Best Road Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tochnics

by tochnics

to be honest
if the clavicula had interchangebel spiders i would have it
also i need to have 30mm axle crank that fit in all type of frames
i have a carbon spider in 130mm and a black alu 110mm
add the same weight and much lower price and you cant go wrong
naturly for that you get less technology then the crank almost 1,5 x more in price
but for a mortal like me it works

i always had fibre lyte chainrings on my DA7800 and record crank, also new ones on my current lightning crank :wink:

edit: changed fibre lyte into lightning :oops:
Last edited by tochnics on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

tochnics wrote:
i always had fibre lyte chainrings on my DA7800 and record crank, also new ones on my current fibre lyte crank :wink:

Fiber-lyte makes a crank?

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Nope, it was a mis-type (see above) :wink:

I doubt that we could do any better than what is already available and the market is fairly swamped. I'm always impressed with smaller manufacturers coming out with new cranks (whether I like the crank or not) as it's a seriously competitive market.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Anyone have a bit more info on the Powerarms SL. They're a bit hard to come by in the UK. The only guys I've seen who might sell them are poshbikes and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

As well, does anybody have any real experience with them. Any problems, support issues etc. At the moment, I'm down to either the Powerarms or the Vuma Quad, they're the only ones that seem to tick all the relevant boxes.

It's been mentioned in madcow's crankset shootout that the Clavicula has reliability issues so I'm a bit iffy about them, any thoughts on this?
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

dieselgeezer

by dieselgeezer

I don't mean to be rude but if you couldn't actually see it, I reckon you couldn't tell if you were riding a real cheapo chainset or a helium filled carbo-titanium jobbie. If you just want expensive bling then buy it. I don't think it's going to make you faster; bigger legs & lungs will do that!

range
Shop Owner

by range

To me, it always comes down to the best bang for the buck. Recently, I was putting together a bike for a personal project, and I wanted to keep costs as low as possible. I needed a few SRAM Red parts, lower than cost. I can get the whole group for not that much money, but I didn't want to be stuck with extra parts in stock.

I ended up buying them on WW and they were a good deal. I paid $250 for a new SRAM Red crank (this is quite lower than cost). In my mind, this was a great deal because of the price.

This being said, of the cranks mentioned here, I'd probably want to try the Zipp VumaQuad next. Actually, I'll probably order one when I decide on my next frame. They have some new chainrings, or so I was told, which will make shifting that much smoother.

So in essence, if someone is trying to get a deal on parts, they should check out the for sale section on different forums and buy some stuff from other roadies. That saves a lot of money.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

7900 is the best.
Mass Weenie

kdogg32

by kdogg32

I run Campy Super Record cranks and Rotor 3D cranks. Both are very nice, but the Rotor cranks simply look awesome and are just as stiff.

sgray

by sgray

sgray wrote:I switched to the Easton EC90 crankset and love it, shifts better than my old DA 7800 crankset and around 100g lighter. And you can pick one up in the $400's.

Scratch the EC90 recommendation, mine failed too yesterday. Same problem as everyone else, the spindle has come loose from the drivetrain side. The day after I posted a recommendation for these they failed, go figure :roll:
...and now they're discontinued.

KonaScandium

by KonaScandium

I sure love my Campagnolo Chorus carbon crankset.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

dieselgeezer wrote:I don't mean to be rude but if you couldn't actually see it, I reckon you couldn't tell if you were riding a real cheapo chainset or a helium filled carbo-titanium jobbie. If you just want expensive bling then buy it. I don't think it's going to make you faster; bigger legs & lungs will do that!

This is not Cyclingnews forum, but Weight Weenies. Please make up if you want to actually contribute to anything here except from making blanket statements... :roll:

FWIW, The gram to dollar/euro/pound/etc ratio is very good on lightweight cranks compared to frames and wheels.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

kevinkalis wrote:Anyone have a bit more info on the Powerarms SL. They're a bit hard to come by in the UK. The only guys I've seen who might sell them are poshbikes and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

From what I gather they're a bit in short supply. Poshbikes are the UK distributor so if they don't have any chances are that no one else in the UK will.

karlch

by karlch

im looking at upgradeing my crankset but i just dont know which one to get i like the dura ace carbon but id like either the clavicula or the ax i think it will boil down to which i can get when the time comes.

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

7900.... or if you want to show your friends that you know something about engineering stiffness then go 6600... that crank is known for its AWESOME absolute rigidity. This is a FACT.
Mass Weenie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com