

I'm currently starting a new bike build and have acquired a few of the components but I'm slightly stuck on crankset choice.

I've narrowed the list down to a few potential candidates but am looking for some experience/advice. My main concerns are weight (obviously), stiffness, reliability and looks. I've listed them in order of preference.

Zipp Vuma Quad
Pros: Looks, Weight, Compatibility - BB30/Standard
Cons: Proprietary Chainrings

I've read on numerous forums about reliability issues with the Zipps. My main concern is the crank failing and me being stuck with a very lightweight, and ineffective, paperweight. I've heard a few horror stories of crank failure, bearing failure and Zipp's Warranty Replacement being essentially useless.

Storck Powerarms SL
Pros: Looks, Weight, Standard Chainrings
Cons: Expensive
Similar concerns about the Storck Powerarms as with the Zipps. Very expensive so I want to know they'll go the distance.

Dura Ace 7900
Pros: Price, Stiffness
Cons: Weight, NOT CARBON
At the moment, believe it or not, the Dura Ace cranks are the most realistic option, proven design, stiffness by which all other cranks are measured. My real issue with these are weight, being nearly 200g heavier than the Zipps

SRAM Red
Pros: Looks, Price, Compatibility
Cons: Weight
Seems good enough for lot of the pros riding the Tour de France.

FSA SLK:
Pros: Looks, Price, Compatibility - BB30/Standard
Cons: Weight
Price and looks are the only thing these cranks really have going for them, I really want carbon cranks but they're heavy and the last pair of FSA Cranks I owned ended up with the thread for the pedal seperating from the carbon - admittedly, these were one of the first carbon cranks made by FSA, about 2000/2001.

A few issues. I do a lot of miles, most of them in the rain/snow etc. so reliability is key. I'm not too keen on swapping the crankset out just for racing so ideally, whatever I get, has to be bombproof. You'll notice I also mention compatibility, the frame I'm looking to use is a Giant TCR Advanced, either the 2009 or 2010 model. From what I've seen, these frames use press-fit bottom brackets, thus making it essential for whatever crankset I get to be compatible.

Any help/opinions on this would be much appreciated. I'd love to go for the Zipp or the Storcks but I'm wondering if I won't be better off saving the 200 grams elsewhere and going for the Dura Ace cranks.

Could any of you give me your opinions on this. Ideally, if you've got some experience with any of the abovementioned cranksets like horror stories, proof of how amazing they are it would be most helpful to me making my decision.

As a side note, if anybody out there knows any other exotic cranksets I haven't mentioned, please feel free to add your suggestions. As well, before everybody adds the THM Clavicula, I haven't put it on my list because it's ridiculously ugly.

Thanks
Kevin
Preston, United-Kingdom

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Got a great deal on Zipp Vuma Quad from a fellow Weight Weenie member.

Kills me to see it sitting in the box until I can find a worthy frame to put it on.

On a separate note, anyone here have a set of standard Vuma Quad bearings?
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

mcrdave

by mcrdave

Just want to add my review of Easton EC90 crankset.

I bought it from new a year ago and it hasn't stayed tight for more than 2 rides in a row. Finally lost my patience with it this morning, took it off for the umpteenth time, cleaned everything re-fitted it, tightened it as usual and snap, over-tightened the 2 non drive side bolts. I hardly even gave it a yank, but it's been on and off that many times it was probably ready to go anyway. First time I've had a nightmare with any bike kit but that's it now, a worthless heap of expensive carbon.

runner999

by runner999

I have the Zipp Vuma Quad with standard bearings for almost 3 seasons and 10,000 miles. No issues with the crank or rings and the bearings are smooth as butter. I did buy an extra set of rings and bearings in case but have not needed to use them yet. The rings have held up well most likely due to my religious chain and drivetrain cleaning plus keeping a close eye on chain wear. Looks like Zipp has the ceramic bearings at there online store for the price I paid earlier for the steel bearings. :roll:

I'd like to hear from Vuma Quad owners if the ceramic bearings are noticeably better than the steel bearings. Might be worth upgrading.

BmanX

by BmanX

They say that the chainline on the Zipp Vuma's is very good but I think with the two washers and wavey washer on the drive side it could be improved is it appears to push the drive side out about 2mm more than the non drive side. Thoughts.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

eric

by eric

Juanmoretime wrote:I have the ceramic bearings on my VumaQuad's. The feel much smoother although I doubt it adds anything to performance. The only reason I did get them is because for $60 shipped how could you not? :wink:

Where did you get them for that? The list price now is $360!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I have had an Extralite E-Bones QRC crankset for the last year or so.

I don't think you'll find a lighter non BB30 set-up anywhere except for THM's.

They aren't the stiffest it's true but if you're not using DI2 then it's not a problem IMO.

Just make sure that the BB shell is properly faced. I assumed my VXRS was and had a nightmare until I faced the shell. Since then it's been flawless.

runner999

by runner999

Juanmoretime wrote:I have the ceramic bearings on my VumaQuad's. The feel much smoother although I doubt it adds anything to performance. The only reason I did get them is because for $60 shipped how could you not? :wink:

Juanmoretime - My new best friend. :D Where did you get them for $60?
Zipp's online store has them for $110 and I thought that was reasonable compared to the earlier list price of $300+

Vuma BSC ceramic BB bearings and cups

Replacement drive and non-drive gold cups with pressed bearings. Fits VumaQuad and VumaChrono cranks

110.00 USD

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I hope the best road crank set is the AX Morpheus. I've been waiting so long for it...it better be good ;)