lightweight standard c III

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

CarbonSports - Can you shed some light as to the front hubs and bearings of the respective models? They seem to be LightWeight's own hubs? Are the bearings ceramic or steel (even for Obermeyar)? Thanks.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

Discoverspeed wrote:CarbonSports - Can you shed some light as to the front hubs and bearings of the respective models? They seem to be LightWeight's own hubs? Are the bearings ceramic or steel (even for Obermeyar)? Thanks.

It's all steel bearings (different types for Standard/Ventoux 240/Standard C <=> Obermayer/Ventoux190), as a carbon made bearing seat can't offer the narrow tolerances needed for ceramic bearings.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

that put a 900lb Gorilla in the corner of the room.... :D

Even though my original assumption about the bearings in my clinchers was incorrect and the previous 3 pages notwithstanding - I love my Standard C's - they are great wheels and I won't be rushing to change my bearings anytime soon.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

Hi CarbonSports, could you possibly answer the question I put concerning your website details? I bought my wheels based on this and it seems that the information is incorrect regarding the Standard C rear hub...

Lightweight Standard C - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 190 rear hubs" Hmm, no mention of steel or even "190s"!
Obermeyer - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 190 ceramic rear hubs" Should maybe be a warning 'not ideal for all day riding'?
Standard - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 240s rear hubs" Interesting why 240 not 190 to save weight? Is this a cost decision?
Ventoux - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 240 or 190 rear hubs (Ventoux 240 or Ventoux 190)" 190 ceramic or steel? ideal for all day riding?

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Great brand new article on the Lightweight Standard 111 C wheels - just tab down and you will come to the article.

http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

Nice article, thanks Lafolie. Even 'thewashingmachinepost' have been fooled into thinking that the hubs are DT190...!

I really think some further explanation is needed. CarbonSports are very careful (as detailed in the article) to warn and advise on the use/maintenance of their wheels, but now they say that ceramic bearings are not the best choice for all day riding. Why? What happens to them? Why is steel better suited? Why is ceramic used in Obermayers, and Ventoux?

As DucatiReacer says, CarbonSports engineers are the experts, so please tell us more of your thoughts on ceramic/steel. Would be really appreciated.

sharkman

by sharkman

Think there is some logic in using steel instead of ceramic.
I Know a guy that distributes DT hubs and he adviced to use the 190 for racedays (preferrably dry). For training and Mtb hubs he would stay with dt240s preferrably wiht the new ratchets (they sound a lot nicer too).
Imho. lightweights in tubular version are made for competition (especially the obermayers) and in this vision the ceramic option would be defendable.
The clinchers are more intended for "recreational" use and in this way have to be more reliable. In this way using steel bearings is understandable.

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

Thanks sharkman. I'm just looking for some expert guidance here. Are ceramic bearings less reliable then...and why?

Taka

by Taka

:shock: I rode with the shop's demo lightweight clincher on the flat club ride this morning (62km 33kmh) and I have to tell you... It is wicked.

Although there is a very strong wind from the north and most of the time I am struggling with the cross wind to hold on the bike, I am actually able to roll on nicely and able to tag on the back of the group. They played nasty boy to me today, turned on their turbos because I had lightweight on. I was able to dig deep and get on the back wheel even I left 2 bike length several times. Mind you we had gust up to 40-50kmh head wind on the way back.

Hmmm I should tell my background. I am an endurance rider who like to do double century on Australian Alps every summer and I have an Specialized S works Roubaix with DA and Kysrium SL (which I intend to be temporary before I decided on the one...). I was contemplating about tubulars but most of you have pointed out that if I get a puncture in the middle of nowhere (well in the mountains), that will ruin my ride!

The price to pay is to get a clincher with weight, like the r-sys SLR. Most aero clincher is over the 1300g mark. These lightweight clincher is the best of both worlds.

Another point is that the wheel is too flashy. Yes I should not care what other people think. But riding this is like driving the latest Nissan GTR. I will feel like a wank :wink:

Please tell me not to buy a set coz I am very close to putting the hammer down. Help!

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

oldtrackie wrote:Hi CarbonSports, could you possibly answer the question I put concerning your website details? I bought my wheels based on this and it seems that the information is incorrect regarding the Standard C rear hub...

Lightweight Standard C - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 190 rear hubs" Hmm, no mention of steel or even "190s"!
Obermeyer - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 190 ceramic rear hubs" Should maybe be a warning 'not ideal for all day riding'?
Standard - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 240s rear hubs" Interesting why 240 not 190 to save weight? Is this a cost decision?
Ventoux - "all rear wheels with DT Swiss 240 or 190 rear hubs (Ventoux 240 or Ventoux 190)" 190 ceramic or steel? ideal for all day riding?

