CANE CREEK wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OLver

by OLver

What do you think about Cane Creek wheels?
The carbon rims are made by Reynolds.

They are not very light but it looks like the weight is concentrated near the hub.

http://www.canecreek.com/26.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jersievers

by jersievers

no, Zipp.

jersievers

by jersievers

Well, I'' be I am right and wrong.

58 is zipp, 46 is Reynolds and SL is Reynolds

Sorry

I would do the 46 in a heart beat...if I had the scratch. But, why bother, I think Reynolds has a good think going with the WI hubs on their wheels.

I like the why some other companies have done the Zipps with the small drill hole, only seems to make sense. Smaller hole, although harder to true, makes a stronger join in a carbon structure.

weiwentg

by weiwentg

jersievers wrote:Well, I'' be I am right and wrong.

58 is zipp, 46 is Reynolds and SL is Reynolds

Sorry

I would do the 46 in a heart beat...if I had the scratch. But, why bother, I think Reynolds has a good think going with the WI hubs on their wheels.

I like the why some other companies have done the Zipps with the small drill hole, only seems to make sense. Smaller hole, although harder to true, makes a stronger join in a carbon structure.

Cane Creek uses Zipp 404 rims, and Reynolds Stratus and Cirrus rims. they also make alloy wheels with Velocity Aerohead and Escape rims, and what look to be RItchey 27/28mm deep section rims (rear OCR).

their wheels are heavy. however, they definitely ride lighter than you'd expect from their weight. the wheels are fairly durable. they used to use Shimano 105/LX freehubs - a crime against humanity, the 105/LX freehub is nothing much and definitely is out of place on wheels that retail over $500. now, they use their own freehub, all cartridge bearings. I once had a pair of aeroheads. the front bearings were fine. the 105 freehub bearings were slightly gritty. I sold them off when I went Campy.

ms6073

by ms6073

Although I think most of Cane Creeks wheelsets are on the heavy side by 'Weigh Weenie' standards (especially for the price), probably the best aspect of these wheels is that because of the design, nearly all of the wheelsets are pretty much bomb proof when it comes to riding on bad roads!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"