As stated before we will try to communicate more clearly in future. For us it was not obvious that "190s" could lead you to ceramic bearings, as on the DT website there are only a "190 ceramic" and a "240s".
Ceramic bearings - in our opinion - are not the best choice to be used in bicycles: they like best high rpm, clean environment, the can resist high temperatures, they really don't like impacts. Very often ceramic bearings are damaged during mounting them!
Most steel bearings are less sensible - and they cost only a fraction of ceramic bearings.
Summing up I would say that steel bearings are the best choice if you want a wheel that is "advantageous" - not too sensible under bad conditions, not too expensive if you have to service it.
If you want the optimum in weight and something a bit "extravagant" then go into Ventoux 190 or Obermayer.

But... the wheels we are talking about here are the Lightweight Standard C, right? There are no "Obermayer" C... so we were trying to make the C as light as possible and so we used a rear hub based on DT's 190 ceramic. But as they still should be affordable without limiting durability etc we decided to use steel- instead of ceramic bearings.

And - last but not least - please stop measuring each word coming from me... I'm no native speaker and so I only can try to do my best to answer your questions.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

Danton

by Danton

Thanks Andreas.

I know other manufacturers have been "chased away" from this forum because of aggressive questions and people getting angry of translation of language but stick with the forum here and keep going!

I agree with what you say on ceramics. They are normally only suitable in the bottom bracket area here, and the performance gains are minimal, almost impossible to measure. Seals and lubrication choice make a bigger difference, although still small.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I for one would like to say a big thanks to Carbon Sports! I recently purchased a pair of Lightweight Standard 111 C wheels through wiggle. Unfortunately, there was a slight ticking sounds coming from the free hub. Unfortunately, Wiggle had no more Campag free hubs in Stock. So Alex at Carbon Sports very kindly sent a new free hub via Fed Ex to my address in the UK. it arrived the following day. Now, thats customer service!

They are great wheels and extremely fast. They climb superbly and motor like no other wheel I have owned. The German workmanship and engineering is second to none. When I look at many other full carbon clinchers on the market, none come close to these wheels. The proof is in the riding!

Thanks again :D

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

Thanks CarbonSports, I really do appreciate the response. I'm not sure which word or words you feel that I misinterpreted (I can't think that I did?), but if I did then I apologise. It's clearly a pretty commonly held view that ceramic bearings are better than steel, but your thoughts on the subject are enlightening and of value, given your expertise.

I will continue to have great pleasure from my wheels...so thank you for producing them!

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

Flyingfrenchman wrote:This is my take

I rode more than 10 000 km on each, I live in the hills and did travel to Europe in High mountain region with both wheels, I’ am a cat 1 with 400W of PAM I weight 75kilos

Reynolds DV46ULC: Great wheels the only issue I did have is spoke coming loose due to the initial built not enough tension since I retentions the wheels no issue. Work perfect with veloplugs and my wheels came lighter then advertise. Great all around wheels but not the stiffness not really a issue while climbing (I do most of my climbing in high cadence seated) but descending in very high speed mountains stage in Europe is only ok (keep in mind here that I’ am a speed junkie) if you descent in good speed and not at the limit they are find. In my opinion those wheels are better then most of the tubular wheels out there. Easy to find them cheaper then advertise and ease of maintenance and spare parts are great plus.

Lightweight Standard III tubular: For on road characteristics they are probably the perfect wheels they are light man they are light and they are Stiff out of the saddle they are incredible and in descent wow they are much better then the Reynolds. Breaking is find, similar to the Reynolds but in wet, they are worse then the Reynolds. Another downside is the comfort they are so stiff (I use Vitoria CX 21mm front 23mm rear 115lbs front and 120lbs rear). They are also better in cross-wind then the Reynolds even if the are taller as for aerodynamic I’ am not a wind tunnel. Downside obviously price and serviceability but they are strong enough to ride everyday.

hummm...these are very compelling arguments in favor of LWs + I saw jes' set yesterday. I want a set too!

Taka

by Taka

I can't stop thinking about these wheel after my last test ride. :evil:

I am worry about it's durability, service and warranty issues locally Melbourne, Australia. My LBS said they gain the dealership for lightweight and I want to go with them.

I am likely to use it in training wheel as well as long challenge rides. what do people think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com